Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:14 PM

776 posts, read 581,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
OK, I'm a Diesel mech too and have a Chief boiler operator ticket. I have worked extensively with the U of M diesel program scientist in the use of soy based bioD in power generation ( much of this work was used to develop Minnesota Bio diesel standard) I can tell you categorically that the best use of bio-d is in boilers. When used in a CI-rice in blends above 20% the NOx raises exponentially. When used in a boiler you can us much higher blend up to 100% and maintain low emission rates. Any oil fired boiler used in PG run F/O preheaters as standard equipment............just saying...
I can't argue on this as I think you know more on the soy side than I do. Thank you for your chime in as I didn't know if their were any draw backs to using soy bio-diesel in boilers. It doesn't sound like a bad idea, I, and others I known, have used 'road blends' and it works great. There is a lot of truckers not liking soy biodiesel so I'm glade we have found a great use for it, keep more jobs in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 02:18 PM

776 posts, read 581,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow, you guys must keep your thermostat at 80 degrees! With the thermostat at 65 degrees, in suburban Philadelphia, I use about 200-250 gallons of oil each season. And that was with a 40-year-old furnace, which I just replaced last April.

There's no natural gas source in my neighborhood, so oil is pretty much my only choice.
A friend of mine in Iowa has a corn waste furnace, he said it's pennies on the dollar for his winter heating. The only drawback, he said, was his entire house smells like popcorn for six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living