Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 01:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Isn't it interesting that some people feel this way. IMO, it's 'evil' to NOT have your kids help around the house and do family chores. It's a huge disservice to them if the parents let them lie around playing video games and eating Cheetos all day long. They learn basically nothing about what it takes to put food on the table as an adult.
It made no sense. Someone asked me how children could help the family, and I gave examples. Like mowing the yard, tending a garden and possibly live stock, helping raise their siblings, getting odd jobs around the neighborhood, like mowing others peoples yards for some extra cash.

Yet, I was told that that was evil, and I was going to have children so I could be lazy, and they'd support me.

Not once did I say I wasn't going to work, not once did I say I was going to sit on my butt, watch TV and impregnate women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 01:12 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,323,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It made no sense. Someone asked me how children could help the family, and I gave examples. Like mowing the yard, tending a garden and possibly live stock, helping raise their siblings, getting odd jobs around the neighborhood, like mowing others peoples yards for some extra cash.

Yet, I was told that that was evil, and I was going to have children so I could be lazy, and they'd support me.

Not once did I say I wasn't going to work, not once did I say I was going to sit on my butt, watch TV and impregnate women.

Show me my words that I said this was evil please, thank you.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Actually, yes...I started with your first. Didn't miss a one. I read your children can help support the family financially...work them in the fields, etc.
I also read you blurb on post 23, you still haven't made your case that YOU are supporting all the kids you would rear.

Just so you know the MAN UP didn't just reference someone who wants to live in his wifely harem...the rant would be the same to ANY couple who procreates without the finances to support their family. Don't EXPECT the kids to support YOU, that is the point and all too many times in these situations (too many kids without the funds to afford them) the tax payer is going to foot the bill for them. It isn't fair to society OR the children you rear. You wanna clip it before you stick it...have all the wives you want and then I would say...It IS consensual. If you are procreating...NO, it is NOT.

Enjoy your harem...just keep the kids out it! That is what I am telling you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Show me my words that I said this was evil please, thank you.
You might not have said it was evil, but you sure as hell said it was wrong

Old 05-29-2010, 01:29 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,323,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You might not have said it was evil, but you sure as hell said it was wrong
With the qualifier IMO behind that statement, thank you!

(Maybe you need to go back and read others posts who opposed you as well. You seem to think it was JUST me who thinks you implied laziness.)

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-29-2010 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Let's keep the smilies to a minimum, as they're really not suitable for "Great Debates"

Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 PM

667 posts, read 941,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
...what makes it so wrong?
God and the Bible teaching.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:30 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,086,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
God and the Bible teaching.
actually if you want to get technical, the bible teachings, would make polygamy fine. God even mandated polygamy in certain situations.

In the mosaic laws, if a man dies, his wife was to be passed on to the next oldest brother. she was to become another wife of his, so that he could care for her in the same manner as his.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,289,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
actually if you want to get technical, the bible teachings, would make polygamy fine. God even mandated polygamy in certain situations.

In the mosaic laws, if a man dies, his wife was to be passed on to the next oldest brother. she was to become another wife of his, so that he could care for her in the same manner as his.
Hmmm....I thought that this was only the case if the deceased brother was unmarried.... I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it. Yes, in the Bible, polygamy is definitely tolerated but doesn't seem to be promoted by God.

In the New Testament, in the teachings of Jesus and the apostles, clearly monogamy would appear to be God's "ideal." However, as I say in most of my posts where I invoke biblical standards, I do realize not everyone is a Christian believer as I am. Just sayin'....

But any morality and such issues aside, I question the feasibility of polygamy on a psychological level. I think most people would at some point likely have feelings of jealousy etc. which would likely put a kink in the works so to speak. I think people are just wired this way to desire an exclusive relationship with those with whom they are emotionally intimate. And even in the old testament of the Bible which we discussed earlier, you find evidence of problems such as these with Sarah and Hagar and Hannah and Pinninah later in the Bible, and also with Rachel and Leah.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,111,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

But any morality and such issues aside, I question the feasibility of polygamy on a psychological level. I think most people would at some point likely have feelings of jealousy etc. which would likely put a kink in the works so to speak. I think people are just wired this way to desire an exclusive relationship with those with whom they are emotionally intimate. And even in the old testament of the Bible which we discussed earlier, you find evidence of problems such as these with Sarah and Hagar and Hannah and Pinninah later in the Bible, and also with Rachel and Leah.
It is also true that "most people" would feel lonely and bereft if they were not in a domestic partnership of some kind. But the predicted feelings of most people is not a legitimate basis for having criminal sanctions against those who do not conform with "most people", and would not be a good reason for making marriage itself compulsory.

If Americans are ever going to embrace the idea that people ought to have liberty, we need to stop denying liberty to everyone who does not share one's personal preferences for lifestyle.

-----------------

On another note, Bigamy is never an enforced crime in America unless there is a plaintiff. There is no central registry of marriages in the USA, and a person could get married 50 times, once in each state, and live perfectly free of prosecution, as long as none of the spouses filed complaints.

So a man with multiple wives, even if conspicuous, would never be questioned by the police about it, unless there were another unrelated reason that the police would want to persecute the man (in other words "out to get the guy"--very common). There are many thousands of bigamists in the USA, maybe even millions, who simply never bothered to get a divorce before proceeding on to their next serial wife. One of my best friends, thinking that she was still legally married to her estranged husband, did not know he had remarried until she read his obituary in the newspaper, when it was too late to have him arrested.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-01-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,289,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is also true that "most people" would feel lonely and bereft if they were not in a domestic partnership of some kind. But the predicted feelings of most people is not a legitimate basis for having criminal sanctions against those who do not conform with "most people", and would not be a good reason for making marriage itself compulsory.

If Americans are ever going to embrace the idea that people ought to have liberty, we need to stop denying liberty to everyone who does not share one's personal preferences for lifestyle.
I'm saving the "legality" of it debate for another day. I was primarily focusing on the practicality of it for most people and again, I think there are obvious issues which arise from it. (The OP asked what was so wrong with it.)

Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM

768 posts, read 1,089,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
What's so wrong with polygamy if all the partners are adult and consent to it? Yes it's illegal, but on moral grounds, what makes it so wrong?

There is nothing wrong with it on moral grounds. It is a lifestyle choice and another example of something that is illegal but not immoral. Although you can't have a legally sanctioned marriage, I'd say go for it. If it's a mutual agreement between you and the others involved, it's legal in your eyes. That's all that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates