Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,469,501 times

Advertisements

People often say that when faced with suggestions of conserving water.

The picture in this is striking.

California's Drought: A Shocking Photo And Other Updates : The Two-Way : NPR

Now, if people had been smarter with their water consumption, could this have been a better scenario? Maybe, maybe not. Cannot really know. But we need to stop wasting water (we've made leaps over the past decades but we still waste a lot of water).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,440,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
People often say that when faced with suggestions of conserving water.

The picture in this is striking.

California's Drought: A Shocking Photo And Other Updates : The Two-Way : NPR

Now, if people had been smarter with their water consumption, could this have been a better scenario? Maybe, maybe not. Cannot really know. But we need to stop wasting water (we've made leaps over the past decades but we still waste a lot of water).
I saw that photo yesterday! Absolutely stunning, isn't it? I know this sounds a little self-serving, but I'm planning a larger garden this year and stocking up on canning jars, so I'll have tomato sauce come winter. Up to now I had hand-watered my raised beds, but this year I'll be putting in a carefully planned drip system to ensure that not a drop of my irrigation water goes to waste. I think we're going to see some pretty dramatic price jumps at the grocery later this year.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 AM

It's gonna get ugly for sure. Maybe people will start realizing water is not as disposable as we thought? Maybe it's not such a bad idea to have a rain barrel to irrigate our gardens instead of using the water that has been treated (wasting energy). Maybe "if it's yellow let it mellow" applies to more than just people with tanks. Maybe shutting the shower off while soaping up isn't crazy. Maybe diverting your washer machine's drainage to your yard isn't such a crazy thing to do.

It's amazing some small changes we can make that would save quite a bit of water and the processing of water.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM

I don't have the option of a rain barrel because I live in Colorado, an upper basin state, and the drier lower basin states of California, Nevada, and Arizona count on us to protect the flow they receive from the Colorado River. Even if our resevoirs are full, as they are right now, it's important for us to conserve. Fortunately, there are lots of other ways we've found to reduce our water usage, some of which you've mentioned.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-26-2014 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM

So are rain barrels illegal?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
So are rain barrels illegal?
Yes, for those of us who receive municipal water, which is the vast majority of Coloradans. Those who have wells and, therefore water rights, are allowed to have cisterns. I know it's a weird concept for people in wetter regions of the country, but in the west, the Colorado Compact ensures that there is enough water for everyone, meaning that those of us upriver have a responsibility to protect water access for those downriver.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-26-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 09:30 AM

So here's my confusion. They don't want you to impact the river for downstream towns, but, you're going to use muni water, which has been treated, because you can't use rain water. so your net consumption of water is greater, because you're using treated water. no?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
So here's my confusion. They don't want you to impact the river for downstream towns, but, you're going to use muni water, which has been treated, because you can't use rain water. so your net consumption of water is greater, because you're using treated water. no?
You're getting into territory I don't fully understand, so I'm afraid I can't further elucidate the matter. Sorry.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM

i'm not articulating it well. But essentially my point is....you're consuming the water either way, it's not like you're hoarding it in a massive tank. Consuming rain water means your saving rain water for the non rainy days to wet your garden. If you need to wet your garden though, you'll have to turn a sprinkler on with a hose? So now, you're using water from the city that was "treated" - which required energy, which requires water. So you're using more water than you otherwise have to.

It's like towns with grey water systems for toilets...you can conserve water by using grey water for certain things, and treated water only where necessary.

Someone can probably explain it far better than I can, but that's the basic understanding i have.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
i'm not articulating it well. But essentially my point is....you're consuming the water either way, it's not like you're hoarding it in a massive tank. Consuming rain water means your saving rain water for the non rainy days to wet your garden. If you need to wet your garden though, you'll have to turn a sprinkler on with a hose? So now, you're using water from the city that was "treated" - which required energy, which requires water. So you're using more water than you otherwise have to.

It's like towns with grey water systems for toilets...you can conserve water by using grey water for certain things, and treated water only where necessary.

Someone can probably explain it far better than I can, but that's the basic understanding i have.
Okay, I see now where you're going with this. All I can say is that there are many many competing interests in the western water wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living