Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:07 PM

5,670 posts, read 5,106,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
If you read the ordinances for the county you are led to believe that you will be protected if your neighbor does not abide by the rules - when the county writes something that can not be enforced, is that my fault - HELLO NO I tried to participate. When someone LIES to a deputy sheriff while that deputy is doing his job(sorta) then he risks going to jail - just ask D. Sullivan I think he would agree to that ??? Move I will but I'll be Fuc*** if I am going to take less than what my house is worth because Num Nuts has a mental condition and can't clean up his act..... and the county just ignores it. "feel good laws" was what one inspector told me the ordinances represented - I would like to see his neighborhood and will bet that he doesn't live near anything like this
Uhm... ok. Are you sitting too close to the monitor again?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:19 PM

445 posts, read 1,607,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Uhm... ok. Are you sitting too close to the monitor again?
Must be - I thought you were here to stir the pot ??? Do you think the radiation from the monitor has affected my mind ? I have a flat panel so radiation is minimal - Where the HELLP is Artey did he move to Arkansas - no one else ever have an issue the way code enforcement carries out their duties ???

Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,333,366 times
Quote:
If you read the ordinances for the county you are led to believe that you will be protected if your neighbor does not abide by the rules - when the county writes something that can not be enforced, is that my fault - HELLO NO I tried to participate. When someone LIES to a deputy sheriff while that deputy is doing his job(sorta) then he risks going to jail - just ask D. Sullivan I think he would agree to that ??? Move I will but I'll be Fuc*** if I am going to take less than what my house is worth because Num Nuts has a mental condition and can't clean up his act..... and the county just ignores it. "feel good laws" was what one inspector told me the ordinances represented - I would like to see his neighborhood and will bet that he doesn't live near anything like this
In my State, the County has absolutely NOTHING to do with Deed Restrictions (writing).

Old 05-20-2010, 04:07 PM

45,579 posts, read 60,955,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In my State, the County has absolutely NOTHING to do with Deed Restrictions (writing).

The biggest mistake people living in HOAs make concerning enforcement of their covenants is to think the local government (Town, County, Township) enforecs them. They don't and quite honestly the government wants no part of enforcing them. The CCRs will be filed with the local government as part of the sub-division approval process and as long as they don't violate the overall zoning code (for architecture/facade for example) enforcement of them is an HOA function.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
...enforcement of them is an HOA function.
Enforcement takes place by encouragement/reminders (such as letters), monetary fines/liens, and as a last result, self-help (in the worst case backed by a court). The lawyers make out big time in any case as they must be involved in the latter two.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 AM

26,121 posts, read 19,072,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
My original point was that we already forbid HOAs from doing quite a few different things, for public policy reasons.

The FCC has regulations about what sorts of satellite dishes must be permitted (for some reason, this is something HOAs tend to ignore, since a lot of them get sued in court and lose over satellite dishes).

HOAs cannot - for instance - require you to maintain a propane tank on your property that feeds an "eternal flame" simply because "it makes things look prettier." As a matter of public policy, certain wasteful behaviors cannot be required by an HOA.

I'm looking at this from the public policy perspective - should any HOA have the power to ban things such as solar panels, clotheslines, natural pools, or xeriscaping (in place of grass)?

Perhaps not. Perhaps the public policy arguments overwhelm the 'preferential' arguments that could be made by some HOAs.

In any case, the result of these policies is to increase personal freedom.

If we ensure by law that all homeowners can use solar panels or clotheslines if they so choose, that is an overall increase in American liberty.
HOA's don't care about American liberty. They are caught up in their version of Utopia. I guess the bottom line is that there will always be those who wish to exercise control over others. Nothing's gonna change that. Luckily, we can avoid moving into an HOA, just as we can avoid immigrating to a totalitarian nation. And if you are in an authoritarian HOA, you can always emigrate. Just make sure your paperwork is in order at the border.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And if you are in an authoritarian HOA, you can always emigrate. Just make sure your paperwork is in order at the border.
Yeah, in our neighborhood we have strict border control. The immigration booth (aka, "Checkpoint Charlie") is located between the guard towers, just past the currency exchange. Be sure to visit our duty free shop while here!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:54 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,074,101 times
I guess I'm in the minority, but I appreciate our HOA. For the most part, they're very nice and helpful people who put in a lot of hours organizing events and managing neighborhood facilities like our swimming pools, tennis courts, and frisbee golf course. They plan community garage sales and holiday celebrations and support a variety of social clubs for homeowners of all ages. I love living here, and never have I felt that the HOA is heavy-handed.

Lots of our neighbors have solar panels, and as far as clotheslines, I use a temporary version on my patio or hang it from the line in my basement. I think our covenants require that a clothes line must not be visible from the street or walking paths. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,812,361 times
What the hell is the big deal with this stupid thread. Really? You have a frigging choice. DONT MOVE INTO AN HOA if you don't like the CC&R's. Isn't the real point about being PROCHOICE! Having control over your own bodies to move where you want. Some of you act like your in prison and have no recourse to the living conditions. But its not FAIR! Life is not frigging fair. Didn't your parents ever teach you that. Biggest bunch of crybabies I've ever seen.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 AM

59,438 posts, read 27,599,422 times
Quote:
I am not dis-claiming anything you wrote. But, I am confused. You mention county ordinances. Are you in a HOA community?

HOA rules cannot supersede county, state or federal laws.

I just don't understand what you are trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates