Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,253,883 times

Advertisements

My husband has started recycling other people's garbage. Now, he has always been inclined to bring things home. The most dreaded words that come out of his mouth are "Look what someone threw away". All of a sudden he is picking up big hunks of metal & taking them to the recyclers. At the moment he is outside disassembling an air handler and a lawn mower and a radiator. Part of me is entertained by this, part of me thinks it is a great thing to take these things to be recycled, and part of me is mortified. We are driving along and all of a sudden he stops to go poke through a dumpster.

Anyone else have a significant other like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,022,891 times
I had a trash picker - I ended up divoring him

Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I had a trash picker - I ended up divoring him
Was yours a 3rd generation dumpster diver?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:09 PM

940 posts, read 1,368,404 times
My husband started doing this years ago then he got my son into in!! I put the brakes on and told them NO WAY!! Till this I call the Sandford and Son!!! LOL

Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,612,974 times
ROFL My wife would our household dumpster diver. But she thinks she can fix anything into something artistic and enhance our decor. I have gotten well versed at hauling off her art after a few months.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,367,704 times
Oh Lordy Evey, I can completely sympathise with you. My hubster is not the problem, although I think if it was not for me being an organizing junkie he would be. My wonderful father-in-law keeps everything and that is partly due to the fact that is wife is a horder and his father was a major "recycler." I wish I could photos of his Pop's yard before he sadly passed. There were cars, stoves, wood burners and everything else you could possibly imagine. The main part of the house (pretty neat when you think about it) was a railroad car!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:12 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,774,048 times
My husband was a garbage man in an affluent area from about our second yr. of marriage until our 12th yr of marraige. He brought home all kinds of goodies. What we didn't want, we had a few yard sales during the summer. Now he is a truck driver, making deliveries down back alley's where the dumsters are.
YES! He is a dumpster digger! But! In his defense, he does bring home some good stuff. He frequents CVS, where they will throw out stuff that will soon expire or has expired recenty, like film, that is still perfectly good. Also, anything returned that the box or package is ripped goes into the dumpster. Perfectly good brand new items.
Another one is Sally's Beauty Supply...lots of hair dryers, curling irons and straighteners which usually have the power cord snipped which he repairs. Also discontinued products like hair dyes and nail polish colors. So, you see, me and the 2 daughters will keep him!

Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM

Well, it certainly is nice to know that I am not the only one! At least he is now doing it with an eye towards recycling. He made a run yesterday and brought home just over $50 in cash. Yesterday was apparently "steel" day. He is working on "aluminum & copper day". Steel pays a whopping six cents a pound.... I was thinking I would not mess with it for six cents, but hey, $50 is $50.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:48 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,141,356 times
lol evey
I have a neighbor that loves garbage day
At first I would come home and find things that she thought I could use by my front door.
Her favorite expression is "you can paint it and use it as a plant stand, plant holder etc."
I finally got her to stop leaving me these little surprises so now she calls "karla the house around the corner has a perfectly good ......... that you might be able to use"
I finally started telling her that hubby said I can't bring anymore stuff into the house.

lol she has even gone through my trash and said "why are you throwing that out a bit of paint....."

Old 10-25-2007, 09:23 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,380,932 times
Back when the Food Lion was open on Volunteer Pkwy in Bristol, a Dumpster Bunny must have fallen asleep and the truck actually pick the dumpster up and dumped him, the news said he kept yelling...hep me hep me until someone heard him over the loudness. Food Lion pad locked its dumpsters after that...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living