Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM

326 posts, read 840,427 times

Advertisements

OMG!! Women in polygamy relationships look so sad, depressed, confused and uneducated..

No offense men but there is no way one man can sexually satisfy that many women (unless they just lay there like blobs that don't know anything about their sexuality).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 PM

326 posts, read 840,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Speak for yourself.
I will... I will... I know that some women seriously lack in the "I want sex" department.

But before I get modded about staying on the subject.... I truely feel sorry for most of the women I have seen and met in these relationships. They do not look satisfyed and they definintly do not look happy!

I wish I could ask them WHY they share just one man between them because I do not get it!

Maybe if there was a big group and they just had orgies or traded off every other night. That I could understand lol

Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 PM

396 posts, read 733,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
OMG!! Women in polygamy relationships look so sad, depressed, confused and uneducated..

No offense men but there is no way one man can sexually satisfy that many women (unless they just lay there like blobs that don't know anything about their sexuality).
That is potentially true when you're talking about "religious polygamy," and generally, those are the only ones you're ever going to see or be able to identify/recognize for what they are.

It's decidedly NOT true for most of the people I know involved in polyamorous relationships, even among those who practice polygamy or polyandry as opposed to a more expanded polyamorous dynamic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I couldn't give a rip about it from a morality point of view. I'm opposed to it cause for the most part, the average guy couldn't afford all of the children and wives and they'd end up on welfare.
I don't wholly disagree with this. I'd say most of the people I know who practice some form of polyamory are responsible, fiscally stable individuals who aren't using women for breeding, etc.

But that isn't the same thing as saying, "no one does that," because of course... they do.

I'd love to close my eyes and pretend that everyone involved in poly is responsible, wouldn't dream of taking a handout or taking advantage of the system, etc. And if I based my perceptions and views only on the people I hang with, then yeah, I'd feel confident that wouldn't happen. But like attracts like... I hang with people who are as responsible about their lives as I am about mine.

The laws, however, would not only provide "approval" or "protection" for people like us... it would for others as well... the Warren Jeff and David Koresh types (minus the child abuse, obviously). Even WITHOUT the child abuse, there were some serious power imbalances in those relationships, and a serious lack of free will.

I'm not ok with supporting legislation that lends legitimacy to those types of relationships just to obtain similar legal legitimacy for mine.

I'd rather things stay as they are.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,347,209 times
I don't agree with it at all. I think its wrong on so many levels. I also wonder why its the men who get to have 5 wives but you never see a woman with 5 husbands.
I'm sure most men would love it though.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,659,930 times
Good question and I am not sure I can give a good answer. I will say that from what I have seen polygamy is bad. From cases I have seen on the news, usually an abusive domineering male just wants submissive women who will act as his harem. That may not always be the case but it seems to be what is presented.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:19 PM

9 posts, read 37,137 times
I've always been in favor of gay marriage and now I realize that I must agree to polygamy as well. If all of the adults on consenting, not forced in any way, to participate then I don't know that I see a problem. Just because it isn't something that I am intrested in for myself doesn't mean that those who are shouldn't be allowed to practice it. I am so tired of people shoving the bible and whatever it has to say on the subject down other people's throat. What you believe is fine, but you can't force that on other people who aren't doing anything to hurt anyone.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,443,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't agree with it at all. I think its wrong on so many levels. I also wonder why its the men who get to have 5 wives but you never see a woman with 5 husbands.
I'm sure most men would love it though.
There are marriages between one woman, and two or more men. Mostly in Africa, but it does occur in the states as well, just not often.

Generally Polygamy is for procreation, at least at its base purpose. This means its simply logical to have one husband, and multiple wives. This is because men can have children year around, while the women are only capable of having one child a year.

So if your main reason is to have children, why have one child, once a year, when you can have 3 or 4 per year.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 AM

24,865 posts, read 24,443,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Good question and I am not sure I can give a good answer. I will say that from what I have seen polygamy is bad. From cases I have seen on the news, usually an abusive domineering male just wants submissive women who will act as his harem. That may not always be the case but it seems to be what is presented.
Polygamy is seen as "bad" because the public face is that of the FLDS church. This is a false face though. There are many polygamist families who are living happily "legally unmarried" and you'd never know it.

I'm not going to repost links, as I put them much earlier in this particular thread. I urge you to look through the entire thread, with an open mind, before being so judgmental.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM

121 posts, read 348,635 times
There is actually quite a bit of good and bad about polygamy. I think the biggest problem is tendency to abuse it. It's too easy for older, more experienced men to manipulate (by whatever means) younger women. Then they become trapped. Not that this isn't done outside polygamy, it just makes it easier to keep them trapped.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-16-2010 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 09-14-2010, 01:15 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,039,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMormon View Post
There is actually quite a bit of good and bad about polygamy. I think the biggest problem is tendency to abuse it. It's too easy for older, more experienced men to manipulate (by whatever means) younger women. Then they become trapped. Not that this isn't done outside polygamy, it just makes it easier to keep them trapped.
Well, first, it's not easy for older men to manipulate younger women. Believe me, I've been trying to manipulate them for years with minimal luck. And just to be clear, older women are even tougher to manipulate.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-16-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic quoted comment, and your response to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates