Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,898,973 times

Advertisements

Is it Local? Portlandia

Portlandia - Is It Local? Restaurant (FULL VERSION) - YouTube

I am feeling a bit burned out. I have been interested in a green and self-sufficient lifestyle for the last few years but my perspective has changed. It is the same people on the same forums spouting the same thing with cult-like leaders. The members are also connected through Facebook and other sites. Many are living a Farmville existence. Dreamers who are stuck in the same place year after year looking for someone to rescue them. This isn't what it was all about a couple years ago. The movement has now become a cliquish fad. I am wondering if there are others that feel the same and are walking away from it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
I think people start to feel burned out because it can be exhausting to go against the flow. The need to explain yourself to others constantly, along with the ridicule that sometimes follows, can really wear you down. I know that my heart is in the right place, however, and that while I'm not perfect, the changes I'm making in my life do make a difference. So I try to ignore the naysayers and stay the course. I hope you can, too.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-26-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,007,627 times
Sustainable living is moving from the realm of the "hippie commune" to mainstream. For every person who wants to move "off grid" there are ten who are buying renewable energy from a retail supplier via the grid. Hybrid and all electric cars are becoming mainstream, even Consumer Reports is on board. It's hardly a "jump the shark" moment.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,429,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think people start to feel burned out because it can be exhausting to go against the flow. The need to explain yourself to others constantly, along with the ridicule that sometimes follows, can really wear you down. I know that my heart is in the right place, however, and that while I'm not perfect, the changes I'm making in my life do make a difference. So I try to ignore the naysayers and stay the course. I hope you can, too.
I've changed from trying to get others to make the small changes to just doing what I can. I still try to influence other folks on many of the sensible easy changes, but I've resolved to the fact that some people are very resisting to changing even if it's a minor change. I love readina bout little tips here and there though that I haven't thought of yet.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
Other than here on the forums, I don't talk a lot about my conservation efforts. The most visible aspect of my lifestyle are my shopping habits, which generally take me to stores where a large percentage of the customers are similarly inclined, so I rarely see anybody quirk an eyebrow at me. Sometimes a person will approach me and ask about my reusable baskets, bags, and glass jars at the grocery, but it's always been a positive interaction. If anyone has taken exception to my grocery shopping habits, they've kept it to themselves. Things I do at home are invisible to all but those in my inner circle, and they've all been supportive. I suppose in that way I've been very fortunate, but I do understand that others may face derision, and I imagine that must be very discouraging.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Is it Local? Portlandia

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8SjkDq2ZwI"]Portlandia - Is It Local? Restaurant (FULL VERSION) - YouTube[/URL]

I am feeling a bit burned out. I have been interested in a green and self-sufficient lifestyle for the last few years but my perspective has changed. It is the same people on the same forums spouting the same thing with cult-like leaders. The members are also connected through Facebook and other sites. Many are living a Farmville existence. Dreamers who are stuck in the same place year after year looking for someone to rescue them. This isn't what it was all about a couple years ago. The movement has now become a cliquish fad. I am wondering if there are others that feel the same and are walking away from it all.

OMG I laughed SO hard when I first watched this. I'm only 3 hours from Portland and I've got extended family there (they're naturopathic doctors even) so this was a lot of fun. Honestly, I would fit right in too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living