Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:19 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

Angel Heights where I'm living temporarily is a relatively new typical community in upstate NY, 3 miles from Oneonta (not exactly a booming metropolis). Perfect lawns, perfect houses, perfect pets, prefect SUVs, perfect kids, perfectly boring. Esthetics aside in an age of global warming, oil depletion, constantly increasing energy prices these sidewalk free/car-centered energy inefficient communities are a crime against the environment and humanity. We're headed for an environmental and energy disaster like a runaway freight train yet people keep building houses without the slightest regard for energy efficiency with about as much awareness of their impending fate as the dull witted dinosaurs gazing at the meteorite that would wipe them out. These communities may be pretty in a sterile Disneyland kind of way but are guaranteeing continuing resource wars, higher energy costs, increasing pollution and climate change. Don't be one of the dinosaurs. Educate yourself:
Free Solar Panels, Solar Heating System and Solar Water Heating System by Knowledgepublications.com
SOLAR TODAY - Home (broken link)
Home Power Magazine: Solar | Wind | Hydro | Design | Build
Solar San Antonio | Capturing the Power (http://www.solarsanantonio.org/index.html - broken link)
NewWaveCars.com - Alternative Cars, Alternative Fuel Cars, Hybrid Cars, Hydrogen Cars, Fuel Cells

This house is perfectly oriented east-west for FREE solar gain. Instead of adding a sunroom and solar water heater that would provide FREE heat in the winter and a winter play area & hot water year round the owners recently chose to spend the ~$15k to add a basically useless decorative porch. Like most people they chose superficial fashion over function. What kind of reptile-like stupidity is this?

Storm clouds on the horizon for Bedford Wives.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:23 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
people sure do have huge lots there.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
people sure do have huge lots there.
I think that's the biggest waste of space, not the single-family detached homes themselves.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:00 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Oh man, that isn't even half as bad as it could be. It would have been actually been an acceptable area had they not hacked all the trees. You would think that the people who live that far into the countryside would at least want to experience some quasi-nature thingy. Grass really doesn't help in that arena.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:57 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
The setback must be 25'. Septic may have something to do with it. There are lawns out here 4x the size.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I can understand why someone would want to live out in the woods ... but why cut own all the trees? My parents moved out into some rural subdivision to what once seemed out in the middle of nowhere ... but really less than 40 miles from Chicago (but my dad works from home and my mom works less than 3 miles away the house, so they aren't mega commuters), but where they moved is very, very wooded, my parents have at least 25 trees in their yard, if not more, meaning their 'yard' consists mostly of native groundcover and wildflowers, and it is so shaded the grass only gets mowed 2x a year. Granted, their community has gone from rural to ex-urban sprawl in the past 20 years (when they moved there, they were looking for rural), but that little subdivision of theirs seemed to do it right, trees were not cut down, and houses are not uniform in the least.

I have no interest in mocking those who do not wish to live in an urban environment (and I say this as one who doesn't own a car and takes the subway to work). That being said, unsustainable sprawl will cost us, dearly, I'm convinced of it, and I would very much like to see limits placed on that sort of development.

But I do feel there is a right way to do the burbs ... it isn't a zero sum game (meaning either it is urban or rural, and those is the only choices).

Old 11-08-2007, 10:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
that looks like a nice little town, I wish I could visit.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times
No sidewalks.. real nice

Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
I find those pictures beautiful... you won't see houses with yards and trees like that anywhere in Arizona.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I find those pictures beautiful... you won't see houses with yards and trees like that anywhere in Arizona.
... as you shouldn't, people who try to keep lawns in the middle of the desert need a good smack upside the head.

It is just as stupid an act as it would be if I decided to try and grow palm trees in the northern Midwest, just because you like a certain kind of foliage doesn't mean it has a place in your yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living