Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Vegas
1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
Reputation: 1789

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]So? Who cares? It's all for the good of Mother Earth. Right?[/SIZE]


[SIZE=3][/SIZE]


[SIZE=3]I picked up the following on Breitbart. But, as most of the lefties hate that site, I thought I'd give it to you from the original.[/SIZE]


[SIZE=3]Two months ago, 34 birds were found dead or injured on the site of the Ivanpah solar plant owned by BrightSource Energy in east San Bernardino County, California. Almost half suffered from singed feathers after running afoul of the plant’s reflected beams of sunlight, according to a report from The Desert Sun. This was not an isolated incident: another 19 were found dead at the 500-megawatt Desert Sunlight plant, which is also located in California.[/SIZE]


[SIZE=3]Read more @ Solar Plants Are Burning Birds' Wings | Motherboard[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Reputation: 6606
simple fix really, just install nets so the birds cant get inside the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM
 
15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Reputation: 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
simple fix really, just install nets so the birds cant get inside the area.
Thirty four birds were found dead with their wings singed... But did they die because their wings were fried or was it something else? Did the thirty four birds die in a single day or over the course of weeks/months? The original article doesn't go into that. Lets not investigate why/how/when, lets just blame it on technology... Hmmm now where have I heard that before?

I have driven by this installation a few times, you have no idea just how immense those collector towers are and the area the solar mirrors take up.

The tower shown in the picture is just one of three towers spread out across a huge area.

I'd estimate the entire area is at least 6 square miles...

To absolutely positively make sure no birds could enter that area the nets would have to be 2,000 feet high and surround maybe 36-40 square miles..

How many billions of dollars would it take to protect a couple of birds at this one location? I'd wager more birds die flying into mirrored buildings than got singed by this array, but the anti-technology crowd is too dumb to recognize that fact...

Last edited by plwhit; 11-14-2013 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Reputation: 10759
It's unfortunate, to be sure, but it's such a minor problem in the grand scheme of things compared to the benefits of replacing fossil fuel consumption, that it's truly a wonder that anyone would even bother to post the story unless they had an axe to grind.

This is a solar energy farm where a few birds were accidentally killed. Had this been a different kind of farm, say a sunflower farm, perhaps 100s of birds would be deliberately killed to prevent damage to the crop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2013, 01:03 PM
 
Location: DC
6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Reputation: 3572
Serve them for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2013, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Reputation: 10759
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Serve them for dinner.
Mmmmmmm... KSFC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Reputation: 6116
I wonder how many birds are killed by flying in front of car going down the highway. How many birds are killed by people's pet cats? How many are fried from electrical wires?...
How do those numbers compare?
34 seems like a non-issue to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 PM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Thirty four birds were found dead with their wings singed... But did they die because their wings were fried or was it something else? Did the thirty four birds die in a single day or over the course of weeks/months? The original article doesn't go into that. Lets not investigate why/how/when, lets just blame it on technology... Hmmm now where have I heard that before?

I have driven by this installation a few times, you have no idea just how immense those collector towers are and the area the solar mirrors take up.

The tower shown in the picture is just one of three towers spread out across a huge area.

I'd estimate the entire area is at least 6 square miles...

To absolutely positively make sure no birds could enter that area the nets would have to be 2,000 feet high and surround maybe 36-40 square miles..

How many billions of dollars would it take to protect a couple of birds at this one location? I'd wager more birds die flying into mirrored buildings than got singed by this array, but the anti-technology crowd is too dumb to recognize that fact...
the tech is 2000 ft high? looks more like 3-5 feet high, all you would need to do is place nets 1-2 ft over them so the birds dont sit on the surface of them and get injured

simple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2013, 05:17 PM
 
Location: DC
6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Reputation: 3572
By and large the population of birds is determined by the food supply, not predation or accidental death. There are exception -- DDT was one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM
 
15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Reputation: 7693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
the tech is 2000 ft high? looks more like 3-5 feet high, all you would need to do is place nets 1-2 ft over them so the birds dont sit on the surface of them and get injured

simple
With this post your total ignorance concerning solar arrays is very obvious...

Put on your reading glasses and go back and reread my post please.

Noting your ignorance on this particular topic I went looking for FACTS rather than the rabid blubbering anti-technology propaganda and lo and behold after a whopping 5 second Internet search I came across this:

Ivanpah Solar Power Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suggest you read it to become literate on this subject...




Last edited by plwhit; 11-18-2013 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top