Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,232,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So in you versus the AAAS we should believe you about science?
Now pay attention, this is how you post copying from another source and identifying where the source is:

Quote:
Scientists have done what they are supposed to do: conduct new experiments, make new measurements and devise better answers. Using the latest technology to broaden their observations new data shows the old estimates of sea-level rise due to glacial melting are off by 50%. The bungled estimates for melting in the Himalaya are exposed as total fabrications. Science works, but there is no easy defense against lazy or biased scientists who produce “facts” that support a political agenda. That is why it is best to remain skeptical of claims of impending disaster backed by weak minded consensus arguments.
NASA Satellite Debunks Melting Glacier Myth | The Resilient Earth

BTW, good deflection...

Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,232,523 times
Some Asian glaciers 'putting on mass'
Quote:
Some glaciers on Asia's Karakoram mountains are defying the global trend and getting thicker, say researchers.

A French team used satellite data to show that glaciers in part of the Karakoram range, to the west of the Himalayan region, are putting on mass.
BBC News - Some Asian glaciers 'putting on mass'

Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 PM

105 posts, read 130,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Some Asian glaciers.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 PM

33,579 posts, read 37,212,408 times
Quote:

Did you even read the page you linked to? From your link...

A French team used satellite data to show that glaciers in part of the Karakoram range, to the west of the Himalayan region, are putting on mass.

The reason is unclear, as glaciers in other parts of the Himalayas are losing mass - which also is the global trend.

I counter your Asian glaciers with others around the world...

USGS Fact Sheet 2009?3046: Fifty-Year Record of Glacier Change Reveals Shifting Climate in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, USA

Canadian glaciers are melting fast | Climate News Network

EGU - News & Press - Unprecedented glacier melting in the Andes blamed on climate change

TCD - Abstract - Pine Island Glacier ice shelf melt distributed at kilometre scales

Content : Global warming cause of glacial melting and glacial floods

Tibetan glaciers rapidly melting › News in Science (ABC Science)

Greenland's isolated glaciers melting quickly - MSNBC: Science | e! Science News

I have no idea why you nay-sayers continue to ignore the science....Is there a problem with how you think or what....Denial is almost like a cult with you people.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,277,635 times
^^ You missed one: Glacier National Park is expected to have no functional glaciers left by 2030.

Glaciers / Glacial Features - Glacier National Park

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,013,294 times
Warming will have complex impacts of precipitation. In some areas precipitation will increase so it's quite reasonable to find some glaciers increasing in size. This could be true in Antarctica, which is really a cold desert.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:37 AM

568 posts, read 963,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
So in you versus the AAAS we should believe you about science?
Baaaahaaaaa...I love it.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 AM

568 posts, read 963,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Did you even read the page you linked to? From your link...

The reason is unclear, as glaciers in other parts of the Himalayas are losing mass - which also is the global trend.

I counter your Asian glaciers with others around the world...

USGS Fact Sheet 2009?3046: Fifty-Year Record of Glacier Change Reveals Shifting Climate in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, USA

Canadian glaciers are melting fast | Climate News Network

EGU - News & Press - Unprecedented glacier melting in the Andes blamed on climate change

TCD - Abstract - Pine Island Glacier ice shelf melt distributed at kilometre scales

Content : Global warming cause of glacial melting and glacial floods

Tibetan glaciers rapidly melting › News in Science (ABC Science)

Greenland's isolated glaciers melting quickly - MSNBC: Science | e! Science News

I have no idea why you nay-sayers continue to ignore the science....Is there a problem with how you think or what....Denial is almost like a cult with you people.
And you said it so well!!!! But he will have to have the last word....

Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,013,294 times
Quote:
Now pay attention, this is how you post copying from another source and identifying where the source is:

NASA Satellite Debunks Melting Glacier Myth | The Resilient Earth

BTW, good deflection...
Good, now look up the AAAS position of climate change. It could be a growth opportunity for you.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
I have been observing climate change for several decades. We are now growing mid Atlantic region fruit trees in New Hampshire among other warmer winter crops. I have concluded this part of the world is getting warmer.

I have also read a great many "climate" studies that say the same thing. I just read one book that presented evidence that mankind has been influencing climate for the last 8 to 10,000 years. Just cutting forests and planting grains in the cleared lands reduces carbon sequestration and increases the CO2 level in the atmosphere. Ice core analysis backs up this observation. Yes, I believe we are in a warm period and we are responsible for the extension of this interglacial warm period.

We as humans should be damn glad we did. If you look at the ice core temperatures for the last 400,000 years you will notice the times the climate was as warm as or warmer only lasted a few centuries to a couple of millennia at most. Then the climate rapidly slid into another Ice Age with temperatures and sea levels way below the current values. If past trends indicate the future in an oscillating system we should be well into the deep freeze with glaciers covering much of the Northern Hemisphere. We are not because human activities have delayed the onset of the next cold for an unknown amount of time. So enjoy what we have and be ready to open a snow blower store in Puerto Rico.

FWIW – I see no reason to stop using carbon based energy until we build a nuclear energy based economy with full fuel breeding and recycle. Then, as the Carbon is eventfully sequestered, our descendants will have to figure out how to keep the ice from coming back. It looks like an interesting future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living