Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:33 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,401 times

Advertisements

OMG is this thread still alive? UGH! No doubt due to the Oprah show? It is just WRONG! What you want to do in your personal life is "your" thing, but I will always say if children are involved it is wrong.

As for why the government has a right to involvement in NOT legalizing polygamy...I think that is pretty simple. Living together is one thing. Being legally married to more than one person is a horse of a different color...the legal complications with such things as how things like taxes, social security benefits, and other things like dependent benefits are all REAL and tangible concerns as to how they would be impacted by legally being married to more than one person. That is where government has every right to say...NO! One person legally, but no more.

Just to live with more fine...go ahead, but not legally married. //As for my opinion...well, you already know my opinion on the matter even if we agree to never agree, I say where there are children involved, it is wrong! No children, no legal marriage...then do your thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM

357 posts, read 727,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
What's so wrong with polygamy"

The difficulty in finding 6 or 7 really good women and getting all of them to agree to marry me.

Those odds are similar to winning the lotto.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:18 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why, other than your opinion, is it disgusting?

It was practiced for 10's of thousands of years, and is still practiced today.
In historical times it was practiced as a means to increase and insure the populations growth. Thats the last thing we need on this planet at this "time".

Men have fantasies of grandiose performance in and out of the bedroom. I'm sure the women of such arrangements are just glad to get a few extra nights off. every so often.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
In historical times it was practiced as a means to increase and insure the populations growth. Thats the last thing we need on this planet at this "time".

Men have fantasies of grandiose performance in and out of the bedroom. I'm sure the women of such arrangements are just glad to get a few extra nights off. every so often.
So you do understand that it was practiced, and as such, not unusual.

It was practiced, in part for more children, yes. It was also practiced in part because men with means could afford more women. They were technically better off for survival, which is all part of natural evolution.

Its not about fantasies of sexual prowess.

But whatever the reason, there is nothing wrong with it. As you have now admitted, it was, and is still normal. The only reason its abnormal to some, is because they have grown up with the two spouse, 2.5 kid family for everyone.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times
As long as everyone is of majority and there is no coercion, I find it difficult to judge as "wrong." Obvious sexual advantages to the males, and domestic help advantages to the females . . . Live and let live as long as there is no abuse and no power differentials being exercised (i.e., old men taking advantage of young girls) . . .

Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 AM

726 posts, read 1,229,863 times
Quote:
So you do understand that it was practiced, and as such, not unusual.

It was practiced, in part for more children, yes. It was also practiced in part because men with means could afford more women. They were technically better off for survival, which is all part of natural evolution.

Its not about fantasies of sexual prowess.

But whatever the reason, there is nothing wrong with it. As you have now admitted, it was, and is still normal. The only reason its abnormal to some, is because they have grown up with the two spouse, 2.5 kid family for everyone.
You are trying to put words in my post that aren;t there. I don't think its normal or right. I feel sorry for any women who would allow themselves to be placed in such an arrangement.
To me it shows a shallowness in the personality of such a guy. Can't form a meaningful relationship with one partner.
Each to his own, just leave me out.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:21 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
So lets play the game ,
multiple marriage, and the guy is comming to the end of his life and quite wealthy, and like any situation there are favourites played, don't delude your self in thinking any kind of equality. Who gets the lions share of the wealth, this is going to cause a bone of contention like no other.
There is a movie called "Greedy" though it has nothing to do with multiple marriage it does have totdo with the competition for a man's wealth. Every one believes they have a right to the holdings of the centeral figure, and just like winning the lottery you al of a sudden have a bunch of new friends and people sucking up to you , whom would have never given you a second look if you were poor and laying in the gutter. Human nature is not going to give up the compitition for attention preference approval.
Sex is a poor reason to do this as well for much the same reasons .
And talk about parenting, and the manipulating games kids play against two parents ,is now expotentially magnified .
Having moral boundries demonstrates a value for life and the lives of others , removing moral boundries reduces the value of life making man more animal like , expendable.
I had long considdered the idea of more than one wife and every oppurtunity I had to investagate the issue brought me back to these facts.
Fantasy, may be your compass, but you will for ever be lost.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
You are trying to put words in my post that aren;t there. I don't think its normal or right. I feel sorry for any women who would allow themselves to be placed in such an arrangement.
To me it shows a shallowness in the personality of such a guy. Can't form a meaningful relationship with one partner.
Each to his own, just leave me out.
But you said in historical times it was practiced. Which makes it usual, not the opposite.

And I'm not saying its for everyone. Some people prefer it I'm sure. All I'm saying is whats good for one group of people shouldn't be judged so harshly as it is now by others. If you don't like it, fine, don't practice it. But to make it illegal, or demonize those who practice it, thats a different matter all together.

If grown adults want to enter that arrangement, then let them.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,617 times
Quote:
But you said in historical times it was practiced. Which makes it usual, not the opposite.

And I'm not saying its for everyone. Some people prefer it I'm sure. All I'm saying is whats good for one group of people shouldn't be judged so harshly as it is now by others. If you don't like it, fine, don't practice it. But to make it illegal, or demonize those who practice it, thats a different matter all together.

If grown adults want to enter that arrangement, then let them.
Actually, in historical times, it was practiced and was socially acceptable and usual. However, it's primarily practiced in other countries and usually polygamy. Women didn't have a choice on whether they want to share their husband or not

And I think the reason why it's illegal here in America is due to the stigma surrounding it from the cults that practices it along with the mistreatment of women and children. Though, I could be wrong...

I wouldn't care if someone entered a polygamy/andry relationship....but I would feel a bit sorry for them (seeing that I don't like to share)

Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,785 times
In my state, the children and the wife get equal shares of inheritance. The problem then, of course, is once the man dies the extra wives are left with no inheritance unless there is a will, and if the will is contested "first wife" will be the only one getting the share. Children, legitimate or not, share equally with the wife.

The main problem with polygamist marriages is one I've hardly seen mentioned here: having more than one woman per man inevitably leads to certain men having many women and many (usually YOUNG) men with no chance at all of finding a wife. Historically this makes cultures more and more ruthless and violent, as there are large populations of young men simply left to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates