Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,624,534 times

Advertisements

I wish this forum weren't full of doubts and questions of "if" and "is" (is X,Y,Z really worth it???). I wish this forum were full of IDEAS and INSPIRATION of how. The sustainability projects people are involved in, brainstorming for solutions... that sort of thing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,556,680 times
Ya, I use to come to this forum for encouragement on my green living ventures but found out early on it's just a green living bashing forum. It's unfortunate that a few people against green living can ruin it for so many. There are plenty of great sites for this that I've found instead. Just search the net. CD is great for a lot of things, but Green Living sort of failed.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:33 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,475,092 times
I hope you both stick around - I am here as well for green ideas and help. I do find myself at times having to defend "green" ideas though. It is what comes with having an open forum with a bunch of other topics to discuss besides green living.

We won't all agree on things, but that is why we discuss. I know that some of my original thoughts have been changed by the discussions. And of course the directing to reference material that illustrates why my thoughts were incorrect.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM

4,500 posts, read 6,744,916 times
Rebuild/reclaim our cities. Commit to 21st-Century power, building, and transportation systems. Promote local sourcing of healthy natural food and conservation and preservation of water and other invaluable natural resources. Plenty of opportunity for dignified work. Green living and new urbanism are key components. However, real action needs to take place. If real change is to occur people will have to get out from behind their electronic devices and organize and be thoughtful to affect change. It's not enough to just tweet, share, blog on social media. People need to become involved in the political, public, and private discussions and organizations and appropriately inform and sell the general public on the vision.

North Adams, Massachusetts is a place that is making incremental changes and taking action. I've attended some of the green living seminars at MCLA. A great opportunity to meet some of the most knowledgeable people in green living and sustainability and find out how you can become involved. There are opportunities for others to follow the model. All that is needed are people committed to what they believe in.

http://www.mcla.edu/About_MCLA/uploa...minar_2014.pdf

Old 02-13-2014, 10:54 AM

After 10 years of being a stay-at-home mom I have begun a civic life in my community. I do a lot of promotion via social media, but I also try to find meaningful projects. The problem is that there aren't really all that meaningful projects right now. In November I got involved in the Buy Nothing Project operating out of Bainbridge Island. It is now international and looking to expand into it's first non-English speaking country in the coming month or so. It's a hyper-local gifting economy that strives to reduce carbon emissions, build community and reduce landfill waste. It's very inclusive to those who don't care about saving the planet. Anyone can start one in their own community if they wish, they simply need to contact the founder, Liesl Clark.

I'm also writing for our local community newspaper and I'm tasked with writing about green living and community development. I'm working on the Earth Day feature this week.

Also I got involved in the kids' school lunch program.. they are throwing away 50-60 plastic baggies every day. I'm collecting them, washing, drying them and on Earth Day I will be creating an interactive demonstration (putting them all on the ground to mimic what they would look like in a dump) about school waste. I am stuffing the bags with a picture of some type of natural element (flower, plant, animal, land formation) and on the back I record the date and lunch period the bag was taken out of the trash. I'm including a sheet of facts about school waste (like throwing away 60 bags a day) and our awesome waste management company, CleanScapes, is going to give me a flyer with a 15% off coupon for their retail store that offers a wide array of reusable and alternative, more sustainable products. The kids (and hopefully parents) will see what it looks like to have 1000+ bags on the ground and the kids can choose a bag (maybe they like mountains or flowers or animals) and take it home for education and proper disposal. Of course, I'm using post-consumer products for every stage of the project. The pictures are coming from two books bought at Goodwill, the printed data is coming from used paper at the school. I hope it becomes meaningful!

I'm also working with Sustainable Issaquah (my town) to create an educational series on Conscience Consumerism. We will be working on the 5 "R's" with special emphasis on Refuse.

I would like to partner up and work with businesses to provide more options on waste handling. I live in a new urbanism-inspired "urban village" and "green living" is well integrated into our community mission statements... Yet the local businesses in our urban village are NOT good stewards of our philosophies.

We have those interested in building and transportation... and food production.. and those are important to me, but my passion is for change in consumer habits. I want to steer people to choose more sustainable products and to choose less products.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:12 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,282,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
After 10 years of being a stay-at-home mom I have begun a civic life in my community. I do a lot of promotion via social media, but I also try to find meaningful projects. The problem is that there aren't really all that meaningful projects right now. In November I got involved in the Buy Nothing Project operating out of Bainbridge Island. It is now international and looking to expand into it's first non-English speaking country in the coming month or so. It's a hyper-local gifting economy that strives to reduce carbon emissions, build community and reduce landfill waste. It's very inclusive to those who don't care about saving the planet. Anyone can start one in their own community if they wish, they simply need to contact the founder, Liesl Clark.

I'm also writing for our local community newspaper and I'm tasked with writing about green living and community development. I'm working on the Earth Day feature this week.

Also I got involved in the kids' school lunch program.. they are throwing away 50-60 plastic baggies every day. I'm collecting them, washing, drying them and on Earth Day I will be creating an interactive demonstration (putting them all on the ground to mimic what they would look like in a dump) about school waste. I am stuffing the bags with a picture of some type of natural element (flower, plant, animal, land formation) and on the back I record the date and lunch period the bag was taken out of the trash. I'm including a sheet of facts about school waste (like throwing away 60 bags a day) and our awesome waste management company, CleanScapes, is going to give me a flyer with a 15% off coupon for their retail store that offers a wide array of reusable and alternative, more sustainable products. The kids (and hopefully parents) will see what it looks like to have 1000+ bags on the ground and the kids can choose a bag (maybe they like mountains or flowers or animals) and take it home for education and proper disposal. Of course, I'm using post-consumer products for every stage of the project. The pictures are coming from two books bought at Goodwill, the printed data is coming from used paper at the school. I hope it becomes meaningful!

I'm also working with Sustainable Issaquah (my town) to create an educational series on Conscience Consumerism. We will be working on the 5 "R's" with special emphasis on Refuse.

I would like to partner up and work with businesses to provide more options on waste handling. I live in a new urbanism-inspired "urban village" and "green living" is well integrated into our community mission statements... Yet the local businesses in our urban village are NOT good stewards of our philosophies.

We have those interested in building and transportation... and food production.. and those are important to me, but my passion is for change in consumer habits. I want to steer people to choose more sustainable products and to choose less products.
I think what you're doing is great!

As an aside, the seed of my continuing journey to trash-free living -- still have a long way to go! -- began many years ago with a trip to a landfill. I was absolutely horrified and vowed that day that I would become a more responsible consumer. Every couple of years, I return to the landfill to remind myself why minimizing my household waste is so important.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-13-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 PM

334 posts, read 582,495 times
I am really for the idea of "casual" gardens in cities. Stuck here and there. Community gardens, too. Shade pavilions stuck here and there in hot areas. Unusual, reused materials for driveways, houses, huts.

Tiny houses allowed, yurts or whatever allowed. But there are so many rules and regulations. Seems city "leaders" want to lead in foolish rules. And most HOAs are death to green living. People VOLUNTARILY live by crazy rules. Or have them foisted on them.

An example, in Midland, you can't put up a carport if it extends past where neighbors' housefronts are OR if it "affects" the look of the neighborhood. Even if it is within the setback from the street or side houses, it's a no-go. In the poor areas, anything goes. In the rich areas, they scream bloody murder at the thought of a carport. Rich areas have paved alleys. More concrete, more runoff the few times it rains.

Also, no sodding up the sides of homes. In other areas, either no cutting trees for passive solar, or no allowing trees to overhang a home so that it is shaded! All so stupid! So, even though it is tough to do, those who believe in green living are going to have to challenge these political animals who love to pass crazy rules.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:14 PM

FSM, I wanted to re-post something I wrote on another thread to ensure you know how much I appreciate what you've written here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
On another note, I loved flyingsaucermom's recent post about looking for inspiration in the green living forum. There are so many ways to approach living with a smaller ecological footprint. I'm happy to see the turn toward a more positive environment for discussion. I love hearing about what other people are doing! Even if it's impossible for me to put an idea into action right now, I'm always making notes for future projects.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
FSM, I wanted to re-post something I wrote on another thread to ensure you know how much I appreciate what you've written here.
Awe, thanks

Old 02-13-2014, 09:28 PM

I think the argumentative types are generally posters from P&OC, who just want a new group to rile up. If we ignore them, chances are that they'll get bored and move on, leaving us to have more constructive discussions. There's really no point in engaging someone who just wants a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living