Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,113,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What you're forgetting, biologically, is our long gestation period in the womb.

For 9 months out a year, if a woman had multiple husbands, they wouldn't be producing anymore children.

However, if a man has multiple wives, he can impregnate, one, after another, after another, thus increasing the breeding group, not limiting to one child per year. You could have 3 or 4 children per year technically, more.

Bingo, give that man a cigar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,038,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Anyway, this "live and let live" thing sounds great on the surface IMO but quickly becomes a slippery and unworkable slope.
Not as bad a slippery slope as banning things "just because I wouldn't do it."

Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,700,324 times
Quote:
The man, and both women could be the same age, or right around the same age.
Why are you presuming it would be one man and two women?
Quote:
Children can help support a family financially. Growing crops, tending livestock, all of that has financial benefits. Hell, from the time I was 5, I was mowing the yard, cleaning the house, and helping my dad and grandfather at work.

He is working, he owns his own business. I'm not getting to in depth with their situation, as this is still the bible belt, and he is scrutinized enough for being Muslim.

However, he does quite well for himself, he has two wives, and 5 children, as for now.
Sounds more like the old communes of the 60's and 70's, not a marriage and family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When it comes to sexual fantasies, men have got themselves covered. Having a harem of women there for the taking is nothing short of heaven for men. And the beauty of sex fantasies is that they can remain just that; there’s no need to actually realize them because the thought alone is enough to satisfy a man. Unless, of course, there are women out there who are willing to go all the way in order to satisfy their man.
Men often have fantasies of harems of women, some religions actually do this. It's not logical. Men can only have sex 2 or 3 times a day as a general rule. Women can have sex 24 hours a day non-stop. Isn’t that nature saying women should have multiple partners ? If a man has a harem, his women go unsatisfied until he gets around to them, which could be days or weeks. A woman could satisfy an entire harem in one day. I think women should have harems and not men unless they can satisfy all of their partners in one day.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,481,410 times
No, we don't need polygamy. Polygamy was good back then when there weren't so many humans on the planet, and most people never made it over the age of 40.

To me, polygamy is only touted by those who want constant sex sex sex. To say it is for financial reasons is incorrect since it would be more financially efficient for, say, 3 men pooling their resources together to support one woman and her children than one man supporting three women and their kids.

Bring along polygamy/polyandry when there aren't 6 billion+ souls already on this world with limited natural resources.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:41 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,700,324 times
Quote:

For 9 months out a year, if a woman had multiple husbands, they wouldn't be producing anymore children.

However, if a man has multiple wives, he can impregnate, one, after another, after another, thus increasing the breeding group, not limiting to one child per year. You could have 3 or 4 children per year technically, more.
You think the goal of a polygamist marriage is to have as many babies as possible? Doesn't that fall into the category of David Karesh, et al?

There can be as many people married as possible and they don't have to include children.

I think people, by nature, are monogamous. Swans mate for life as do some other animals. IMO, people are more monogamous than anything else, but in the inflated ego of the man, some think they should sow their seed farther than most. Most men and women are happy with the right fit with one person.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,481,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
You think the goal of a polygamist marriage is to have as many babies as possible? Doesn't that fall into the category of David Karesh, et al?

There can be as many people married as possible and they don't have to include children.

I think people, by nature, are monogamous. Swans mate for life as do some other animals. IMO, people are more monogamous than anything else, but in the inflated ego of the man, some think they should sow their seed farther than most. Most men and women are happy with the right fit with one person.
^5

I think such reasoning is sick. A marriage should first and foremost be about loving each other, not making women baby factories!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM

61,926 posts, read 87,533,958 times
Well, I am not THAT far off when I say that men talking about polygamy have only one thing in mind: sex and procreation... and to hell with the consequences. Let the offspring to work on the farms, be servants, go on welfare, be uneducated, poor and hopeless.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Now tell me why someone would want to multiply like a rabbits ???

Old 05-27-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post

To me, polygamy is only touted by those who want constant sex sex sex.
Quote:
Quote:
^5

I think such reasoning is sick. A marriage should first and foremost be about loving each other, not making women baby factories!
Actually this psycho-sexual disorder is called Hyperactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) or satyriasis.
But there is a hope - it could be cured (snip-snip) lol

Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,431,866 times
Quote:

I think people, by nature, are monogamous.
David Karesh's goal was religious in nature, and, if it didn't involve under age girls, was perfectly legal, your point?

And what you think, is wrong. We were never biologically designed to be monogamous. A study of other great apes, will show you that the larger the expected male breeding pool with one lady, the large the size of the males testicles. Meaning, that if you think you're lady is fooling around, the more sperm you produce.

We have a medium size, Gorillas (who do mate for life, and one male does most of the mating) have the smallest, and Chimps, whose females will have multiple partners constantly, have huge testicles for their size.

Quote:
^5

Here we go with this "I think" thing again. This is a debate, not a popularity contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Now tell me why someone would want to multiply like a rabbits ???
It doesn't matter why, it matters if its legal. It is. I don't know why someone would want to get tattoos all over them, or to homeschool their kids, or to live in Minot North Dakota, but all of those things are legal, and I wouldn't want to stop someone from doing it.

Large families are normal, it happens today in America. Whats you're problem with that.

It boils down to this. You may not like polygamy for you, thats fine. However, why would you want to stop someone else from doing it.

Please post all answers in debate form, not "I think". Give examples of why this is bad. As others, and the OP have said, please don't bring up Mormon polygamy, as you see on TV with 12 and 13 year old girls, no one supports that. We are talking about grown adults making up their own minds, and doing what they want.

Otherwise, your just speaking opinion, which isn't debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates