Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,644 times

Advertisements

Marriage should be between people and their "God" not people and their government. The more you allow the government to control your civil liberties the less liberties you will recieve.

What's so wrong with it.....it's stupid. I know I sound immature, but in my opinion marriage should be easy and not financially motivated. I married to have a emotional, spiritual and sexual relationship with my husband that's the way I like it. BUT, I have no right to push my beliefs on others. Being in a polygamist marriage doesn't make you a child molester.
Personally and My opinion is that polygamy is not for me. I have too much pride to give my self away to someone and then share with someone else...I don't think so.
I am also not a homosexual, but does that mean that two (or more) consenting adults of the same sex could not form a relationship and be happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
What's so wrong with polygamy if all the partners are adult and consent to it? Yes it's illegal, but on moral grounds, what makes it so wrong?
Hey bulls and roosters do it why not humans.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Marriage should be between people and their "God" not people and their government. The more you allow the government to control your civil liberties the less liberties you will recieve.

What's so wrong with it.....it's stupid. I know I sound immature, but in my opinion marriage should be easy and not financially motivated. I married to have a emotional, spiritual and sexual relationship with my husband that's the way I like it. BUT, I have no right to push my beliefs on others. Being in a polygamist marriage doesn't make you a child molester.
Personally and My opinion is that polygamy is not for me. I have too much pride to give my self away to someone and then share with someone else...I don't think so.
I am also not a homosexual, but does that mean that two (or more) consenting adults of the same sex could not form a relationship and be happy?
There is also no government better than a benevolent dictatorship, but the drawbacks are not worth having such a government.

Some of the most repressive governments are/were religion based.

Situations found to be repressive by some are not thought to be so by all.

The BEST situation is the one which enables the MOST number of people to follow their own bliss without stepping on others - which should be the underpinning of our democratic law.

If the children of ANY sort of marriage, be it homosexual or multiple, are taught that there other forms and encouraged to learn about this and are allowed to make there own choices when they are 18yrs. or more, I am happy with that arrangement. If a community keeps solely to themselves and does not allow their kids to get an equal and decent education nor to associate with families and children outside of their little group, I have a BIG problem with the arrangement.

Adults can do what they wish, but kids should not be brainwashed into a way of life before they know there are other ways and that they have legal choices. That, to me, is destroying a life.

Most children reared the way I mentioned would prefer to marry someone their own age and probably opt for, at least in the beginning, a singular marriage. That is not what happens in most of these screwed up communities.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:02 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There is also no government better than a benevolent dictatorship, but the drawbacks are not worth having such a government.

Some of the most repressive governments are/were religion based.

Situations found to be repressive by some are not thought to be so by all.

The BEST situation is the one which enables the MOST number of people to follow their own bliss without stepping on others - which should be the underpinning of our democratic law.

If the children of ANY sort of marriage, be it homosexual or multiple, are taught that there other forms and encouraged to learn about this and are allowed to make there own choices when they are 18yrs. or more, I am happy with that arrangement. If a community keeps solely to themselves and does not allow their kids to get an equal and decent education nor to associate with families and children outside of their little group, I have a BIG problem with the arrangement.

Adults can do what they wish, but kids should not be brainwashed into a way of life before they know there are other ways and that they have legal choices. That, to me, is destroying a life.

Most children reared the way I mentioned would prefer to marry someone their own age and probably opt for, at least in the beginning, a singular marriage. That is not what happens in most of these screwed up communities.

Does that mean because I live in a society that is mainly Christian I should raise my children Christian, because MOST of people in my community are Christians? I have no religion so, as long as I don't bring it up or try to push my beliefs on anyone else I can do as I please. Well, Thanks so much!
IMO Christianity is repressive does that mean as long as I get enough people to believe as I do we can tell them to stop praying to Jesus, and let their women where pants (i'm generalizing on people in my particular area. I know not all Christian women wear long skirts), and make them stop brainwashing their children to believe in the Bible?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Does that mean because I live in a society that is mainly Christian I should raise my children Christian, because MOST of people in my community are Christians? I have no religion so, as long as I don't bring it up or try to push my beliefs on anyone else I can do as I please. Well, Thanks so much!
IMO Christianity is repressive does that mean as long as I get enough people to believe as I do we can tell them to stop praying to Jesus, and let their women where pants (i'm generalizing on people in my particular area. I know not all Christian women wear long skirts), and make them stop brainwashing their children to believe in the Bible?
It means parents have no right to handicap their children so they are not able to survive and thrive in the outer world.

Think of intelligence tests. They don't actually measure intelligence, but survival ability in a given culture.

This is why it is mandatory that children are educated, else, there are some farmers in the backwoods who would just have them to be tax exemptions and stupid slave workers.

Abuse should never be tolerated, and is most heinous when the young are abused by their own families. Adults who are raised freely in a society are able to make choices of what they think is best for them, and if they want to join a cult or live in plural marriage or a commune, who cares? Kids don't have the perspective to make such decisions and it is a crime when parents deliberately pervert the small mind one way or the other.

Believing in Jesus or Ganesha or no God at all does not hinder your functioning in the world, at least for most people. Brainwashing your little girl into being a baby making slave who is captive because she's not been allowed the education and training to exist in the outside world, and taking her money away from her and and blocking any thoughts that she may have that she is entitled to one partner who adores her and only her is just reprehensible.

There are fictitious dramas on tv that have a way different depiction of plural marriage than is written of in books by women who have escaped such situations.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 PM

410 posts, read 515,471 times
I don't see anything wrong with polygamy as long as women have equal rights as well.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,380,609 times
I see nothing wrong with consenting ADULTS practicing whatver type of relationship they want...it is when old men, prey on young women, and call it RELIGION, that I have a major problem with it. If a woman wants this lifestyle, go ahead.

But, I do have an issue with people who breed children, irresponsibily, and cannot afford to feed, clothe, and take care of their children's needs, and expect society to support their choice to over breed. It seems that many polygamous families are collecting public assistance, and that is a problem to me. If you can't support 30 kids, don't have 30 kids. And, who can support that many kdis????

I suppose the the premise of polygamy is more like a collective, where people work together, to accomplish an objective.

I don't like the other things that seem to go with polygamy to me, and that is that women are subservient to the husband. That is a premise of the Latter Day Saint Church, honor the priesthood. I sort of failed that whole "obey" thang in marriage...

Old 10-29-2010, 05:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Brainwashing your little girl into being a baby making slave who is captive because she's not been allowed the education and training to exist in the outside world, and taking her money away from her and and blocking any thoughts that she may have that she is entitled to one partner who adores her and only her is just reprehensible.

Here is the common misconception.

How is polygamy forcing a little girl to be a baby making slave?

I'll say this again, just because the government and others chose to make the face of polygamy the insane cultists FLDS does not mean that this is the real face of polygamy.

Sure, thats part of it. But no one who is sane, or that I have seen in this thread that supports polygamy wants that kind of polygamy legal. No one wants 15 year old girls married to 80 year old men, and having children with them. No one with a rational brain wants women to have to wear pioneer clothes, have no education, and do nothing but pop out kids.

That is not the polygamy I support legalized, and it is not what I've read others support.

But if three or four grown adults decide to live together in a marriage, and they do so willingly, and of sound mind, I don't think anyone should stop them. That means if its two men and two women, one man and three women, or one woman and three men. If they want that, I say let them do as they will.

And children are fine. Just because gay parents raise a child, does not mean they'll be gay now does it? So how would raising children in a polygamous relationship aren't going to raise polygamous children.

You do know that children raised in "alternative households" show more artistic talent as adults. That could mean, living on a boat, in a tree house, a horse farm, or in a polygamous family.

But keep beating the "polygamy means 15 year old girls with no education being baby factory" drum. Anyone with half a brain understands that this is a false argument.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:27 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,943 times
You are equating a matter of birth (sexuality) with belief. Bzzt, wrong. Hetereosexual children raised by gay couples don't grow up gay because they were not born gay. Polygamists (or Christians, or Gypsies, or Druids) are raised with a belief, they're not "born that way."

Old 10-29-2010, 06:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
You are equating a matter of birth (sexuality) with belief. Bzzt, wrong. Hetereosexual children raised by gay couples don't grow up gay because they were not born gay. Polygamists (or Christians, or Gypsies, or Druids) are raised with a belief, they're not "born that way."
Actually there is no "born gay" proof as of yet. Its believed by many scientists that gay is both a gene and rearing cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates