Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,715,648 times

Advertisements

(Nov. 1) -- Someday, millions of Americans will be drinking their own urine, says Robert Roy Britt, managing editor of LiveScience.com, a news site that prides itself on the provocative approach it takes to science.

In a recent commentary for the site, Britt, based in arid Phoenix, said that because of imminent drought in the West, many people will have to rely on treated sewage -- containing human waste -- for their drinking water.

Soon We'll Be Drinking Recycled Pee; Some of Us Already Are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 PM

141 posts, read 293,804 times
Don't we already drink our own pee? Isn't that why we have stuff like treatment plants?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,548,823 times
290 gallons of water for every man woman and child in the entire US go by my office every day on their way to the Gulf of Mexico. Many people swim in the Ohio River. Not my cup of tea, but isn't it obvious that this is simply a decision people make that they want to live or work in parts of the country with no water? Simple solution: live somewhere else.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,735,132 times
What's the difference between recycling waste water and dumping it into a lake three or four miles from a "fresh" water intake so that we can suck the same water back in and begin the cycle again? Treatment plants dump treated waste water into lakes and rivers anyway. Might as well just save the round trip by completing the purification process, and put it back in to the fresh water system. I'm kind of surprised that it isn't being done more already.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM

572 posts, read 1,614,356 times
There is more or less a finite amount of water on planet earth. A tiny amount has been blasted out into space in the last 40 years but that amount wouldn't make up 1/1,000,000 of one percent.

All the rest of the water (at some point in our planet's long history) has been consumed either by a human or an animal so every drop on the planet is most likely someone or something elses waste. All that matters is how clean the water is when you consume it. You can let the earth clean it or you can treat it yourself but the whole argument about drinking pee is just a marvelous headline to get you to read a news article.

Either all water is pee because it's all been consumed before or clean water isn't pee, but it can't be both. And since no one is planning to drink untreated urine isn't this story basically bu**sh**?

Just my two cents.......

Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,711,218 times
It isn't the urine you need to worry about. Waste watering processing facilities are pretty good at reclaiming water. The problem is that there is no process for removing medications from the water. Blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, and medications like estrogen are in our drinking water. Estrogen is raising havoc on the marine life in our waters. Without a doubt it is also effecting all of us. Urine in the water should be the least of your concerns.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,760,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
Don't we already drink our own pee? Isn't that why we have stuff like treatment plants?
That's correct! This is a non issue. We've been drinking recycled water for the major part of the 20th century....Pump it out of the aquifer or lake or reservoir, a little chlorine a little fluoride and it's coming out of the tap....Flush it back down the toilet it's treated in the waste water treatment plant....back it goes to the aquifer (filtered more along the way by nature) ..........Heck I took a huge leak in Lake Superior the other day.....Right up by Superior WI! Take that cheeseheads!.....

Old 11-09-2010, 03:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,232,100 times
Back in the old days, a house had an outhouse privy and a well. The pee leached down through the soil and eventually entered the water supply for the well. Today, we do it faster.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,393,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
(Nov. 1) -- Someday, millions of Americans will be drinking their own urine, says Robert Roy Britt, managing editor of LiveScience.com, a news site that prides itself on the provocative approach it takes to science.

In a recent commentary for the site, Britt, based in arid Phoenix, said that because of imminent drought in the West, many people will have to rely on treated sewage -- containing human waste -- for their drinking water.

Soon We'll Be Drinking Recycled Pee; Some of Us Already Are

Never have and never will. I have always had my own drilled well and separate spetic system. The one now is located at least 100 ft away from the well which is 400' deep. My last pc of proeprty had 4 wells on it. My water now has a trace element of maganese, and a bit of sand that I filter, that's it. It's better than bottled water.

Enjoy your city water.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,948,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
Never have and never will. I have always had my own drilled well and separate spetic system. The one now is located at least 100 ft away from the well which is 400' deep. My last pc of proeprty had 4 wells on it. My water now has a trace element of maganese, and a bit of sand that I filter, that's it. It's better than bottled water.

Enjoy your city water.
Yeah, your well is magically connected to "The Source of Never Used Water!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living