Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,449,745 times

Advertisements

Beware the green police. They don't carry guns and there's no police academy to train them, but if you don't recycle your trash properly, they can walk up your driveway and give you a $100 ticket.

They know what's in your trash, they know what you eat, they know how often you bring your recycles to the curb -- and they may be coming to your town soon.

FOXNews.com - Cities Increasingly Turn to 'Trash Police' to Enforce Recycling Laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM

513 posts, read 538,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Beware the green police. They don't carry guns and there's no police academy to train them, but if you don't recycle your trash properly, they can walk up your driveway and give you a $100 ticket.

They know what's in your trash, they know what you eat, they know how often you bring your recycles to the curb -- and they may be coming to your town soon.

FOXNews.com - Cities Increasingly Turn to 'Trash Police' to Enforce Recycling Laws

At least the "offenders" are at least putting garbage in bags and trying to recycle some - I'd love to see more effort on getting the litterbugs who throw their fast-food bags/wrappers/cups on the side of the road.

But yes, accidently mixing up different plastics is a much bigger threat to the planet!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,818,857 times
And to think this was supposed to be done in jest......

Green Police Audi Super Bowl Ad | SPIKE

Seems it was closer to the truth than anyone knew. Insanity!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:30 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Recycling is optional in my city but I would like to see it be mandatory someday.

However, I do not agree with tagging peoples' trash cans ever or fining them at present. I do agree with refuse collectors keeping general stats on a street or neighborhood to see if they need to hold a meeting or presentation or hand out literature encouraging people to recycle and reminding them what can and can't be recycled and also to show them what's in it for them; even if they're not moved by protecting the environment, maybe the city can appeal to their wallets by reminding them how much landfill space costs and how much trash the average non-recycling household produces annually.

I like nudging and prodding rather than beating someone down for not recycling. I also think companies should be strongly encouraged or even required to A.) use recyclable materials in packaging and/or B.) reduce or eliminate packaging overall.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,915,899 times
This is wrong on so many levels it is disturbing. It wreaks of Orwellian society. I could change the focus and topic applying the very same applications being suggested and the same people who would support it in this case, would throw a complete fit about infringements in my change.

It is hypocrisy of the people and their self interested pet projects to which will keep them throwing away each others individual rights until none are left and they live under an oppressive rule to which they have created.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:43 PM

56,957 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

We are running out of landfills and resources, there are some people that are bascially too lazy to make the effort and it costs the municipalities money. Just a simple thing like newpaper recycling could save considerable money as opposed to dumping it in landfills.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,915,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We are running out of landfills and resources, there are some people that are bascially too lazy to make the effort and it costs the municipalities money. Just a simple thing like newpaper recycling could save considerable money as opposed to dumping it in landfills.
Or, the "states" are trying to make more money under the guise of appealing to the fanatics?

When I lived in California, there was a time where my wife and I used to recycle everything. We separated plastic, cans, paper, glass, tin, etc... into our own bins and every month or so we would take them down and cash them in. The state couldn't stand that people were making money through private means and actually doing something productive for the environment as well, so since they already had control of the garbage collection system, they simply mandated recycle collection bins, forced people to have them and began to charge them a monthly fee for them.

People like me, who were already doing such on our own couldn't opt out. We had to pay for them and due to the fact that the cost of these bins kept going up, it got to the point that the profit we could make by doing our own recycling couldn't keep up with these fee's.

That is when I recognized that this issue was nothing more than a cash grab by the city and state and they pushed their gestapo mandates on the people out of greed, hidden behind the claim of "caring for the planet" and dealing with the growing land fill problem they lamented over.

I watched several private industries try to start up concerning the recycling to which would have allowed the individual to make money as well as the private business. I watched each one shot down by the city and state as the tried to protect their precious money grab.

Sorry, I stopped recycling then. Their actions, their greed, their irresponsible behavior and are nothing more than self interested schemes to get suckers to pay them money (much like stupid carbon credit programs). I knew many who did as I did for the same reasons and they also stopped recycling.

If the city and state wants their precious recyclables, the city and state officials along with their caring environmentalist Nazi's can dig through the landfills and separate it themselves.

I moved to another state and may the state of California (as well as all other that follow in its ignorant footsteps) suffer from their own ignorance and greed.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 PM

56,957 posts, read 25,891,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Or, the "states" are trying to make more money under the guise of appealing to the fanatics?

When I lived in California, there was a time where my wife and I used to recycle everything. We separated plastic, cans, paper, glass, tin, etc... into our own bins and every month or so we would take them down and cash them in. The state couldn't stand that people were making money through private means and actually doing something productive for the environment as well, so since they already had control of the garbage collection system, they simply mandated recycle collection bins, forced people to have them and began to charge them a monthly fee for them.

People like me, who were already doing such on our own couldn't opt out. We had to pay for them and due to the fact that the cost of these bins kept going up, it got to the point that the profit we could make by doing our own recycling couldn't keep up with these fee's.

That is when I recognized that this issue was nothing more than a cash grab by the city and state and they pushed their gestapo mandates on the people out of greed, hidden behind the claim of "caring for the planet" and dealing with the growing land fill problem they lamented over.

I watched several private industries try to start up concerning the recycling to which would have allowed the individual to make money as well as the private business. I watched each one shot down by the city and state as the tried to protect their precious money grab.

Sorry, I stopped recycling then. Their actions, their greed, their irresponsible behavior and are nothing more than self interested schemes to get suckers to pay them money (much like stupid carbon credit programs). I knew many who did as I did for the same reasons and they also stopped recycling.

If the city and state wants their precious recyclables, the city and state officials along with their caring environmentalist Nazi's can dig through the landfills and separate it themselves.

I moved to another state and may the state of California (as well as all other that follow in its ignorant footsteps) suffer from their own ignorance and greed.
I can sympathize with what happened in CA, I know places in Vermont where its the same way but at least its optional. The East Coast cities are completely different and without some form of enforcement( they have not gone to that extent yet). There are people that just will not recycle anything even making the effort to place something at the curb. Long Island exports a decsnt percentage of its trash to PA butthat will not last for long. Eventually they will need to step up enforcement.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:19 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,653,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I can sympathize with what happened in CA, I know places in Vermont where its the same way but at least its optional. The East Coast cities are completely different and without some form of enforcement( they have not gone to that extent yet). There are people that just will not recycle anything even making the effort to place something at the curb. Long Island exports a decsnt percentage of its trash to PA butthat will not last for long. Eventually they will need to step up enforcement.
Which will create more Californias. Will you then still sympathize?

The bottom line benefits of mass recycling programs are a matter for much debate, but that matters not to eco-fanatics. Recycling has taken its place along side "global warming" as a cornerstone of their religion. And that religion is all about the control of others....nothing more, nothing less.

Your goal is accomplished when your will is successfully imposed on the rest of the population....when their free will is replaced by your regulation. I'm much more concerned about the growing cult of eco-evangelicals than I am about my plastic grocery bags as you are a far greater danger to the future well being of free people than they ever could be.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:23 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,955,053 times
I always recycle & cash in my cans, glass & plastic. Like hell if im giving the city or state more money then i have to. They are already screwing me enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living