Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmadison2 View Post
Gee thanks for dragging your scummy, disgusting bags back into the store for the rest of us to get sick from, LOL!
Explain how my reusable bags are "scummy" and "disgusting" if all they have ever contained is non-perishables or produce wrapped in plastic or in fine mesh bags. I'm waiting.

As I previously explained I have specific reusables for meat and dairy products that are regularly washed, and other reusables that are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 08:06 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Explain how my reusable bags are "scummy" and "disgusting" if all they have ever contained is non-perishables or produce wrapped in plastic or in fine mesh bags. I'm waiting.

As I previously explained I have specific reusables for meat and dairy products that are regularly washed, and other reusables that are not.
First just because meat or poultry is wrapped in plastic does not eliminate the risk of cross contamination. The packages can leak. Some of the product gets on the wrapper when the employee processes it.
Secondly your practices are a lot more tedious than most people are willing to go through and it will be difficult to regulate this. There simply is no way to ensure this will not cause big public health risks. So we will have to sanitize the counter between each customer with disposable wipes? Will this offset the bags you kept out of the landfill?

Old 11-17-2016, 12:36 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Was in walmart other day and was charged 10 cents for a strong reusable bag will keep in my car for a whatever need other then a grocery item

Old 11-18-2016, 02:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
It would be more practical to ban plastic bottles in all containers under 20 ounces in size to save plastic... encourage retailers to use paper bags in all items except meats and things that might leak and contaminate the bag. They were doing this at Pick N Saves and Shopkos in Wisconsin back when I was in high school 20 years ago.. I'm surprised 20 years later grocers and retailers use plastic bags for everything.

It's just a matter of getting people use to reusable or paper bags.. just a matter of routine.. I was brought up using paper bags so moving to an all plastic bag area was a bit of a shocker. Go the aldi route and have washable, reusable bags.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:22 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
yes, like many of the anti-sustainability arguments, there's a faulty assumption being used at the foundation, and this is it:

Consider the water use and energy use and cleaning solution use, plus the footprint of those, and you'll find that you would have had to use HUNDREDS of plastic bags to make your green ones worthwhile.

For starters, I have about 30 reusable bags and I haven't had to wash a single one of them.

Secondly, many grocery stores practically give the dang reusable bags away because in the end it saves them money.

There's no giant economic conspiracy here, it's simply smart business.

And really, what we're talking about is simply using bags that aren't designed to be disposed of. The conspiracy is that by adding the tag "reusable" you've suddenly joined Al Gore's Invisible Army of Brainwashed Hippies.

That bold sentence made me chuckle. Those reusable bags are loaded with pathogens, followed only by the bottoms of women's purses. When presented with this info, the choir of "I launder mine after each use" ensues. I always knew that was a Big Lie.

So I will continue to be "green" in other areas, and there are many. If the indignant shopper standing behind me with a smirk and her yucky reusable bag (and her disposable razors) doesn't like it--tough buns.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,556 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Several cities near us have banned plastic bags, but fortunately, we live equal distance from the same sets of stores. We do carry some reusable bags but most of the time simply choose to go to the ones in the city that still allows them. The used plastic bags are great for use as trash bags in small wastebaskets, for packing material when shipping, and they are far easier to carry the stuff into the house, you can carry 6-7 of them at once.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:55 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Those plastic bags do disinagrate after a while. Had some things packed away and lateter on the bottom fell apart and dumped my things on floor.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:01 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Several cities near us have banned plastic bags, but fortunately, we live equal distance from the same sets of stores. We do carry some reusable bags but most of the time simply choose to go to the ones in the city that still allows them. The used plastic bags are great for use as trash bags in small wastebaskets, for packing material when shipping, and they are far easier to carry the stuff into the house, you can carry 6-7 of them at once.
Great for picking up dog poo (which we have to do here in Oregon), and other gross stuff we would rather not touch.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:03 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
While I try to be green, I agree with the court. This would be a hardship for many people (especially those in the lower economic statuses). I forget my reusable bags around 40% of the time. While you might want to, you can't legislate this stuff.
I re-cycle everything I can and don't even need to pay for garbage service. But I oppose banning plastic bags for groceries or other merchandise. There are times when you need them, such as when it's raining and paper bags will melt while you're walking home. A neighboring city, that is caught in the throes of political correctness to the absurd degree, has banned them and lost a lot of business to those who shop over here.

I always have a couple of disposable plastic grocery bags with me, to carry trash I pick up or to put over my camera when it unexpectedly rains. I remember how difficult it was to shop for groceries before they were invented and to buy small, multiple items of things like produce. In those days, groceries were carried out in cardboard boxes that had brought the merchandise in from distributors. There was far more waste from them put into the garbage or burned, than from thin little plastic bags. For a long time now, those cardboard boxes have been fully re-cycled, right at the stores.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:39 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Those plastic bags do disinagrate after a while. Had some things packed away and lateter on the bottom fell apart and dumped my things on floor.
That is not a case of *disintegration*.

Quality wise it is a badly made product.
When the *bottom falls apart*, it just lost its seam ...

The rest of the material will still be there for a very long time.

Just put some behind the kitchen door, and those bags will make babies !
3 weeks later more bags there !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living