Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:36 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The economics of solar have been poor. US solar firms have folded one by one. Now a Chinese solar firm going under. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/bu...anted=all&_r=0
Actually the growth in solar is explosive, but as in many high growth businesses there are a lot of firms that can't keep up and fail. Who would call the personal computer industry a failure, but there are scores of firms that have dropped out along the way -- IBM, Compaq, Digital, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actually the growth in solar is explosive, but as in many high growth businesses there are a lot of firms that can't keep up and fail. Who would call the personal computer industry a failure, but there are scores of firms that have dropped out along the way -- IBM, Compaq, Digital, etc.
Who are the PV solar companies experiencing explosive growth. I Googled but didn't find them, though my search terms may have been faulty.

I still haven't seen anyone address the problem with the economics of solar at high adoption rates...

Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Who are the PV solar companies experiencing explosive growth. I Googled but didn't find them, though my search terms may have been faulty.

I still haven't seen anyone address the problem with the economics of solar at high adoption rates...
Table 10.8 Photovoltaic Cell and Module Shipments by Type, Trade, and Prices, 1982-2010

Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
See my earlier post on the subject.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
See my earlier post on the subject.
Maybe I'm dense.
  • You highlighted that HVAC electrical demand correlates with PV solar generation, after I mentioned HVAC. But there are lots of other demand sources other than HVAC.
  • You mentioned the sun shines somewhere, so the grid approach will help, and I am sure that's true. But that doesn't really help at night unless it's a global energy grid. I don't know if that's possible, but it would have to be relatively costly.
  • You also mentioned the excess capacity that power plant already have, that they can adapt to varying demand. I'm not sure that applies, but I'm probably missing something.
The fundamental question again, if all homeowners install solar (that on average can provide all their electrical needs when optimal conditions exist) at significant equipment costs, the intermittent nature of solar will mean we still have to have the same power plants/distribution systems and the personnel to run it all - all solar does is reduce power plant fuel needs. So homeowners save some power plant fuel, offset by the solar equipment a costs, and still have to pay full cost for the power plant/distributon equipment and labor even though they use same sporadically.

Believe me I want to believe alternative energy sources can help, but the economics don't seem to scale up well unless batteries improve very dramatically or homeowners accept brown/black outs as needed.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM

No one is suggesting 100% solar. Your proposition is what is called a straw man.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 AM

I give up...no one will/can answer the original question I guess.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I give up...no one will/can answer the original question I guess.
Your assumption is that people who adopt solar will use solar for 100% of their needs. That's a fatal conceptual error for grid connected solar.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
how much land space would be required for the panels if a decent sized, say 50,000 person city, went entirely solar?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
how much land space would be required for the panels if a decent sized, say 50,000 person city, went entirely solar?
On the roofs of buildings, not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living