Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

The point of this whole thread is like this.

If the government passes a law, no matter what it is, based on morals, if a large majority of the population isn't ok with it, then its pointless.

We don't need laws to tell us that murder is wrong. We don't need laws to tell us that stealing is wrong. Yet, we have them, not to tell us its wrong, but to give us security from those that would hurt others.

Yet we have laws legislating marriage, drugs, birth control, adultery, etc that a large majority of people don't support. What good do these laws do? Many times they aren't enforced, or they are ignored by those that choose to do what they want anyway.

Then we end up wasting time, money, and man power legislating someones version of morals that most people couldn't care less about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Acts that don't inherently harm non-consenting individuals
Yeah, and "don't inherently harm non-consenting individuals" is always cut and dry. Got it.

Quote:
Criminalizing such personal choices is simply fascist.
Thinking people should be allowed to do more or less whatever they want is anarchist silliness. Neither extreme makes any sense.

Quote:
People are worried about the govt raiding their house for their guns.. no, that's not happening. But 100s of drug raids happen every day. Open your eyes people.
Yeah, I wish they'd stop harassing those well-meaning drug lords whose only crime was trying to peddle crack and heroin. The horror!

Quote:
On another note, prostitution is another personal choice that doesn't inherently harm non-consenting adults. It's such a ridiculous law
um I think you meant to say "prostitution is another personal choice that doesn't inherently harm consenting adults." But it's still a ridiculous statement. Do you really believe this stuff you're throwing out or this is all just for the sake of the debate?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The point of this whole thread is like this.

If the government passes a law, no matter what it is, based on morals, if a large majority of the population isn't ok with it, then its pointless.

We don't need laws to tell us that murder is wrong. We don't need laws to tell us that stealing is wrong. Yet, we have them, not to tell us its wrong, but to give us security from those that would hurt others.

Yet we have laws legislating marriage, drugs, birth control, adultery, etc that a large majority of people don't support. What good do these laws do? Many times they aren't enforced, or they are ignored by those that choose to do what they want anyway.

Then we end up wasting time, money, and man power legislating someones version of morals that most people couldn't care less about.
Most of those "morals" laws are not enforced with any diligence. If there is a murder or a theft, it has a victim, it gets reported to the police, it remains an open file under investigation, and as nearly as possible, all of them are cleared by arrest resulting in a prosecution. But the morals laws are very loosely enforced, with a few highly politicized exceptions (like drugs), and people can pretty much violate the moral laws at will as long as they are smart enough to keep their head down and have average luck.

The morals laws exist only to appease a public that clamors for them. They are also useful in other political ways. For example, if Florida you can make sure that black people do not get to vote, by arresting them all and finding some trumped up crime that they supposedly committed, plea bargaining, and removing them from the voting lists.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Yeah, and "don't inherently harm non-consenting individuals" is always cut and dry. Got it.
Not always, but usually it is cut and dry. "Does this act harm a non-consenting individual?" yes/no

Why don't you bring up an example where it isn't cut and dry and we can work through it.

Quote:
Thinking people should be allowed to do more or less whatever they want is anarchist silliness. Neither extreme makes any sense.
Then you don't understand what I'm saying. My views are in line with the founding fathers who believed in liberty. Robbing, imprisoning and blacklisting should not be inflicted on people who aren't hurting non-consenting individuals.

I'm not talking about doing away with criminal laws altogether, only the ones that don't protect non-consenting individuals from harm.

Quote:
Yeah, I wish they'd stop harassing those well-meaning drug lords whose only crime was trying to peddle crack and heroin. The horror!
The dealers and the buyers are both consenting. As long as no minors are involved, why does the govt have the right to destroy a person's life for this?

The govt peddles alcohol which is as deadly as crack and heroin, yet you wouldn't want to arrest people for possessing alcohol.

Quote:
um I think you meant to say "prostitution is another personal choice that doesn't inherently harm consenting adults."
No, actually I meant to say non-consenting individuals. The point is, consenting adults should have the right to do whatever they want as long as no non-consenting individuals are harmed by the act. Although I generally agree with your version too, that not even the consenting adults would be harmed by participating in prostitution.

Quote:
But it's still a ridiculous statement.
Why? No support for this bald assertion?

Quote:
Do you really believe this stuff you're throwing out or this is all just for the sake of the debate?
Yes I do. Do you believe the stuff you are throwing out? Have you even thought about it enough to support your opinion? Or are you just knee-jerk reacting based on your conditioning from society?

Last edited by LogicIsYourFriend; 05-27-2010 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-27-2010, 08:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcs View Post
Can anyone cite even one time when passage of a law succeeded in eliminating the act or substance which was made illegal.
Exactly, its never happened. Those that are going to do something, are going to do it whether its legal or not.

Those that aren't going to do it, aren't going to do it, whether its legal or not.

Thus, the futility of trying to legislate morality.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 PM

24 posts, read 46,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Exactly, its never happened. Those that are going to do something, are going to do it whether its legal or not.

Those that aren't going to do it, aren't going to do it, whether its legal or not.

Thus, the futility of trying to legislate morality.
I see my original post was deleted as off topic although I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates