Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,554,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I don't think zero waste is achievable but I would like to see less waste simply because it means taxpayers have to spend less money building new landfills plus there is still value to be had recycling a lot of that waste.
I think it is achieveable because there's precedent. Right now, only 1% of all Swedish waste goes into landfills, they have so little waste and such high composting and recycling that they're actually importing Norway's garbage to meet their demand for trash, which they burn to heat their homes in winter:

Sweden wants Norway's trash (and lots of it)

Californians are no less capable than Swedes, with enough political will and education I'm sure that California to can approach zero waste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,738,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think it is achieveable because there's precedent. Right now, only 1% of all Swedish waste goes into landfills, they have so little waste and such high composting and recycling that they're actually importing Norway's garbage to meet their demand for trash, which they burn to heat their homes in winter:

Californians are no less capable than Swedes, with enough political will and education I'm sure that California to can approach zero waste
Very interesting. And my concerns are somewhat alleviated.

Quote:
Sweden's strict standards limit emissions from waste incineration and most emissions have fallen considerably because of technical development and better waste sorting.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-10-sweden-norway-trash-lots.html#jCp
MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 01-29-2013 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: going off topic

Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
I don't think zero waste is achievable but I would like to see less waste simply because it means taxpayers have to spend less money building new landfills plus there is still value to be had recycling a lot of that waste.
This is about where I am at...^ (Achievable YET)

Yes, Zero waste sounds great.... It is a goal to reach for.... IMO it needs to be grass roots though... It is up to consumers to drive it with their purchasing dollars..... Yes government can nudge things in the right direction via education for people and tax incentive for companies... But still the people have to take the lead..

Old 02-04-2013, 07:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,460,489 times
Zero waste = ye olde sloppe bucket, 800AD.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,931,142 times
'Night soil' is still widely used around the world ... esp. in China ... For fertilizing. There is some danger with it as handled primitively. However, thermophilic composting does the trick, can be done by anyone with even a small yard, presents no dangers or stink, produces brilliant soil. Saves huge quantities of water (does California have a water problem?) and would save a TON of taxpayer money otherwise spent on treatment. For a primer may I recommend:
The Humanure Handbook - Center of the Humanure Universe

Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,880,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Kind of gives a new meaning for hippie ****.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,926,680 times
I saw a video on that a while back on youtube and frankly it just sounds way to extremist to me. If people want to treat human feces then the cheapest, most efficient, and most standardized way to do it is at a waste water processing facility. Believe it or not after the whole treatment and bio-remediation process is complete they still end up with a whole lot of organic matter which has been rendered safe and which farmers do use to fertilize their fields right here in America. The process can be completed in a couple of days which is much faster than trying to compost human feces in your backyard for a year.

It's safer, cleaner, cheaper, and faster.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,931,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Kind of gives a new meaning for hippie ****.
S*** is s***, in my experience. Whether hippie or banker or politician or farmer in origin.

Quote:
I saw a video on that a while back on youtube and frankly it just sounds way to extremist to me. If people want to treat human feces then the cheapest, most efficient, and most standardized way to do it is at a waste water processing facility. Believe it or not after the whole treatment and bio-remediation process is complete they still end up with a whole lot of organic matter which has been rendered safe and which farmers do use to fertilize their fields right here in America. The process can be completed in a couple of days which is much faster than trying to compost human feces in your backyard for a year.

It's safer, cleaner, cheaper, and faster.
I understand that the vast majority of Americans have become solidly fecal-phobic over the past century or so. And I don't expect that will change. Nor do I particularly promote self fecal composting - because I don't believe many people will accept it. But you are wrong to assert that "treating" fecal matter is "cheapest and most efficient" in today's wastewater facilities.

Another system that has been a topic of serious study is curbside collection of fecal output, much as with trash and recycling today -- for large-scale managed thermophilic composting.

In any case, wastewater sewage systems -- that is, the use of large quantities of water to flush away what we find too messy to personally deal with -- is destined to become an historical relic ... sooner than you might imagine. Composting and incinerating toilets of today are precursors of tomorrow's changes.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,908,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post

I'm pretty sure burning trash does not qualify as zero waste...

Old 02-05-2013, 05:36 PM

208 posts, read 331,573 times
"Zero Waste"
Start with this thread and delete it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living