Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,567,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
What's so wrong with polygamy if all the partners are adult and consent to it? Yes it's illegal, but on moral grounds, what makes it so wrong?
It seems you ask a question in a way you are inferring it is immoral. In other words you are asking a question telling us it is immoral. Am I correct that is how you feel about it?

I do not know why having more than one partner is immoral. So far objections are based on personal moral feelings whether due to religion or upbringing.

Granted there may be other practical reasons that it may not be an advisable life but even then that is up to adults to decide how to live their lives, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 AM

422 posts, read 651,183 times
Because it breeds selfishness, sexism, and perversion. A close family friend grew up in this type of family. Unfortunately her mother was the prettiest and the favorite. Great for mom but NOT for her children. The first wife (NOT THE FAVORITE) was relegated to housework and tending children while her royal cuteness got to go to all of the social events etc. Everyone wondered why my friend wasn't growing like she should. It turns out that wife #1 was poisoning her and her siblings. Moreover, women need communication and if a husband and wife have a disagreement he will NOT make attempts to talk it out. He will simply switch beds and ignore you until you become lonely and desperate enough to overlook whatever he has done. This is the opposite of what marriage should be. Two people learning each other and themselves. this can't happen with a third party. There is also no love without sacrifice. There is no sacrifice as a husband/wife when you have spares around to replace them when you aren't getting your way at the moment. I won't even touch having 2 husbands on deck. And as a gut reaction.....Eeew !!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,567,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
Because it breeds selfishness, sexism, and perversion. A close family friend grew up in this type of family. Unfortunately her mother was the prettiest and the favorite. Great for mom but NOT for her children. The first wife (NOT THE FAVORITE) was relegated to housework and tending children while her royal cuteness got to go to all of the social events etc. Everyone wondered why my friend wasn't growing like she should. It turns out that wife #1 was poisoning her and her siblings. Moreover, women need communication and if a husband and wife have a disagreement he will NOT make attempts to talk it out. He will simply switch beds and ignore you until you become lonely and desperate enough to overlook whatever he has done. This is the opposite of what marriage should be. Two people learning each other and themselves. this can't happen with a third party. There is also no love without sacrifice. There is no sacrifice as a husband/wife when you have spares around to replace them when you aren't getting your way at the moment. I won't even touch having 2 husbands on deck. And as a gut reaction.....Eeew !!
Great if for you. However, there are views in life as there are people and some people may be able to live a fulfilling and happy life living that way. I am with you. It is not for me but that does not mean others cannot live such life. Actually, a lot of the problems on these types of families are the stigma others put on them and also do make their lives difficult due to moral and societal biases, take care.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:45 PM

422 posts, read 651,183 times
Unfortunately it often LOOKS happy and fulfilling from the outside. Cute children, a spotless home with cooked meals and plenty of income, and wonderful photographs all over the place. That is an outward appearance though. In ANY relationship involving more than one partner someone comes in last. Its the same theory as a husband with a mistress. Some mistresses come first and some wives come first. It's human nature that someone is the favorite and/or the wives are left constantly fighting for attention and acceptance. I think it is happy and fulfilling for men because they receive the benefits of marriage without many of the sacrifices and humility that needs to go with it. It's an imbalance.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM

15 posts, read 35,186 times
If someone wants to have multiple wives and everyone's okay with it I don't have a problem with it. They're not bothering me so I'm not going to bother them. We shouldn't be shoving our morals down everyone's throats because people are going to have multiple wives whether we like it or not, so just learn to accept it.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,553,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
What's so wrong with polygamy if all the partners are adult and consent to it? Yes it's illegal, but on moral grounds, what makes it so wrong?
Moderator cut: Rude

Most of the women involved in polygamy marriages are very likely cheat and because of this, it increases the risk of HIV/AIDS and other STD infections. It is also a form of abuse of women. That's what makes it so wrong.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 PM

139 posts, read 441,921 times
Why is it only the men who can enter into polygamous relationships. Seems to me as if polygamy is simply a front for men to engage in relationships with many women and in some cases with underage girls who have no say in the matter.

Even in Biblical times polygamy created a lot of problems. There is always a "favorite" wife and rivalry between the wives and their offspring for the inheritance.

And like I said it smacks of sexism. Why do you never see older women with a harem of beautiful young "husbands"?"

Old 07-09-2010, 04:39 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,039,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
It seems you ask a question in a way you are inferring it is immoral. In other words you are asking a question telling us it is immoral. Am I correct that is how you feel about it?

I do not know why having more than one partner is immoral. So far objections are based on personal moral feelings whether due to religion or upbringing.

Granted there may be other practical reasons that it may not be an advisable life but even then that is up to adults to decide how to live their lives, take care.
There are things that America views as immoral but in at least some parts of the world they are viewed as acceptable. Polygamy is one example. I must not think of it as immoral because I find it rather interesting that it is illegal. It's being illegal might be a situation where church and state were not being completely separate. But that's just a guess.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,356,716 times
Most men have a hard time affording and properly pleasing one wife....not sure what they would actually accomplish with more.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,790,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Goodness gracious. I have no idea why you had to bring the Bible into this. We were having an argument based on polygamy not personal beliefs. But since you did, I have to clear up a few things.

The thing about having so many wives, notice how they all come from the Old testament. It was allowed under the Old Covenant (Old Testament) because this was a time period when people were still pro-creating. Once Jesus came and people were under the New Covenant (New Testament) it was no longer allowed because the earth had multiplied enough by then.

Otherwise the bible wouldn't have said:

Matthew 19:6 "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."

Corinthians 7:2-3 says: "But because of immoralities, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. Let the husband fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband."

A marriage is recognized by God when a man and woman resolve with mutual love and respect in their hearts to live together as husband and wife, and conform to whatever civil ceremonies are required (Rom. 13:1). There is no middle road between marriage and adultery. Two people who are living together are either married or they are committing adultery.

Not everyone believes in the New Testament...or the Bible at all for that matter.

I don't feel like there is anything wrong with polygamy. Let people and their business alone. You have your own life to worry about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Most men have a hard time affording and properly pleasing one wife....not sure what they would actually accomplish with more.
Then they have some inferior wives! Why should a husband need to please a wife any more than she should please him. Prima Donnas should just stay single...end of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates