Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times

Advertisements

I was at the grocery store yesterday and overheard a couple ahead of me bickering about the groceries.

The guy had separated the soda from the rest of the food items. The gal asked why. He said there are some things that you just shouldn't pay for with food stamps, soda is one of them. It's like cheating the government. He then said something completely stupid, racist, and the girlfriend snapped back at him and said she was hardly that person just because she buys soda with her food stamps. If the government says it is acceptable, she's buying it.

Made me think, I'm all for people eating well, but really? Do any of you feel people on food stamps shouldn't buy what they enjoy? Are Twinkies and frozen hot wings the equivalent of taking advantage of the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Dunno, never been on welfare, but I been real poor. To the point of living off the land living in tee pee better than 1,095 days... I only ate what nature could provid, but it was on Fedral land. Some of the trout weren't half bad either, but the bugs took getting used too. You learn what plants are safe pretty fast too, and when there is a trip to town to sell things hand made you spend for books to learn about what else there is to eat.

So no opinion really, just the idea of welfare scares me.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
I don't think it matters what they buy, as long as it is foodstuff. I do know it irritates people who notice stampers buying porterhouse steak and shrimp and food like that when they can not afford it themselves. I just believe that before stamps are handed out, the people need to be investigated a little, too bad it is against welfare "rules".

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Do any of you feel people on food stamps shouldn't buy what they enjoy?
No, they shouldn't. That is not the purpose of food stamps. There was a time when you could not buy water, carbonated beverages or any liquid beverages other than milk.

But of course, as any idiot would expect, the soft drink industry (Coca-Cola) lobbied the government to add soft drinks to the list of purchasable items.

People receiving government handouts, um, my money, should not be able to purchase tobacco, alcohol or gamble (including lotto and scratch-offs). They should also be forced to cancel their cell-phone and cable services.

Food Stamp fraud is still rampant. Hang out at any grocery store in a low income area and you'll be approached by people trading their food stamps for cash. The going rate is usuall 1/2 the value (ie $100 in food stamps equals $50 cash).

Old 04-30-2010, 07:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Dunno, never been on welfare, but I been real poor. To the point of living off the land living in tee pee better than 1,095 days... I only ate what nature could provid, but it was on Fedral land. Some of the trout weren't half bad either, but the bugs took getting used too. You learn what plants are safe pretty fast too, and when there is a trip to town to sell things hand made you spend for books to learn about what else there is to eat.

So no opinion really, just the idea of welfare scares me.
I don't think you are being fair in saying that just because you can live in a teepee and endure the bugs, so can a single mom who's never been on her own, whose sociopath husband abandoned her and the kids and took everything in a Michigan winter. The government should jut blow off everyone who doesn't have your survival skills.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
If you want people on food stamps to buy real food, you're simply going to have to give them more money.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I don't think it matters what they buy, as long as it is foodstuff. I do know it irritates people who notice stampers buying porterhouse steak and shrimp and food like that when they can not afford it themselves. I just believe that before stamps are handed out, the people need to be investigated a little, too bad it is against welfare "rules".
I think they should all be tested for drugs, but that's another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, they shouldn't. That is not the purpose of food stamps. There was a time when you could not buy water, carbonated beverages or any liquid beverages other than milk.

But of course, as any idiot would expect, the soft drink industry (Coca-Cola) lobbied the government to add soft drinks to the list of purchasable items.

People receiving government handouts, um, my money, should not be able to purchase tobacco, alcohol or gamble (including lotto and scratch-offs). They should also be forced to cancel their cell-phone and cable services.

Food Stamp fraud is still rampant. Hang out at any grocery store in a low income area and you'll be approached by people trading their food stamps for cash. The going rate is usuall 1/2 the value (ie $100 in food stamps equals $50 cash).
If you win above a certain amount in the lottery, you will have to pay DSS back.

I think cancelling their cell phones is a bit excessive, especially when most people have eliminated their home phones.

I agree FS fraud is a problem, but there are people out there who legitimately need it; the disabled, the elderly, single parents and those who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.

As to the "my money" statement, many of these people have also paid into these "hand outs". As such, it is their money. It doesn't stop being so when they lose their income.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
I used to work for Schwan's Home Delivery service. They accept food stamps and other welfare benefits. I think this is BS. Now, don't get me wrong. Schwan's has great food, but it is significantly higher priced than the same item you could buy at Wal-Mart, Winco, a or similar place. You are paying for the convenience of home delivery.

My family is struggling financially at the current time. We do not get welfare benefits. We shop as economically as possible. This means shopping at locations that will make our dollar stretch as far as it can.

I remember when I used to live in Glendale, Ca. It has a massive Armenian population. It was not uncommon to see them pay for $200 worth of groceries with food stamps, and then whip out $100 dollar bills for five or six bottles of hard liquor that followed the food on the belt. The standards need to be tightened. Nothing new, but I think they should all be drug tested to be able to acquire the welfare. This would eliminate a lot of the garbage on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:20 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Like these guys:
32 indicted in NYC welfare fraud crackdown - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Fraud exists. However, I think that I could probably make an argument for being hypercritical for each and every person because whatever they are doing is devestating to society or has some money from taxes for which *I* have paid/am paying into.

Frankly, I find that exhausting.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I used to work for Schwan's Home Delivery service. They accept food stamps and other welfare benefits. I think this is BS. Now, don't get me wrong. Schwan's has great food, but it is significantly higher priced than the same item you could buy at Wal-Mart, Winco, a or similar place. You are paying for the convenience of home delivery.

My family is struggling financially at the current time. We do not get welfare benefits. We shop as economically as possible. This means shopping at locations that will make our dollar stretch as far as it can.
I dunno, it really sounds like sour grapes. Those who are on welfare are not living the good life. And if they spend carelessly, they will go without, like anyone else. I say if you qualify, take advantage of what you have paid into.

Quote:
I remember when I used to live in Glendale, Ca. It has a massive Armenian population. It was not uncommon to see them pay for $200 worth of groceries with food stamps, and then whip out $100 dollar bills for five or six bottles of hard liquor that followed the food on the belt. The standards need to be tightened. Nothing new, but I think they should all be drug tested to be able to acquire the welfare. This would eliminate a lot of the garbage on the taxpayer's dime.
I agree. I'd have a problem with this as well. Drug testing costs money and the govt. will surely have to foot the bill. But, considering how much they are losing in welfare fraud, it would probably be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates