Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,113,557 times

Advertisements

Since the recent heat has raised everyone's awareness of how much their AC systems run constantly and what it is costing them to pay for all of that electricity. I thought this would be a good time to point out that some local governments will help you pay for the cost of solar screens, more insulation, programmable thermostats, sealing your ducts and registers, new HVAC systems, and improving the energy efficiency of your homes. Such as: Rebates - Austin, TX

If you qualify there are even some low cost loans available for low income families.

Check with your local energy companies to see if they have anything available.

IN ADDITION this year 2010 there is still a Federal Tax Credit available if you pay to have the energy improvements done this year. The Federal Government will give you a tax credit to help pay for it, 30% of the cost up to $1,500.

Energy Incentives for Individuals in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act

Those federal tax credits are probably not going to be repeated in 2011 so this is a really excellent time to make these improvements at minimal cost to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 02:17 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,957,289 times
Excellent points CaptainRn. I'd like to point out that the tax credit programs allow you to offset the amount of tax you're paying by the costs of the upgrades... the gov't isn't giving you any money, just taking less Anyone interested in these programs, be sure to read the fine print. Some require you to have an energy audit, professional installation, meet a certain % of energy produced, or only apply to upgrades (not new construction) and some have caps or restrictions. But overall, it's a good way to get more efficient for less $$$.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Excellent points CaptainRn. I'd like to point out that the tax credit programs allow you to offset the amount of tax you're paying by the costs of the upgrades... the gov't isn't giving you any money, just taking less Anyone interested in these programs, be sure to read the fine print. Some require you to have an energy audit, professional installation, meet a certain % of energy produced, or only apply to upgrades (not new construction) and some have caps or restrictions. But overall, it's a good way to get more efficient for less $$$.
Exactly. I am buying new windows and the tax credit was only a small part of my decision to do so. The salesman was taking $1500 off the price of the windows & installation and I had to keep pointing out to him that that was dishonest since the credit is non-refundable. Then I had to explain what "non-refundable" means. I don't think it's really HIS fault; his boss probably told him to do that and didn't explain to him what the tax credit actually means. He could have looked it up online, but that's too much like work.

I told him that he shouldn't sell windows that way though; it's dishonest and will **** off some people.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:01 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,741,518 times
LoL it doesn't offset the increased energy cost that are being seen around the country. There is nothing you can do to avoid paying for energy. The less you use the more you'll pay for it.......... Don't even start about being off the grid either! it still cost you something....................

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,978,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
LoL it doesn't offset the increased energy cost that are being seen around the country. There is nothing you can do to avoid paying for energy. The less you use the more you'll pay for it.......... Don't even start about being off the grid either! it still cost you something....................
Did you have anything productive to add?

The 30% Federal rebate goes beyond the $1500.00 for certain HVAC systems as well as wind and solar energy generating systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living