Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times

Advertisements

I do not have any financial interest in the nuclear power or the electrical generation industries beyond paying my power bill. I do have an interest in doing as little damage to the environment and to people as possible while still creating the electrical energy our civilization is depends on. I do not see any correlation between cancer rates and nuclear power even in the US Submarine Service.

A full fuel recycling and breeding nuclear system is effectively a perpetual energy system that does not foul the atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,249,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
#1, Yawn, your posts are like a broken record.
Well, you don't bother to engage in a discussion (which is normal for you people)....

Quote:
#2, I've already addressed your ridiculous remark. Please read the thread.

#3, If we do not learn from experience, we are doomed to repeat it. If my entire family is dropping like flies from cancer (so much so that even at my young age, other than distant family, I don't have a family left), and I battled it as well, only a fool wouldn't learn from that and make changes so that their children have the best chance from not experiencing the same fate. I plan to soon be a mother, if I'm lucky enough to be able to have children, and I can tell you that without a doubt, I will not be raising my children near a nuclear plant or storage facility. Period.
Exactly what experience is that? Hate to sound like a broken record but it seems you can't remember things so that's why I'm reposting this..... Did you read my experience?

Quote:
My family going back generations has had breathing problems, some of the family live in the countryside in upstate NY and others live in cities. What/who should be blamed for our lung problems? Nature? Technology? Air conditioning? Cows? God?
You conveniently blame your families cancer on what I guess to be the non-leakage of nuclear radiation, I blame mine on Nature, Technology, Air conditioning Cows and God.....

I know, it's always easier to blame technology rather than admit your family (like mine) has been passing down defective/damaged genes with each passing generation..... It's whats known as nature culling the herd...

Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,042,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As far as I know cancer is more than likely caused by a failure of the genetically controlled personal immune system than any outside cause excepting some particulates and excess exposure to ionizing radiation. IMHIO the entire paranoia about nuclear power is a product of a decades long propaganda program sponsored by the fossil fuel companies. They saw nuclear power as a threat in the 1960’s and decided a concerted disinformation program to create unfounded fear would effectively eliminate the competition. These people care more for sales than they do for the atmosphere and all the people that have to breath it.
Ah, see, now I get that rationalization, and I respect that. You are correct. That is absolutely the case with most things, and this topic is no exception. Both sides blasting the other to help their own sales. That's why we as a people need to do our due diligence to learn the truth. But that takes work, and if you don't know the topic well, it can be a blur of big words and hocus pocus. I know that's absolutely the case for me when I try to learn about some topics. I eventually go, eh, who cares. lol

In fact, I agree so much, that I'm quite often the devil's advocate on most topics saying something very similar to you (drives my friends batty lol).

I'm also typically the last person to worry about just about anything because I believe life is far too short to worry.

However, I know enough about this topic to know it's not fabrication. Nuclear is dangerous.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Well, you don't bother to engage in a discussion (which is normal for you people)....

Exactly what experience is that? Hate to sound like a broken record but it seems you can't remember things so that's why I'm reposting this..... Did you read my experience?

You conveniently blame your families cancer on what I guess to be the non-leakage of nuclear radiation, I blame mine on Nature, Technology, Air conditioning Cows and God.....

I know, it's always easier to blame technology rather than admit your family (like mine) has been passing down defective/damaged genes with each passing generation..... It's whats known as nature culling the herd...
I am not further engaging you because you seem to have no scientific or medical background. If you can prove that you do, I will give your responses more time. Until then, you're just slowing down the discussion and wasting my time (unless you're willing to compensate me for my time to teach you).

Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I do not have any financial interest in the nuclear power or the electrical generation industries beyond paying my power bill. I do have an interest in doing as little damage to the environment and to people as possible while still creating the electrical energy our civilization is depends on. I do not see any correlation between cancer rates and nuclear power even in the US Submarine Service.

A full fuel recycling and breeding nuclear system is effectively a perpetual energy system that does not foul the atmosphere.
I think you make valid points, and I respect our right to disagree (in a friendly way ), which we clearly do. However, I think you should read more on the topic. Correlation between cancer and nuclear power has absolutely already been made, by independent third parties, not someone with a hand in the debate either way.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,819,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
[i][b] In fact there has never been a death at a US nuclear power plant- zero- nada-none- You need to educate yourself..
I recall three or four guys killed while we were building Zion. My first day on the job a boilermaker was killed. That said though building coal burners was a lot scarier than building nukes. Coal burner outages are far more dangerous too.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,336,187 times
Quote:

Untill THIS happens!!........Fukushima disaster is 'nuclear war without a war'

Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,064,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So based on pure logic if the plant has not been operating nor currently operating for the past few months how can it (using your words) "easily cause 10 million people to get cancer."...??? Plus I don't see anywhere in the article you posted where the NRC said the tube rubbing is or shall cause a "disaster"[/color][/color][/i][/b]
I said "in a disaster could easily cause 10 million people to get cancer." (This is hypothetical. I was assuming that the plant would be operating again.) That would occur from radiation leakage such as happened in the Chernobyl disaster in 1986. Which would leave large parts of LA and San Diego uninhabitable for centuries. Is that really worth the risk?

Do you people seriously think, in this day and age that nuclear power is a good idea? I mean I could have probably bought into the idea of nuclear power in the 1950s. But after all these years of evidence of how dangerous, expensive, and inefficient it is to generate power from nuclear, you all still think it is a good idea?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I said "in a disaster could easily cause 10 million people to get cancer." (This is hypothetical. I was assuming that the plant would be operating again.) That would occur from radiation leakage such as happened in the Chernobyl disaster in 1986. Which would leave large parts of LA and San Diego uninhabitable for centuries. Is that really worth the risk?

Do you people seriously think, in this day and age that nuclear power is a good idea? I mean I could have probably bought into the idea of nuclear power in the 1950s. But after all these years of evidence of how dangerous, expensive, and inefficient it is to generate power from nuclear, you all still think it is a good idea?
C-D really needs to not limit how frequently we can dish out reps. because I'd be repping you again.

What I don't get is why, even after all the evidence proving the lack of safety with nuclear power, that other countries have taken steps in the right direction to do something about it, yet the good ole' money-hungry U.S.A. says, "Nah, we'll take our cash with a side of cancer. Thanks."

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 10-26-2012 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,249,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I said "in a disaster could easily cause 10 million people to get cancer." (This is hypothetical.
Yup, Be afraid, be very very afraid of what might happen at some place some time to something....

Quote:
I was assuming that the plant would be operating again.) That would occur from radiation leakage such as happened in the Chernobyl disaster in 1986. Which would leave large parts of LA and San Diego uninhabitable for centuries. Is that really worth the risk?
Yes, we see from cities like Nagasaki and Hiroshima just how long nuclear irradiated cities remain uninhabitable....

Quote:
Roll your eyes, smack your head and do the hurley curley for all I care.... I see that as of right now you still have no answers for the questions I have posed to you a couple of times concerning nuclear power plants.

Third time around:

France has 78% of their power generated from nuclear plants yet we don't see any abnormalities in their cancer statistics, why is that?

Their first reactor went online in 1964, almost 50 years of non-stop operations and nobody has gotten sick, explanation?

There are over 2.8 million people living within a 50 mile radius of 3 mile island nuclear plant, no sicknesses no increase in cancer rates since 1974... Explain?

Indian Point nuclear reactor on the Hudson river up from NYC, no sicknesses or cancer reported because of it since 1962, explanation?

I thought I made myself quite clear that no I am not scared of nuclear power, I take the FUD articles on nuclear power with the seriousness they deserve... What's it called? A grain of salt?

If the following is unclear to you I can't make it any simpler....

When they exhibit fear about something that might/could/maybe/possibly/chance of happening I think it's quite funny...

I feel pity for people who go around all their lives worrying about what might occur.

Are nuclear reactors dangerous? You betcha...

But most of the following are more dangerous/deadly than nuclear reactors based on death statistics.......

~ automobiles

~ liquor

~ drugs

~ flying

~ taking a cruise

~ eating at your mother-in-laws

~ walking down the street

~ sleeping in your bed

and on and on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living