Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
the value of all of the houses around you falls
Well, I'm not sure that solar panels have that effect, but let's assume it were true. At that point, it would become a balancing test between public interest and the private interest of the association.

For instance, let's say that home prices always rise for some reason if people install machines out front that do nothing but use huge amounts of energy and water to power some sort of glowing sphere.

We might well forbid HOAs from making those spheres mandatory, simply due to the potential negative impact on society as a whole.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:40 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
who the hell opposes solar panels? I mean, I guess I can see the clothesline thing, even though most of these hoity toity HOA residents have privacy fences anyway
Many of these restrictive covenants were put in place in the 1980s and '90s when nobody ever thought of solar panels. You need to read your HOA regulations and see if they particularly restrict the solar panels. The HOA might me willing to re-evaluate some of their restrictions.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
... Should there be a national law making it clear that HOAs do not have the power to forbid energy-saving measures such as solar panels or backyard clotheslines?

Ab-so-ta-ta-lutely NOT! A FEDERAL LAW??????????? No way, Buster. If the feds did decide that solar panels were so important that it was worth trashing the constitution for a few more rooftop solar panels, then I'm sure they'd also make it illegal for HOAs to nix windmills, and maybe sheep and chickens too, and how 'bout your own personal little oil derrick? Asphalt should be outlawed, maybe concrete too.

I'd like to see a law that before any new federal law can be passed, two old ones have to be eliminated.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
There should be an initiative that gives incentives to homeowners AND hoa's to enact energy saving practices. If a HOA gets a certain percentage of it's residents to add solar panels or energy saving upgrades, they should get kick back from the government in the form of a tax break

Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
HOA's and Condo boards generally restrict clothesline because they are a sign of poverty because they say the owner is not rich enough to pay for a cloths dryer. Ours restricts solar panels because the association is responsible for the roof and siding. They tried to restrict satellite TV antennas but were overruled by Federal Law. They also like things to look almost military neat.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
who the hell opposes solar panels? I mean, I guess I can see the clothesline thing, even though most of these hoity toity HOA residents have privacy fences anyway
It there is a six foot wood fence, why would a clothesline bother anyone?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
HOA's and Condo boards generally restrict clothesline because they are a sign of poverty because they say the owner is not rich enough to pay for a cloths dryer. Ours restricts solar panels because the association is responsible for the roof and siding. They tried to restrict satellite TV antennas but were overruled by Federal Law. They also like things to look almost military neat.
Tell them to go and join the Army....

Old 05-13-2010, 07:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I tried but they would not budge. They all want to appear much more sucessful than they are.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
I thought this was an interesting article about clashes between HOA rules and various "green-living" strategies, such as solar panels, outdoor clotheslines, or even replacing grass lawns in arid regions with xeriscaping.

Green practices conflict with homeowner association rules

Some states have laws forbidding HOAs from prohibiting solar panels in particular. Many do not.

Should there be a national law making it clear that HOAs do not have the power to forbid energy-saving measures such as solar panels or backyard clotheslines?
That one was already fought in Arizona and lost. The Federal Government is giving an energy savings tax credit so the HOA is contradicting a Federal Program

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not sure that solar panels have that effect, but let's assume it were true. At that point, it would become a balancing test between public interest and the private interest of the association.

For instance, let's say that home prices always rise for some reason if people install machines out front that do nothing but use huge amounts of energy and water to power some sort of glowing sphere.

We might well forbid HOAs from making those spheres mandatory, simply due to the potential negative impact on society as a whole.
If you don't like the HOA's rules, don't join it.

Its that simple.

It never fails to amaze me that people enter into contracts, then want out of the contracts, once they no longer like the terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.