Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe the gov. should require recipients to meet with a nutritionist and economist. And perhaps a behavior specilist to help change the eating habits of children of foodstamp recipients.
They do have programs like that. My friend worked under a grant in an administrative position, but I'm not sure if it was state or federally funded. They went to schools in poor area and gave programs about nutrition and how to best spend your resources and eat healthily. They gave out recipes and everything. They even had an experimental thing going where they grew produce on university property and made the vegetables available for low prices to encourage poor people to use them.

My friend lost her job when the produce part of the grant was cut. I don't know if there is any data on how successful this program is or was.

It wasn't a requirement for getting food stamps, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 PM

378 posts, read 424,552 times
Quote:
Being in the country illegally is well, illegal. Buying soda with foodstamps is not. If a person qualifies for assistance, who gives a flip what they buy with it. The problem is in the agency not or not being allowed to verify eligibility.
I didn't say it was illegal or not . . . I'm talking about the apathy - as expressed in your post here . . . I happen to care a great deal what the career welfarists are doing with the money, and I'm not all that keen on the notion of college grads who can't find work in the arts eating gourmet food every day on the hard-earned dollars of people who've worked and contributed - when THEY may have not worked a day in their young lives.

And then there's the topic of illegals getting welfare/food stamps . . .

As a LEGAL citizen of the US, EVERY person SHOULD damn well care what's happening to the tax dollars and who this frigging government is supporting and who they're casting to the outer fringes.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Do you mean that they shouldn't be allowed to buy meat (too expensive) or any name brand merchandise? Only store brands? Since store brands are generally cheaper equivalents of name brands, and often made in the same manufacturing plant?

Old 05-05-2010, 06:24 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Do you mean that they shouldn't be allowed to buy meat (too expensive) or any name brand merchandise? Only store brands? Since store brands are generally cheaper equivalents of name brands, and often made in the same manufacturing plant?
At most public assistance offices, they recommend you buy store brand, and use coupons, in order to stretch your assistance as far as possible. That being said, most people are too stuck in their ways of "only name brand will do" and will continue to be that way.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
I didn't say it was illegal or not . . . I'm talking about the apathy - as expressed in your post here . . . I happen to care a great deal what the career welfarists are doing with the money, and I'm not all that keen on the notion of college grads who can't find work in the arts eating gourmet food every day on the hard-earned dollars of people who've worked and contributed - when THEY may have not worked a day in their young lives.

And then there's the topic of illegals getting welfare/food stamps . . .

As a LEGAL citizen of the US, EVERY person SHOULD damn well care what's happening to the tax dollars and who this frigging government is supporting and who they're casting to the outer fringes.
I do care that the gov. agencies arent doing their job. I once worked in a gov. giva a way program so I have seen close up the abuse and apathy. And most of it was at the state and federal level. I just think it is more important to make sure these agency are run efficiently instead of worrying about what food is being bought with food stamps. Id like to see something done about fraud, perhaps time limits for assistance, work programs, etc.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Strangely enough I have seen welfare programs that were beginning to work that way until all the budget cuts started coming down. That is how it should work; with social workers, nutritionist and economists to assist young families in efficient household management.
I'm just a couple paychecks away from assistance. I know I certainly don't like to see people buying soda, chips and smokes with taxpayer assistance. IMHO then you get the double whammy by footing the bill for all the predictable illness that result from bad nutrition.
Too bad these programs are being cut. I remember when they taught household management in school. Think it was call home economics.
I agree that young families could use some nutritional education, even those not on assistance. I see well educated parents, even in the medical profession, feeding their kids, volt, mt. dew, etc. and chips and candy all the time.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Too bad these programs are being cut. I remember when they taught household management in school. Think it was call home economics.
I agree that young families could use some nutritional education, even those not on assistance. I see well educated parents, even in the medical profession, feeding their kids, volt, mt. dew, etc. and chips and candy all the time.
It's easy and convenient, and that is the problem. Same with fast food. It's fast, easy and convenient. We made a seafood alfredo dish, that fed 5 people the other night, for under 8 bucks, shrimp, imitation crab (yuck) and scallops with veggies and pasta and alfredo sauce... It would have cost us over $20.00 to eat at Wendys, with much of the food going to waste, and to the waist.. A little common sense and willpower can go a long way, it's unfortunate that most people are born without much of either.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:16 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,076 times
I don't know why it couldn't be set up like the WIC food program--in the WIC food program you can only buy certain foods which have nutritional value--milk, juice, peanut butter, dried beans etc--and they even have farmers market programs.

It could be this: you get coupons for $40 of fresh meat, $30 of fresh veggies, $20 canned goods, $10 nutrional beverages (juice/milk) and $10 other etc

Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 AM

what juice would you have them buy? Children's stomachs can't handle orange juice well, and it's hard to find any other "not from concentrate" juices in most stores anymore..

Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
what juice would you have them buy? Children's stomachs can't handle orange juice well, and it's hard to find any other "not from concentrate" juices in most stores anymore..

On the WIC program you are allowed milk and juice. The juice is suppose to be 100% juice and it's usually the ones in the cans. Juicy Juice (which I find hard to be 100% juice), apple juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, etc. It has to be in the can or frozen and is suppose to be the least expensive. At least that was the rule in FL. They started adding carrots around 1995.

It depends on the age of the children as well. They get formula and when they are over a certain age the start adding milk and juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates