Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:48 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Again I say......

"So here is the point......
This is what's possible by not using fossil fueled machines in a world where fossil fuels are scarce or gone. We all know that there will be a time between when the goods produced with fossil fuels are consumed and when they can't be replaced."
While you seem stuck on your "point", Tightwad ...

the story line and it's presentation that you referred to about a fellow and his bicycle and trailer rig don't carry that message.

As for "goods produced with fossil fuels" not being replaced ... that certainly isn't applicable to the goods that the story line was about. There's lots of alternative ways to produce crushed rock or cut rock (flagstones, for example) that don't require fossil fuel. Nor does one need fossil fuel to craft a bicycle, or metals, or rubber goods ... when other energy sources are available. Hand labor, of course, would work, but there's electricity from numerous sources besides fossil fuel ....

We don't "all know that there will be a time when ...." a very false premise you present.

Even lubricants have been synthesied, so that aspect of petroleum concern is alleviated. And many industrial age synthetic materials of petroleum origins have now been crafted out of other source materials, or replaced with newer technologies. As one closely connected to the epoxy and polyurethane industry for over 40 years ... I've watched the industry go from petroleum solvent based technology to water based solvent technology, with some superior performing products now in common use without any VOC's.

I seem to recall that the pyramids were built of well crafted stone that didn't require fossil fuels .... but certainly used a lot of hand slave labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
While you seem stuck on your "point", Tightwad ...

the story line and it's presentation that you referred to about a fellow and his bicycle and trailer rig don't carry that message.

As for "goods produced with fossil fuels" not being replaced ... that certainly isn't applicable to the goods that the story line was about. There's lots of alternative ways to produce crushed rock or cut rock (flagstones, for example) that don't require fossil fuel. Nor does one need fossil fuel to craft a bicycle, or metals, or rubber goods ... when other energy sources are available. Hand labor, of course, would work, but there's electricity from numerous sources besides fossil fuel ....

We don't "all know that there will be a time when ...." a very false premise you present.

Even lubricants have been synthesied, so that aspect of petroleum concern is alleviated. And many industrial age synthetic materials of petroleum origins have now been crafted out of other source materials, or replaced with newer technologies. As one closely connected to the epoxy and polyurethane industry for over 40 years ... I've watched the industry go from petroleum solvent based technology to water based solvent technology, with some superior performing products now in common use without any VOC's.

I seem to recall that the pyramids were built of well crafted stone that didn't require fossil fuels .... but certainly used a lot of hand slave labor.
Again I say......

This is what's possible by not using fossil fueled machines in a world where fossil fuels are scarce or gone. We all know that there will be a time between when the goods produced with fossil fuels are consumed and when they can't be replaced."

Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Again I say......

Sorry I missed the point the first time i posted. What I should have said is: "what is your point?" That sentence you have repeated a few times can't possibly be your point. No one has gotten it yet but you. Maybe another approach would make more sense.

BTW, the Kreps character is a tool. All his effort demonstrates to me is that he has a strong back for a guy his age, and he doesn't care how much time he wastes on a task.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Sorry I missed the point the first time i posted. What I should have said is: "what is your point?" That sentence you have repeated a few times can't possibly be your point. No one has gotten it yet but you. Maybe another approach would make more sense.

BTW, the Kreps character is a tool. All his effort demonstrates to me is that he has a strong back for a guy his age, and he doesn't care how much time he wastes on a task.
In order to 'get' my point one must shift their paradigms to a time when modern methods can't be used.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM

13,617 posts, read 10,022,774 times
Quote:
All you need is a bicycle with gears, a good trailer and some time.

How To Build A Sidewalk - By Bike : TreeHugger

If it fit's on the trailer you can move it!
It all looks a bit like theft by finding to me. Plus, I am not sure how long that beach will last if others are led by his example.

I know it is all about the peak oil problem, that after which, we will all need to find other ways to fuel our lifestyles, and transportation is only the start of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living