Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:05 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times

Advertisements

I've also been finding these small towns in Utah and CO are extremely bike-friendly.
Richfield, Green River, Greeley, and places like these have many drivers with big pickups and such.
But rather than get stuck behind me, they either calmly go around or the shoulders already big enough to where I'm not an issue.

I guess it's a combination of easy-going/country-side living, small-population, and probably because they saw me driving the semi into town a little earlier before pulling the bicycle out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Departing and returning in the wee hours of the morning helps. Also working at night , albeit there remain some fools who think they're the s#!t in these cheesy a$$ cars Riding on the bumper with no additional cars for blocks. When this happens , I either let them pass , or slow to about 5.
I am not the slowest driver in the world by far and when I look in the rear view mirror and only see the hood of the car behind me and not their bumper I do the same thing....

Slowly lift my foot off the gas until they pass me...

There was one time where I did this (Escalade right behind me). Slowed down and they stayed right on my bumper... then they started beeped their horn.. mind you when they came up behind me I was doing 75....

I finally saw red and slammed on the brakes... They got the hint...

These people who drive land barges and expect everyone to get out of their way....

Old 03-31-2011, 10:27 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I feel that when I started using my bicycle for everything but the longest of trips back in 2005, my anger whenever I was in a car began to subside.

Prior to that, I was practically driving everywhere for the three years after I learned to drive.
Being cut off, being bullied on the streets by other drivers, and general stand-still traffic got me into a few, "close-call" confrontations.
However, once I began to balance the bicycle/car usage out, these things began to happen less frequently.

Also, I still drive a semi as a job and found the long-haul runs between the rural areas and big cities to be not as bad as say, delivering between points in the LA Basin.
I don't drive less because of idiots. I drive the same regardless of them. I drive defensive and responsible. Past that, I am not concerned about those other drivers. A person on a bicycle can be just as dangerous (we had a runner who was killed by a cyclist not to long ago) and people walking are just as rude and obnoxious as those who drive. Since I do not get "raged" about the fact that many people are socially moronic, it would be pointless to do the same with those who drive. I have yet to encounter these idiots behavior to which have caused me any major danger as I drive in a manner that expects those around me to be too stupid to draw in breath.

Aside from those who make MAJOR poor decisions (like running a hard red light without a thought), I account for most of their stupid decisions and avoid the issues of being outraged by their actions. Treat everyone you meet as if they may a complete idiot in terms of your caution and you can avoid many of the upsets that evolve from such situations.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
Nope I got high gas prices to blame this one on.....

Old 04-27-2011, 01:04 PM

23 posts, read 28,568 times
Funny how People who dont do this for a living love to judge those that do. It may not be a case for anger management if youve been at at it more than five years. And since youre only as human as a non CDL driver, you may just be suffering from driver burn-out, like bus, taxi and transit drivers do eventually.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,550 times
Some people use Road Rage as an outlet for the stress in their life.

They are actually driving more

Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I feel that when I started using my bicycle for everything but the longest of trips back in 2005, my anger whenever I was in a car began to subside.

Prior to that, I was practically driving everywhere for the three years after I learned to drive.
Being cut off, being bullied on the streets by other drivers, and general stand-still traffic got me into a few, "close-call" confrontations.
However, once I began to balance the bicycle/car usage out, these things began to happen less frequently.

Also, I still drive a semi as a job and found the long-haul runs between the rural areas and big cities to be not as bad as say, delivering between points in the LA Basin.
No, nothing will keep me from driving. Once you've driven transit, you become more aggresive and don't wait for other to "let" you merge.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,428 times
Once I asked a NYC cab driver if he sometimes felt like getting out of the cab and beating the cr%p out of another driver.

He said that yes but you can't beat up everyone who cuts you off as you wouldn't have time for anything else.

Sooo......... there you go

I remember that comment a lot when driving.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I drove a cab in Manhattan for a couple of years....

People always got angry at me, not the other way around.

Hey.... gotta pick those fares up

Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I don't drive less but I do drive differently.

I avoid the highway and take back roads instead. Luckily, I rarely have to drive more than 10 miles one way to a destination and I know all the back ways to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living