Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Resomation Procedure Have Your Support?
Yes (Dead people can "give back") 3 50.00%
No (This is sorta like Soylent Green) 2 33.33%
I'm Not sure 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,650,683 times

Advertisements

A friend and I were talking about this early today and I read up a little on this. I really don't think that many Americans would be down with this idea, it's a little to Soylent Green like for me. I'm not even advocating this stuff but I do want to know what people think about this procedure, is this going too far with being green or not? Would you as an individual want this to become standard in your state (48 states have already rejected this to my understanding).

Green (gross) cremation method produces liquid fertilizer.

Resomation Home

(pollers would be anonymous)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,955,670 times
It's certainly better than being pumped full of toxic chemicals and encapsulated in a box (also treated with toxic chemicals) to "preserve" a shell that is no longer useful.

Dead things are part of the nutrient cycle. I think that resomation (even cremation) is a viable option for people who don't want to deal with composting or untreated burial of the remains.

I don't really see the difference between growing your food in "corpse juice" or growing it in "poo juice". How many gardeners use blood meal, bone meal and fish emulsions? Or is the hang-up just that it's human... lots of folks don't want to use humanure either.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,129 times
I'm all about the circle of life and conservation. I'm not a tree hugging extremest or anything but I think a lot of what we do now, most based on religion or tradition, really needs to be rethunk.

A perfect example is classic burial. pump a body full of poison, stick it in a sealed box and waste real estate storing it... makes much more sense to return it to the earth in a usable form.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Yes, I think it is going too far for humans. If they want to cremate animals in that manner, fine. Quite frankly there is some real possibility for use of something like that at the large coporate animal producers/packers.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,984,532 times
I can see where so-called modern man would have a ick problem, and the idea is news to me, but i don't have any problem with it other than I am not so sure foods enhanced with the product should be used to grow foods with in the first 5 years.

I feel that way about milorganite too, a sweet waste bi-product from Milwalky LOL.

I sure don't need a box buried 6 feet under. I might guess a snipett of hair or something will do for my wife when my time comes or hers if she goes before me.

We each know it is or has been til now creamation is our choice. And I want no marker.

Creamation isn't exactly my top choice, but what is, is currently illegal, and that would be a staging like seen in Jerhimah Johnson, and or to be toasted in my canoe Viking style, but that isn't going to happen in mans world of today.

Being made into 200 lbs of a liquid is such a deal. Because i get to live on in plants. Then maybe into animals, and again maybe into humans. That circle works for me.

But I can see it now about you moderns all to icky...

Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM

My first choice would be to wrap me, untreated, in a cotton sheet and bury me with a fruit tree on top... but no fruit trees grow up here, and I'd like to stay on my land if possible. So the next choice would be composting, which I think is still legal up here. But if it isn't, then reducing me to fertilizer through this sort of process is fine by me.

Seems a shame to spend an entire life consuming nutrients and then not giving them back when I'm done with them. And we wonder why foods aren't as nutritious now as they once were... because a whole bunch of nutrients are locked up and polluted in cemetaries around the world!

I don't find it Soylent Green at all. It's not like they're feeding people to people in a cannibalistic way, it's just fertilizer to grow completely new food.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I can see where so-called modern man would have a ick problem, and the idea is news to me, but i don't have any problem with it other than I am not so sure foods enhanced with the product should be used to grow foods with in the first 5 years.

I feel that way about milorganite too, a sweet waste bi-product from Milwalky LOL.

I sure don't need a box buried 6 feet under. I might guess a snipett of hair or something will do for my wife when my time comes or hers if she goes before me.

We each know it is or has been til now creamation is our choice. And I want no marker.

Creamation isn't exactly my top choice, but what is, is currently illegal, and that would be a staging like seen in Jerhimah Johnson, and or to be toasted in my canoe Viking style, but that isn't going to happen in mans world of today.

Being made into 200 lbs of a liquid is such a deal. Because i get to live on in plants. Then maybe into animals, and again maybe into humans. That circle works for me.

But I can see it now about you moderns all to icky...
I have no problem with allowing the body to naturally decompose in an untreated pine box. This is a step too far, IMO. However, I suspect my religious views play a part in that.

Basically this is just a company trying to capitalize off of what people have done since time began and cremation was invented: scattering the ashes of loves ones. Somehow doing this mixing lots of bodies together (ashes) just is a huge "ick" factor for me. Kind of like the disrespect of ashes in concentration camp and that kind of mass incineration.

To each his/her own. Just don't legislate it into the only way.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agreed, people and families should have a choice as what they want done with the remains. I hope that this technique becomes/remains legal. That composting becomes/remains legal. That cremation remains legal. That hygenic untreated burial becomes/remains legal.

But I sincerely hope that treated burial becomes illegal. Respecting the dead and trying to prevent corpse-related diseases does not excuse locking up the nutrient cycle and contaminating the flesh with toxins. Especially not when we now understand how to manage the disease factor with other, healthier means. Embalming was a good idea t the time of it's inception, but not anymore.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,984,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I have no problem with allowing the body to naturally decompose in an untreated pine box. This is a step too far, IMO. However, I suspect my religious views play a part in that.

Basically this is just a company trying to capitalize off of what people have done since time began and cremation was invented: scattering the ashes of loves ones. Somehow doing this mixing lots of bodies together (ashes) just is a huge "ick" factor for me. Kind of like the disrespect of ashes in concentration camp and that kind of mass incineration.

It's ick factor for you. understandable, but that's what it is perhaps tied with emotion. Not much grows 6 feet down, so that box and the offal are no more than a waste, and perhaps toxic at that.

The bacteria that break things down are with in the top 6 inches of soil. Not even most types of trees pass 3 feet deep, just look at any blown down tree, with the root ball. Most of them don't go 2 feet deep.

ashes don't give back much, anything of any real good is gone. I am not sayijg everthing is gone as I use wood ashes for things and in history they have been used for things, but over all most everything is gone.

Most of 'US' is water anyway.

Last year on my bike i hit a jeep that hit a moose, and I was pretty upset about that whole thing. I saw the moose as wasted, and had the weather been any different I might have harvested what i could, but that night it was 98 degrees F, and by morning that was a moose balloon even after being shot 3 times by the state police with a shotgun and 2 more times with what ever they carry as a hand gun.

I have no idea what they used in the shot gun and I wasn't asking. I was mad they couldn't end that moose better than that too.

Then that moose could not be left in the headwaters, but there was no Govt help forth coming. NONE. The moose was retireved and taken up a back dirt 4x4 trail and dumped. I went back from time to time, and saw game trails come from every direction, and last the dead bettles clean up what man would not. So after all that moose wasn't wasted.

No flames, no box, just nature and giving back. That is more or less where i am at. So while I see ick factor, I am nnjot like most other folks. I hunt and in some ways I dwell in the 18th century. Just the way I am.

So far as I know, when my little brother passed in 1998, he was the first in my family to be cremated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living