Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:48 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times

Advertisements

I guess that you've never traveled with a sick child. Double bagging doesn't always cover that odor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
I can understand the times when it's necessary or at least very helpful. And some people re-use (not just dump into a recycle bin) theirs to pick up dog poop , or to put garbage in a mini garbage can.

But, there are also the other folks who just take X plastic bags every grocery trip, and throw them in the garbage.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
But why use plastic bags? It is wasteful even if they are recycled. Recycling uses lots of energy.

why use paper then? paper is just as wasteful and takes a lot of energy to recycle them too. Same goes for plastic and glass containers.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:30 AM

seriously...I think more people should put time and effort into recycling than to try and ban things.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,865,191 times
i couldn't say whether paper is better than plastic. I would suggest that people bring their own reusable bags whenever possible.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i couldn't say whether paper is better than plastic. I would suggest that people bring their own reusable bags whenever possible.

if you want to use reusable bags, thats great. I just don't think people should be forced to do so.

Sometimes on my way home from work I stop by the grocery store...do I need to carry a reuseable bag all the time for such occasions? I have even witnessed a reusable bag exploding because the customer didn't quite take into consideration that they would be shopping for more stuff than the little bags can handle.

dunno....sounds like more of an inconvenience to always have a reusable bag handy.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
First of all, I never ever buy plastic bags. Never. I reuse the ones I get at the supermarket. I put my produce in light plastic bags, and reuse those as freezer bags or for other purposes after I empty them. The supermarket shopping bags with handles, I use as trash-can liners, and they go in the trash when full. I bring home more than I use, and my dishwasher is packed full of them. My supermarket recycles them, so I can take them back when I can't get the door shut on the dishwasher anymore.

By the way, I found a practical tip. When I weigh produce in a plastic bag at the store and enter the UPC code, I get a sticker to put on the bag, to scan. I carefully place the sticker right at the open edge of the bag, so the bag can be reused in the freezer. Then I can Sharpie the contents of the bag onto the label already affixed, to identify it in the freezer.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,239 times
I'd say I used between three to five little plastic supermarket bags a week. I use them for the garbage.

Plastic bags are not really one of my pet causes, to be honest. However, I do think it pays to try to leave a reasonably light footprint to the extent one can.

Like most people, I get the little plastic bags at the supermarket. If I did it "my way," I'd really just not bother with the bags at all...... I'd just stick the groceries right in my car from the shopping cart. A little extra work, but not a big deal to me. But I'll admit that I kind of let the supermarket checkout clerks foist the bags on me. They hand the plastic bags out like friggin' Pez candy. I find it utterly ridiculous the way some stores put so few things in a bag. And of course this is probably in response the the gaggles of whiny old and middle aged people who don't know how to shut their f'ing trap and just put the crap in a bag and get the hell out of the store without holding everyone else up... but no.... some people have to pack everything a "special way." Anyway, the results of decades of whiny old people getting their way is that many/most supermarkets waste bags such that they put one or two items in the bag and then hand it to you, even though the bag could probably hold five or ten other things easily.

Anyway, I'll admit I often let the supermarket foist that idiocy on me at the places where the cashiers rather insist on doing the packing. I could try to fight it.... but sometimes it's just more trouble than its worth.

I'd really rather pack all the stuff myself, because even if I take the bags, I could at least minimize them. I could bark out "don't pack my bags, I'll do it myself," but for whatever reason, I think some cashiers and baggers might take offense to that. I'd rather not have a mountain of stupid plastic bags sitting around my house. It's not even a purely environmental issue, per se.... I just don't need the mountain of crap. But of course these supermarkets insist on packing your stuff for you.... which really makes me want to rant some more, because the only reason they do this is because of decades of pressure from whiny, old and middle aged people who think its somehow their entitlement to have their crap packed for them. Anyway... blech.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM

6 posts, read 13,827 times
Got a grudge with old-timers, son? No but honestly I know where you´re coming from. As for plastic bags, I always carry around with me one of those canvas tote bags. You can stuff it in your jacket´s pocket when not using it and whenever you have the need, there it is! I always politely make the cashiers aware that I have a bag already and don´t need their plastic one. I see no problem in doing that and I don´t see why they would take offence. The bags I end up getting I use for trash. Real easy, if you think about it!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:33 PM

and here is another thought.....

the plastic bags that I get from my grocery stores, are weak. After being out in the rain for a couple days, mine seem to break apart (not break down...just apart) However, garbage bags these days like from Hefty are designed not to break apart....I have a feeling that those will take much much longer to break down. So why not ban those then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living