Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 06:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,225,106 times

Advertisements

Has anyone built an outdoor shower that is NOT connected to the house water supply? Something with a recycled water tank painted black mounted on the roof or on a tower to provide the water?

I'm looking for something that's a step up from those Wal Mart five-gallon camp shower bags that can be semi-permanent to use on a regular basis when I'm done with chores outside. Something uncomplicated and rustic and with the ability to provide both cold AND solar-heated warm water to mix for a shower.

Here's a few I found online:

Build your own solar shower for pennies by Edward Shultz from the November/December, 2006 issue of Countryside & Small Stock Journal

The best little shower in Texas....by Carl Winters

tinygogo: April 2009

Solar Shower Project - Homesteading Today

(That last one is a beauty and I'd LOVE to have the plans for it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
DIY Outdoor Solar Shower
A Simple Solar-Heated Shower
ractical Solar Power:Steve Baer' s Done ' Er Again!

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Wow, thanks, Branson!

Good old Mother Earth News -- the original way to live green.

Hubby and I are already poring over the articles and appreciate your taking the time to post them.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post

I'm looking for something that's a step up from those Wal Mart five-gallon camp shower bags
In 2004 I was introduced to the best piece of camping gear I've seen used or bought in thirty years. I bought my own.

Your basic garden pump sprayer. Mine was a one gallon plastic model but the bigger and the stainless ones work too.

Fill it up, set it out in the sun and a few hours later you have enough water for two short haired people to take a nice shower.
Pick the jug up and take it anywhere you would prefer to be naked for the next half hour or so.

Pump a few times, spray, soap, rinse. Work your way south. Done.

I found that it also works great for rinsing off dishes and if you trim the wand back some it handles easier.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks, Mr. Rational!

The visual in your reply was so funny I just HAVE to get one and try it out. Actually, get TWO and hubby can have his own, since I have long hair and love long showers. I could carry it around while I garden naked -- NOT.

Nice to see an item usually associated only with pesticide/herbicide application repurposed so well.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:55 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,601,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In 2004 I was introduced to the best piece of camping gear I've seen used or bought in thirty years. I bought my own.

Your basic garden pump sprayer. Mine was a one gallon plastic model but the bigger and the stainless ones work too.

Fill it up, set it out in the sun and a few hours later you have enough water for two short haired people to take a nice shower.
Pick the jug up and take it anywhere you would prefer to be naked for the next half hour or so.

Pump a few times, spray, soap, rinse. Work your way south. Done.

I found that it also works great for rinsing off dishes and if you trim the wand back some it handles easier.

Now that is as simple as it gets

Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 PM

34,105 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
The visual in your reply was so funny I just HAVE to get one and try it out.

Nice to see an item usually associated only with pesticide/herbicide application repurposed so well.
I'm glad the prose and the idea are both being appreciated.
The stainless models can be set near the fire (not too near!) to warm water and there's no reason not to have one of the 2 or 3 gal models.

They work great at the beach for rinsing off salt & sand too.
On the pesticide point: I used a paint marker: "Fresh Water Only"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living