Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,279,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly that article is discussing Global subsidies and I would question the amount they have given.... If all subsidies were terminated tomorrow renewable projects would immediately go bankrupt while the fossil fuel industry would largely be unaffected.
Take a look at that 2007 report for the oild and natural gas subsidy. And no one mentioned ethanol, we are talking about solar energy.

"Expensing of Exploration and Development Costs"

Source: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicer.../subsidy08.pdf

You will find an enormous subsidy defined as:

The budget of the U.S. Government defines tax expenditures as “revenue losses
due to preferential provisions of the Federal tax laws, such as special exclusions, exemptions, deductions, credits, deferrals, or tax rates.”

Expensing of Exploration and Development Costs - 860 million in 2007

Capital Gains Treatment of Royalties on Coal - 170 million

30 % Credit for Residential Purchase/Installation of Solar and Fuel Cells - 10 million

Tell me that is not a significant subsidy.

Last edited by Werone; 08-22-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 05:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post

Tell me that is not a significant subsidy.
Yes and no. The oil and gas sector gets second largest subsidy, ethanol tops them all. Personally I'd like to see them all dropped, at the very most we should providing subsidies for R&D and that is it.

The oil and gas subsidy is significant because it's a large amount when you consider the total by itself, it's spread out over a lot of energy. It's fractions of a penny per gallon. It becomes an insignificant amount when you consider the volume. That's besides the fact the petroleum industry pays so much more than that back into the system.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes and no. The oil and gas sector gets second largest subsidy, ethanol tops them all. Personally I'd like to see them all dropped, at the very most we should providing subsidies for R&D and that is it.

The oil and gas subsidy is significant because it's a large amount when you consider the total by itself, it's spread out over a lot of energy. It's fractions of a penny per gallon. It becomes an insignificant amount when you consider the volume. That's besides the fact the petroleum industry pays so much more than that back into the system.

The significance of the subsidy for oil and natural gas, an industry with many, many years in business, is that everyone, including yourself, compares it with solar energy on a kWh basis and disregards the advantage the oil and NG industry has with the subsidy. Give the solar energy industry that subsidy and you will see significant yields in energy, energy that is clean, harvested on the spot and as a whole can significantly preserve our energy reserves, make communities more economically stable and make us all a little more independent. It is a very young industry with lots of potential and very little downside. The price is coming down, and will continue to do so with innovation and necessity.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
The significance of the subsidy for oil and natural gas, an industry with many, many years in business, is that everyone, including yourself, compares it with solar energy on a kWh basis and disregards the advantage the oil and NG industry has with the subsidy.
How much of advantage does fractions of penny on gallon give them? If the subsidy was dropped and the cost you pay for a gallon of gas went up half a cent are you really going to be concerned with it?

As far as subsidies for renewables we need to stop subsidizing production and move it to R&D. It's counter productive. If the government was subsidizing expensive automobiles to make them affordable to the common person when the automotive industry started do you think Henry Ford builds the Model T?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times
This is the one and only reason that the myth of "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" is in the forefront of our energy policy.....

Chicago Climate Exchange

Obama, Gore and the other hypocrites are neck deep in this. The CCX is expected to have a value of over a TRILLION DOLLARS after the energy bill is passed.

Being in the Solar industry, I can speak with authority on the subject. Most of my customers only care about the green....dollars that is.

The most liberal people will not buy solar panels unless they get a huge return on their investment. "Green" does not sell. People will not spend money on "Green".

Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
This is the one and only reason that the myth of "Global Warming" or "Climate Change" is in the forefront of our energy policy.....

Chicago Climate Exchange

Obama, Gore and the other hypocrites are neck deep in this. The CCX is expected to have a value of over a TRILLION DOLLARS after the energy bill is passed.

Being in the Solar industry, I can speak with authority on the subject. Most of my customers only care about the green....dollars that is.

The most liberal people will not buy solar panels unless they get a huge return on their investment. "Green" does not sell. People will not spend money on "Green".
Its not a myth, global warming is an empirical fact. The consequences of global warming is what is up for debate. You should know, being in the solar industry, that the more mass, mass from a gas like CO2 that is being released daily in large quantities from fossil fuel combustion, that you inject into the atmosphere the more energy will be absorbed and emitted in the infrared frequencies... and that means that energy cannot leave back out into space. Mass. So what myth are you talking about, global warming (Still?) or the effects of global warming?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,068,895 times
Quote:
Its not a myth, global warming is an empirical fact. The consequences of global warming is what is up for debate. You should know, being in the solar industry, that the more mass, mass from a gas like CO2 that is being released daily in large quantities from fossil fuel combustion, that you inject into the atmosphere the more energy will be absorbed and emitted in the infrared frequencies... and that means that energy cannot leave back out into space. Mass. So what myth are you talking about, global warming (Still?) or the effects of global warming?
"Global warming" is a myth. That's why the lib/progressives have changed it's name to "climate change". They cannot produce evidence that the earth's temperature has increased.

The liars have a great strategy....too much rain, too little rain, too cold, too hot, too much snow, no snow, too many hurricanes, no hurricanes....it's all because of "climate change".

It's all about control and money. Why do you ignore the facts that the chief climatologists routinely falsify data? Without the myth, there would be no funding. Al Gore became a multi-millionaire by "preying on our fears".

Wake up and smell the lies being brewed.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
I've listened to enough scientists and watched enough documentaries on the issue that i believe the scientists assessment on global warming rather than a bunch of disgruntled Republican keyboard commandos whose only obsession on the issue is their hatred of Obama.
Global Warming ? its happening!, the real question is how much of an impact is the human race playing in this warming trend .

Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,874,181 times
Most of the "greenies" I know are the same folks that will pay $5.00 for a cup of glorified coffee. I find it hard to give much credibility to the ideas of anyone who has a mindset that can justify that.

GL2

Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,355,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Most of the "greenies" I know are the same folks that will pay $5.00 for a cup of glorified coffee. I find it hard to give much credibility to the ideas of anyone who has a mindset that can justify that.

GL2
Sounds like you are now grouping every single greenie into the non credible group because you know some one who you believe to be a so called greenie buy a $5 cup of coffee, Weird logic.
I could say Most of the "gun lovers" I know are the same folks that will pay $50000 for a huge gas guzzling SUV/pickup. I find it hard to give much credibility to the ideas of anyone who has a mindset that can justify that.

I know of no greenies who would pay $5 for a cup of coffee,so does that make us credible again?

Last edited by jambo101; 08-23-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living