Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

You keep raising the same issues and my answer remains the same. Less than 2% of all US traffic fatalities are blamed on commercial drivers, and only a very tiny number of those, is driver fatigue implicated.

By the way, there is absolutely no way that any "competency test" would weed out crazy people. Crazy people's eyesight and reflexes are the same as everyone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:57 AM

968 posts, read 2,625,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You keep raising the same issues and my answer remains the same. Less than 2% of all US traffic fatalities are blamed on commercial drivers, and only a very tiny number of those, is driver fatigue implicated.

By the way, there is absolutely no way that any "competency test" would weed out crazy people. Crazy people's eyesight and reflexes are the same as everyone else's.
they may be the same, but crazy people (at least the individuals i'm refering too) are crazy...they may have the same reaction speed and eyesight, but their competency is lacking, therefore they would fail the test. having good eyesight and fast reflexes does not gaurentee you would make a good judgement call when the 65 year old 18 wheeler driver is deciphering what the heck you're gonna do.

Truck drivers are fine, its these idiots on the road that cause these truck drivers to crash, people on phones, people texting, people playing with their handguns while not watching the damn road! (oh wait i think the gun thing is only a problem here in texas) if drivers were more courteous there would be no problems for truck drivers over 65.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 AM

731 posts, read 1,580,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why only truckers? Let's forbid any driving by anyone younger than 27 and older than 50. There was an accident just yesterday here where a 25-year-old hit a dodge in his kia. Last week, a 51-year-old ran into a ford truck with his nissan. These age groups have no business AT ALL on the road.
How do you propose these people younger than 27 and older than 50 get to work, to class or take the child to the daycare or school? Rural people commute up to 60 miles everyday to work or further depending on the occupation. I am 55 years old and have an excellent driving record. I am not too old to drive.

Someone 75 years old should be retired and not needing to drive a long haul truck for a living. That is probably the exception and not the rule for truck drivers.

I don't see anything wrong with the current system. People take risks everytime they on on the highway. Most people drive too fast and I don't know that it is a certain age of people who constantly speed along.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:17 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,350 times
Its Highway or the Hardway .. whatever it be its their(Lawmakers) way !

Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,619 times
I have often thought that everyone should take a test when renewing their drivers license every other year or after 5 years, whenever. However, I don't think that would work very well because almost everyone knows how to pass a test.

Less people actually know how to drive. Showing competency in the real world is a different sort of thing altogether.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
they may be the same, but crazy people (at least the individuals i'm refering too) are crazy...they may have the same reaction speed and eyesight, but their competency is lacking, therefore they would fail the test. having good eyesight and fast reflexes does not gaurentee you would make a good judgement call when the 65 year old 18 wheeler driver is deciphering what the heck you're gonna do.

Truck drivers are fine, its these idiots on the road that cause these truck drivers to crash, people on phones, people texting, people playing with their handguns while not watching the damn road! (oh wait i think the gun thing is only a problem here in texas) if drivers were more courteous there would be no problems for truck drivers over 65.

What do you mean by people in Texas play with hand guns while driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates