Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 PM

324 posts, read 883,364 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing a lot of cleaning products for the home that are supposed to be more environmentally friendly and I was wondering if anyone has used any of them. I have made a lot of changes to try and be greener (reusable grocery bags, water conservation, unplugging appliances not in use, etc), but haven't tried too many of the new "green" cleaners. The only one I've tried, which I love, is the Pure Essentials line with Tide, Downey, and Bounce. They have great cleaning power and smell great, so I'm wondering if all green products are as good. Thoughts and suggestions? Is anyone doing anything to be more environmentally friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:57 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
I use white vinegar and baking soda for most cleaning. Add a little borax for some things, like laundry and the oxygen bleach for stains. Citric acid is very good at removing rust stains. It's cheap, doesn't bother my lungs, and they work great. Baking soda in hot water and a soak will remove most burned on problems.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM

687 posts, read 3,251,472 times
I use several of the Shaklee products and love them. Oprah has featured them a couple times and for good reason. My friend is a distributor and I buy them through her.

www.shaklee.com

The Basic H2 is fantastic, as is the Scour Off. I've tried the laundry concentrate also and really like it. I don't think the dishwasher detergent is great, however.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,123 times
I agree with all of the above. Vinegar cleans most everything, but the shaklee products are nice too. The advantage of vinegar is that is cheaper. You can also google to find more specific recipes for everything from homemade laundry soap to toilet bowl cleaner. You know exactly what is in it and you can even add your favorite essential oils to scent the products you make. My favorite "green" item to make is to take a foamy bottle (you can buy them or just re-use one you have emptied), add some Dr. Bronner's lavender castile soap (Dr Bronner's Magic Soaps - Organic Fair Trade Soap) and some water to make my own hand soap. I love that it doesn't have the yucky anti-bacterial stuff in it and it smells good. It is also handy to keep for diaper changes (I use cloth diapers and wipes) and for general spot cleaning.

Sorry, I rambled, one of my favorite subjects!

HTH!

Last edited by koofie; 11-13-2007 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: spelling <grin>

Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 AM

324 posts, read 883,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I use white vinegar and baking soda for most cleaning. Add a little borax for some things, like laundry and the oxygen bleach for stains. Citric acid is very good at removing rust stains. It's cheap, doesn't bother my lungs, and they work great. Baking soda in hot water and a soak will remove most burned on problems.
That is good to know about the vinegar and baking soda. My mom always used store bought products for cleaning, so I guess I never thought about "home remedies." The Pure Essentials Tide has baking soda in it, so maybe that is what makes it so effective in cleaning. This is all great information to have, thanks so much everyone! I hope this thread keeps going and people add other great ideas

Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,283,607 times
My wife uses baking soda and vinegar mix as well... and besides the smell seems to do alright. She also likes the Method line of cleaning products at Target... which is suppose to be green too?

-chuck22b

Old 03-19-2008, 01:41 PM

182 posts, read 450,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I've been noticing a lot of cleaning products for the home that are supposed to be more environmentally friendly and I was wondering if anyone has used any of them. I have made a lot of changes to try and be greener (reusable grocery bags, water conservation, unplugging appliances not in use, etc), but haven't tried too many of the new "green" cleaners. The only one I've tried, which I love, is the Pure Essentials line with Tide, Downey, and Bounce. They have great cleaning power and smell great, so I'm wondering if all green products are as good. Thoughts and suggestions? Is anyone doing anything to be more environmentally friendly?
It is just fun to try new ones. I have tried so many I can't even tell you. I would say I love Mrs. Myers and Seventh Generation the best but Target has a good Method line as well. Now I don't know about the Pure Essentials line but I am a little skeptical of mainstream companies in the environmental business but I hear Clorox has put a nice line out for WalMart. Baking Soda really is my favorite

Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I also use borax in my laundry. Also can use it with baking powder as a carpet freshener. Tried it as a surface cleaner but causes too much buildup and streaking. Have tried Melaleuca (tea tree oil) products in the past and really like them and the fresh smell.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
I was hesitant to switch my home over to green products because while I completely believed it was a great idea, I noticed that the green products in my area are expensive. The more I learned though about the harmful chemicals in cleaning products, even toothpaste!!, the more interested I became. Luckily a friend of mine contacted me about the Melaleuca products and I've loved them....both the price and the performance. In our area we only have two grocery stores and a Wal-Mart. While I loved some of the Method products that Target carries, the nearest one is 90 miles away!

lilypad, do you just mix equal parts borax and baking powder for the carpet freshener? I'd like to try that!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Yes, equal parts. Also can put some talc or other nice smelling powder in with it (I used baby powder).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living