Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,281,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"Global warming" is a myth. That's why the lib/progressives have changed it's name to "climate change". They cannot produce evidence that the earth's temperature has increased.

The liars have a great strategy....too much rain, too little rain, too cold, too hot, too much snow, no snow, too many hurricanes, no hurricanes....it's all because of "climate change".

It's all about control and money. Why do you ignore the facts that the chief climatologists routinely falsify data? Without the myth, there would be no funding. Al Gore became a multi-millionaire by "preying on our fears".

Wake up and smell the lies being brewed.
Explain to me what happens to the heat that is absorbed by the ever increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. The data and the math present ever growing evidence evidence of heat gains, stop letting rush limbaugh and glenn beck, and hannity do all your thinking. Site some sources.

I give you Eric Conway, read his book "Merchants of Doubt".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds like you are now grouping every single greenie into the non credible group because you know some one who you believe to be a so called greenie buy a $5 cup of coffee, Weird logic.
I could say Most of the "gun lovers" I know are the same folks that will pay $50000 for a huge gas guzzling SUV/pickup. I find it hard to give much credibility to the ideas of anyone who has a mindset that can justify that.

I know of no greenies who would pay $5 for a cup of coffee,so does that make us credible again?
Jambo if you read my first sentence I said "most of the "greenies" I know. . .".
I don't know that many "greenies" because not too many of them are hanging out at the places I usually visit. The B&N Starbucks is about the only hangout where I see them regularly.

On the other hand there are a lot of people interested in wild life and wild life habitat at the Izaak Walton rifle range I visit quite often but I would not define them as "greenies". Yes a couple of them own $50,000 SUV's or pickups and they may use it to pull their $30,000 boat to their favorite fishing hole. However I have never seen any of these people pay $5.00 for a cup of coffee!

GL2

Old 08-23-2010, 09:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,405,685 times
I think people who pay $5 for a cup of coffee are wasting their money as far as i'm concerned whether they are greenies or Suv drivers 'in fact real greenies dont drink coffee they drink a tea based on what they've foraged in the woods that morning.I think its the Yuppies you are seeing at Starbucks.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Explain to me what happens to the heat that is absorbed by the ever increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Does anyone know? There's the gist of the problem.

Think of the globe like a house. We can have two houses with two drastically different heating needs because of different variables; insulation, windows... teenagers? The heat trapped by CO2 is only one variable of many.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,281,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Does anyone know? There's the gist of the problem.

Think of the globe like a house. We can have two houses with two drastically different heating needs because of different variables; insulation, windows... teenagers? The heat trapped by CO2 is only one variable of many.
Building science can now account for the difference in heating needs in homes. The energy balance equations work very well and can account and model homes very well. The simulations can accurately model and predict energy consumption due to building practices. The energy that is absorbed by CO2 changes wavelength, and it cannot radiate back into space so that heat is trapped here on earth. The evidence and the science is there, it is very obvious if you are interested in knowing the truth. Do not take my word for it, explore for yourself. It takes knowledge in how energy is delivered to earth, how it escapes earth, how it is absorbed....

Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Building science can now account for the difference in heating needs in homes. The energy balance equations work very well and can account and model homes very well. The simulations can accurately model and predict energy consumption due to building practices.
Well aware of what you can do, matter of fact I'm building my own calculator which I'm going to test against real world data collected from the members of my forum. However you cannot account for everything, teenagers and kids? That can have huge variations. Here's another example, we can go by what the manufacturer says on ratings for windows and insulation but what if they are poorly installed? Even the process you use to burn the fuel particularly with solid fuels like coal are variable. You have the same issues when trying to calculate all these variables on the earth.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,774,512 times
Being "green" has been so over-marketed and made into a specific model (and a consumer-based one, at that) where it's too easy for people to typecast "green" people into one easy-to-deride stereotype. The backlash risk is that living a more environmentally-friendly lifestyle starts to look like an indulgent yuppie affectation. To some extent it doesn't matter if these people are really "green" or not; they're being labeled (or are labeling themselves, because it's hip and trendy) that way, and they're the new symbol of what it means to be "green." And since so many people find those sorts of people to be annoying, yes, I think it could lead to a backlash. To really be sustainable then the concept of green living needs to be appealing and accessible to people across all economic, ethnic, religious, political, etc. lines.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,397,911 times
IT takes a lotta green to be green. It is an elitist movement largely followed by people who think they can buy absolution.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,995,226 times
Default too late.....bad eco-facists

Eco-fascism jumps the shark: massive, epic fail! – Telegraph Blogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living