Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,986,437 times

Advertisements

Friday night high school football - notoriously cold and often rainy. When my sons were young and going to the games, I used to tell them to take a large plastic garbage bag along. If the bleachers were wet, it was something waterproof to sit on. If the weather started after the game began, they could put it on like a poncho. (We cut a small hole in the bottom of the bag) They usually resisted my suggestion until one night when it was so cold, the bag was put into play and got rave reviews, and lots of "why didn't we think of that?" from the other fans in the frigid bleachers.

In the Spring, when planting the garden, the bag could be slit and used as a barrier to keep the weeds down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,985,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I tried to order this rain poncho and it isn't available in the United States because of some prohibition on European potato seeds.

Okay, fine. But why doesn't the United States of America have its own, homegrown biodegradable rain poncho manufactured right here in the U.S.A???

We can't make a flimsy toxic-free, waterproof sack to put over us when it rains? Seriously??? We're crawling with potatoes!!!
Think about it. Forget the prohibition or whatever on euro potato seeds. Who wants a biodegradable poncho? I can see biodegradable underwear but a poncho? I don't want to discard the poncho or use it only once, I need it stowed so that it is ready when I need to use it.

Already being made for very little money are ponchos that are super lightweight, strong and last a long time. They are made from Tyvex. A Tyvex poncho can fold up so small it can fit in your back pocket. Then you can use it for a lot of things.

Since we're in the Green Living section, why pay for something with a very limited use span? That isn't being Green, it is wasting resources.

Just because something is biodegradable doesn't mean it's green. That doesn't mean it works well either.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM

24,671 posts, read 17,410,458 times
Why don't we have all kinds of things that could save on waste.
When touring Ireland we needed windshield washing fluid so we asked the guy at the station where it was and paid for it. We went out and couldn't find it? Turns out it was a concentrate in a teeny bottle that you add water to yourself. Of course in America we have the one gallon plastic jugs many of which go right into the trash at the point of purchase.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,969,727 times
I have a hemp jacket and cotton duster in "duck canvas" that I waxed for additional waterproofing.

For lightweight packable rain gear, I still prefer nylon... when it finally wears out, it composts just fine in my mushroom patch in 2-3 year.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,800,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I have a hemp jacket and cotton duster in "duck canvas" that I waxed for additional waterproofing.

For lightweight packable rain gear, I still prefer nylon... when it finally wears out, it composts just fine in my mushroom patch in 2-3 year.
I went with a nylon poncho. It folds up real small and has none of that plastic smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living