Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,875 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I want to start an organic fiber farm, but my mom has alot of health issues and needs to be in a city so she can use public transit, and have access to better healthcare. She and I want to start a small organic fiber farm growing cashmere and angora goats, angora rabbits, and alpaca. I am a dedicated fiber artist and animal lover and mom has been so sick and heartbroken over being sick and having dreams she wants to fulfill, I believe that the best medicine is living out her dreams while getting the care she needs to get better.

I know there are some cities that allow farm animals, but after doing a google search all I could find was a bunch of town hall meeting discussing it but no defintive lists or suggestions on places to live.

I thought I would post this in the green section cuz ya'll would prolly know more than anyone else.

Thanks in advance,

Jojo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 02:14 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
I can't speak for Georgia specifically, but I suspect that you will have some difficulty with the larger animals (goats, alpacas) inside city limits.

I know some cities (such as Seattle) now allow a couple of goats for milk, as well as chickens (minus the roosters), but I'm not sure about fiber goats and/or alpacas.

I suspect your best bet would be to focus on rabbits.

I'm not sure what agency (or agencies) would best be able to answer your questions; I have always lived "rural," where having the animals that I have wanted to have has never been an issue.

As a fellow animal lover, I hope the best for you and your mom and that you can find a way to make your mom's dreams come true (and yours). I don't know what I would do if I had to give up my beloved goats.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I know Minneapolis allows chickens. I'd have to look up if there's any other animals permitted under the recent law. We have a neighbor down the block who has laying hens and gives us 18 organic eggs now and then.

From the city government website, it looks like permits are issued for poultry and honeybees.

Last edited by Beenhere4ever; 08-10-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The City of Oakland, California, allows farm animals. I suppose the kind of real estate you'd need for that would be unaffordable to you, but they allow it. Walnut Creek and I think Lafayette, in the Bay Area, allow farm animals. Various towns in NM do; Santa Fe, Taos, etc. There's at least one llama farm outside Santa Fe already.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The City of Oakland, California, allows farm animals. I suppose the kind of real estate you'd need for that would be unaffordable to you, but they allow it. Walnut Creek and I think Lafayette, in the Bay Area, allow farm animals. Various towns in NM do; Santa Fe, Taos, etc. There's at least one llama farm outside Santa Fe already.
All cities have farms outside. Farms come right up to the border in Portland Oregon. INSIDE a medium sized city is not as common. In Minneapolis, they don't allow bigger animals. In Dishman WA, my aunt had adopted burros on her land.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
All cities have farms outside. Farms come right up to the border in Portland Oregon. INSIDE a medium sized city is not as common. In Minneapolis, they don't allow bigger animals. In Dishman WA, my aunt had adopted burros on her land.
Several cities in the Bay Area allow big farm animals.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Several cities in the Bay Area allow big farm animals.
The population in these cities?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
I live in far northern California on the coast in Humboldt county, the town I live in, McKinleyville is approaching 19,000 people, so we are not medium, but no town in Humboldt county is medium in size. Eureka is the largest town and it is only 28,000. But McKinleyville is still unincorporated and pretty much all farm animals are allowed. I have chickens and rabbits besides dogs, cats, parakeets, a parrot and cockatiels. My neighbor across the street has chickens, two houses away they have geese and many more have chickens at least. One neighbor down the street alternates between raising a few goats or a few steer for meat. I have neighbors with horses too and there is a dairy ranch down the block. I would not be surprised if there were more cows in the county then people. Every once in a while two men walk their yaks down the trail past my house from the neighboring town. The motto for our town is Welcome to McKinleyville, where horses have the right of way.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The motto for our town is Welcome to McKinleyville, where horses have the right of way.
Shouldn't that be "right of......neigh?"

Hehe...........

Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Dreams are fine, but reality has a way of wedging itself in there. Goats can smell. The male perfume is not something someone with health issues wants to be around. Rabbits are notoriously difficult to keep healthy. Larger animals can kick and wound. All animals require some money to keep them fed and healthy AND well kept farm animals require care EVERY SINGLE DAY. No exceptions. A budget that requires public transportation is not a sanguine start to an organic farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living