Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,574,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If I wanted to grow my own feedstock to just power my vehicle for like I said 3hrs at the most on a bad day, how much land would it be, and how much would it cost in seeds? On most days I would be traveling that much. I only want it for myself, and maybe some relatives. Or if I bought the feedstock, what is cheaper, that or petroleum? Thank you for all your help
Ethanol is marginally cheaper.

But the reverse math has sort of put a support price under Corn, so the numbers chase each other very closely.

Doing the math:

1 Bushel = 2.5 gallons. (2.8 gallons if you were industry optimized, but you will not be).

Chicago Board of Trade quote:

Corn

Right now, @ about $7.25 a bushel = $2.90 / gallon for your cost of product.

There is also some equipment cost + some energy cost for cooking and distilling -- but those could be Solar Thermal.

You will be left with some high protein mush suitable to feed cattle or hogs.

================

And you may wish to grow your own Corn?

In the US, with Corn, again, allow for yields from 60 Bushel per acre (low number, non-irrigated) to over 250 Bushel per acre (high number, irrigated).

Handy thing is if it is your own site -- you can do the Fuel on the Farm, and you could not get full CBOT for sellilng your Corn.

So an acre could reasonable give you 60 X 2.5 = 150 gallons of Ethanol to 250 x 2.5 = 625 gallons of Ethanol.

=================

Sugar Beets, Sugar Cane, and Jerusalem Artichokes are other raw source fuel contenders depending on your location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,066,464 times
I would chack on such thigns as sotrage amunts and other local and state laws first.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,648,837 times
Here in the South, we have areas with rapidly producing Kudzu. I have often wondered about using Kudzu as a fuel source but have no clue how to go about this process.

I appreciate the info that folks have shared - I am off to research the subject further!

Edited to add: I found this interesting article on Kudzu use - and the article suggests that if the USA would make use of kudzu as a fuel, it could mean production of about 8% of the nation's fuel needs (that % was from 2006 figures).

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/0...l-ethanol.html

Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,930,100 times
Default Kudzu

I suggest harvesting, drying, pelletizing, bagging and burning in pellet stoves might work. After Kudzu is mostly cellulose and water just like any other woody product. One problem would be keeping the product dry so the stuff does not start growing again.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,071,602 times
Now is the reason for biofuel's mileage because our cars are not optimal for biofuels? Like if we made the cars lighter, geared them differently, or added a nitrous oxide system, would it allow for better mileage, and therefore use less fuel to travel even further?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,972,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Now is the reason for biofuel's mileage because our cars are not optimal for biofuels? Like if we made the cars lighter, geared them differently, or added a nitrous oxide system, would it allow for better mileage, and therefore use less fuel to travel even further?
For ethanol at least, the only real optimizations necessary would be adjusting the fuel/air mixture and timing because the burn dynamics are different. You won't get exactly the same mpg as gasoline, but running 100% ethanol (or methanol) will be fairly close.

However, as long as we have blended fuels and flex-fuel vehicles, neither fuels are able to reach their fully optimized potential.

Lightening the curb weight and adjusting the gear ratio certainly wouldn't hurt, regardless of fuel type. Gearing really is application specific... the gear ratio for a high-torque utility tractor would be completely different than a high-speed commuting car. This is why pickup trucks tend to get bad mpg, because they are trying to deliver a little of both and not fully optimized to either. NOS isn't really going to help you get better mpg, since it is a fuel in itself (which you can't make at home)... you'd really just be trading fuels.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:15 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,876,334 times
how about Instead of using your ethanol for a car how about in a generator, can you get a ethanol optimized generator? to charge a battery bank.

bill

Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,972,257 times
Yes, you could use ethanol or methanol in any 4-stroke gasoline combustion engine that has been optimized for alcohol... generators, lawnmowers, woodchippers, woodsplitters, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. So far, the only thing we haven't been able to figure out is 2-stroke (chainsaws & weedwhackers) since those engines require the lubricant to be added in the fuel, and alcohol dissolves most lubricants.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,051,526 times
Good luck getting it to pass local emissions.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,895,671 times
Can you imagine how efficient a modern steam engine could be today if it had 100+ years of engineering improvements? Steam engines were too dangerous and bulky in the late 18oos but with the new materials we have today it may have a future in this century.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living