Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM

24 posts, read 34,042 times

Advertisements

I agree with you when you said that the level of radiation is causing cancer. We can find several such carcinogens present which can result in cancer. Even our food which is treated by chemicals, like pesticides, color, preservatives are all not good for health. Why not we are taking it seriously and eliminating Adulterated food, where in lieu of that we can have organic food to eat. And the nuclear power plants have certain guidelines, which the engineers must take seriously, while building nuclear power stations. Certainly this is an issue to concern about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
Default Ebr-ii

I did a Wiki search on EBR-II and related reactors. This is an entire technology we have failed to continue to research and commercialize. Some of these designs are nearly self contained and small enough to suitable for distributed nuclear power with full fuel recycle and breeding.

I suppose we can blame Big Coal, Big Oil and Big Gas for our failure to pursue these alternatives to a permanent electrical supply independent of foreign sources.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,793,354 times
Nuke plants are bad news. I worked at one for a couple of years and did not feel safe. They may be efficient and clean but what about after they have to change all of those fuel rods out. Everything removed is highly radioactive and they stick it in the ground for God knows how long because of the high levels of radiation. SO now we are polluting the earth with highly contaminated radiological garbage for generations to come. These rods have to be changed out quite often as well.

They also cause a threat for terrorists, natural disasters, etc..if you take a nuke plant out, you take out everyone in a hundred mile radius.

I am against nuke power...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 AM

217 posts, read 361,616 times
At the University of Chicago run EBR-II reactor, it is well known the White House shut it down as a feel good measure. Costs were not an issue at the time.

Today, unless the project involves waste clean up, government funding is again impossible. There was some hope to fund a high temperature reactor that produces hydrogen, but today, that would not, again, feel good to the current White House dwellers and supporters.

I'm completely supportive of capitalistic endeavors, but since the government licenses plants, drawing up another research reactor is next to impossible if not done in house.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
Default Bad choice

Big Oil and Bigger Coal win another lobbying battle. So long as their monopoly is protected the rest of us can pay for their profits.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:57 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,021,677 times
We can install wind and solar capacity much more quickly than nuclear and without the cost and safety problems. We can have a Fukushima type accident in the US.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Nuclear's problem is that it costs too much. No company will build one without government cost guarantees..

Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
OK you twos. Other than my opinion on feeling sorry funding was cut to the integral fuel cycle reactor, what have I said was not from actual experience? Do you just want to continue throwing passionate responses using your own opinions, or should ee continue to share knowledge of the opened Pandora's Box that is nuclear fission. Title of the thread is concern. Education breeds confidence. Shark experts swim with those fishes, but until I'm educated they usually don't eat divers under water, I'd be concerned to have an unexpected encounter.

Your choice if you want to have a heart attack when another reactor breech occurs. My choice to calmly leave the area.
So you have experience in the field.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick gar View Post
At the University of Chicago run EBR-II reactor, it is well known the White House shut it down as a feel good measure. Costs were not an issue at the time.

Today, unless the project involves waste clean up, government funding is again impossible. There was some hope to fund a high temperature reactor that produces hydrogen, but today, that would not, again, feel good to the current White House dwellers and supporters.

I'm completely supportive of capitalistic endeavors, but since the government licenses plants, drawing up another research reactor is next to impossible if not done in house.
It was modified in the mid 60s and then ran for 30 years proving the technical feasibility of the concept. What it lacked was commercial interest among vendors and potential owners.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Nuke plants are bad news. I worked at one for a couple of years and did not feel safe. They may be efficient and clean but what about after they have to change all of those fuel rods out. Everything removed is highly radioactive and they stick it in the ground for God knows how long because of the high levels of radiation. SO now we are polluting the earth with highly contaminated radiological garbage for generations to come. These rods have to be changed out quite often as well.

They also cause a threat for terrorists, natural disasters, etc..if you take a nuke plant out, you take out everyone in a hundred mile radius.

I am against nuke power...
Thank you. I live about 10 miles from a nuclear reactor. I can see it on the beach. (Thanks for the great view. Not.) There is no route of escape around here if anything goes wrong as this is a rural area with small, narrow roads. It's a great target for terrorists and you know, of course, the 911 terrorists came in through Canada and went down through this area to get to Boston where the planes were waiting.

If I lived any closer I'd be a lot more concerned about the radiation. We hear things.....but things are hushed up. This reactor just got its license renewed again amid a multitude of protests.

Home prices are cheaper here due to the nuclear plant and I live here to save money but I've never trusted nuclear plants. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living