Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
You claim to be a Submariner. Remember the Bonefish. Battery fires are horrible. That one was an old battery caused by many factors. But it was compatible as far as DC is concerned. There was another battery fire a few years ago in the Navy, ASDS. The battery's , Lithium IOn, are just not stable or recyclable, yet. They are an EPA hazard if in a car wreck and they are very explosive. The best car out there is the older Prius, as there battery's weren't LIon, as far as hybrids.
Gasoline is very clean, with the emission standards required. Look at how low emissions are. Two vehicles were noted to actually clean the air when in LA. Coal is what the media is crucifying with its carbon footprint, yet the corolla was far less..
I can see that you just want to argue and be somewhat sarcastic, which is a typical of us submariners, without agreeing to disagree. So I made my points and I am out of here.
I have survived through a few fires underway.

I am aware of the hazards.

I have also survived a flooding incident in my career [which is actually a much worse thing when it comes to battery-banks underwater].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 04:59 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
The Bonefish was lost due to a seawater leak that shorted out her electrical circuit. The battery was involved only in that it supplied the energy for the arch that caused the fire. I'm guessing that EVs won't have a problem with seawater leaks.

Why don't you leave submarine stories to the submariners.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
I love solar. I am hopeful for it's future. However, you have to throw another wrinkle into the equation. Suppose some of us buy used cars? Let me give you an example.

Buy a used say, camry, for 5-7k. Spend 1-2k in reconditioning costs. Drive it for another 4-5 years, dump it for 2-4k. Repeat. Net net? Less in insurance and other operating costs for a lower overall total cost of ownership.

Based in that model, it's going to be a long, long time before solar will make sense. I would love to see solar go mainstream for the same or even slightly more (10%) TCOS and I would buy it. Imagine. Free power....for life. Until the cost of solar gets down to 10 cents a watt vs. $1 a watt it's just not going to happen.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The Bonefish was lost due to a seawater leak that shorted out her electrical circuit. The battery was involved only in that it supplied the energy for the arch that caused the fire. I'm guessing that EVs won't have a problem with seawater leaks.

Why don't you leave submarine stories to the submariners.
The guy is a submariner. And the Bonefish battery was my way of showing how that battery fire was manageable,as opposed to LiOn. The Lithium Ion battery's are not safe in my opinion.
I guess we arent on the same page. I am staying clear of LiOn batterys till they prove to be safer and recyclable.
And I am a Submariner shipmate..and one of my Church members was on that boat when it happened. It could have been allot worse.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have survived through a few fires underway.

I am aware of the hazards.

I have also survived a flooding incident in my career [which is actually a much worse thing when it comes to battery-banks underwater].
5 fires, 1 flooding. Blew the tanks dry on the later, and took 14 hours on the surface to recharge. Fun, huh.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
The guy is a submariner. And the Bonefish battery was my way of showing how that battery fire was manageable,as opposed to LiOn. The Lithium Ion battery's are not safe in my opinion.
I guess we arent on the same page. I am staying clear of LiOn batterys till they prove to be safer and recyclable.
Not to argue here. As an honest question, do LiOn batteries outgass anything poisonous when they burn, the way that our batteries do when exposed to seawater?

Quote:
... And I am a Submariner shipmate..and one of my Church members was on that boat when it happened. It could have been allot worse.
All mishaps, could have been a lot worse.

If we had not re-designed every system to the improved 'sub-safe' standards; if Hyman Rickover had not been such a stickler to micro-managed protocol; if we did not hold to the highest standards in training and professionalism; each mishap cold have been worse.

As to solar panels and electric cars; I think it is great that people are trying.

I think it is great that folks come up with these questions. It means they are thinking.

It means that maybe one day we will be able to get off of petroleum-dependency just as another bubblehead tried to do back when a bubblehead was in the White House, and the D.O.E. was created for that purpose.

Until we get synthetic dilithium Crystals into commercial production, we need both government programs that encourage energy production/conservation, and we need individuals trying to figure out new ways to do it.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM

Depends on the LiOn. One releases deadly gas, but the automotive ones dont.
Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and here.
Is Lithium-Ion A Borgia Battery? - Seeking Alpha

Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
And I am a Submariner shipmate..and one of my Church members was on that boat when it happened. It could have been allot worse.
I'm an engineer qualified submariner and the you going to church with a submariner doesn't mean squat. There was no battery fire on the Bonefish.

There is no such thing as a "Submariner shipmate". You're qualified in Submarines or you aren't.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I'm an engineer qualified submariner and the you going to church with a submariner doesn't mean squat. There was no battery fire on the Bonefish.

There is no such thing as a "Submariner shipmate". You're qualified in Submarines or you aren't.
Was there not a fire on the Bonefish? While the sub was submerged, seawater began leaking onto cables and electrical buses in a battery supply cableway. Electrical arcing between cables caused an explosion which flashed into a fire within minutes, with temperatures in the battery spaces reaching 1,200° Fahrenheit. I would consider that a fire SHIPMATE. You must be a Nuke Enlisted, as an O4 wouldnt take this tone. I qualified Oct 1990.
The reason I posted the person I went to church with was , the story he told me was that it could have been worse. You know, like more people could have died.
Are you a submariner? Doubt it. You are probably an A Ganger, never made it past E5.
And the Submariner "Shipmate" didnt have a comma after Submariner. Excuse me......

Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Corolla @ 150,000 miles would cost your $14,997 in fuel.
Leaf @ 150.000 miles would cost you $5,100 in fuel.

It sounds to me like the Leaf by spending $5,100 in fuel is cheaper to operate than the Corolla at $14,997.
The average electric rate is a bit higher, think it's up around 12 cents so it's more like $6K plus if we're using a figure of 4285 gallons of fuel for the Corrolla we have to add another $2K in taxes the electric car is not paying. Keep in mind those are average rates for conventional electric, the lowest rates historically have been in areas that utilize coal a lot with the exception of the Northwest that has a lot of hydro. We're getting a bit off the topic because it's going to be a lot more trying to power it just with solar.

Having said that the fuel is still cheaper but I have to wonder how long that is going to last with all the coal plant closings. It's currently being buffered by low natural gas rates but I have mt doubts that will last more than 2 or 3 years.

The Corrola becomes a better buy using Steve's calculations because of the large margin in the cost of the vehicle itself and that is before we consider other things like convenience, what car do you want to drive across the continent with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living