Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,701,721 times

Advertisements

Open-minded but not always easy-going, San Francisco is the kind of place where it’s easy to do certain things that may prove to be more formidable — or even impossible — tasks in other major cities. Things like recycling your yoga tank, munching on hyper-local produce at a baseball game, composting the remnants of last night’s dinner party, and, until recently, going on a casual stroll around your neighborhood without pants.

San Francisco experiments with planter-based public pee stations | MNN - Mother Nature Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,245,645 times
Just think of the wonderful aromas and smells wafting around san francisco in the summer.

What a great idea to discourage tourists...

Old 03-02-2014, 09:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,423,779 times
Do I understand correctly that it doesn't have a roof? That might make one feel awkward in a city full of tall buildings. Otherwise, I think it's brilliant.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,245,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Do I understand correctly that it doesn't have a roof? That might make one feel awkward in a city full of tall buildings. Otherwise, I think it's brilliant.
Go to the article the OP started, it has an artists drawing... No no roof this is san francisco, if they have nude parks why on Earth would they put a roof on a pee stall?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,548,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Just think of the wonderful aromas and smells wafting around san francisco in the summer.

What a great idea to discourage tourists...
Reading that article doesn't sound like it could get much worse.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,423,779 times
As long as the urine was diluted, it would be a great source of nitrogen for the plants. There would be no odor unlike there is now with people taking leaks against buildings, etc. The reduced privacy would bother me, but that appears to be deliberate, since the city's automated toilets that provide privacy have become a magnet for unsavory behavior.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Yeah that reduced privacy would bother me too... But the alternative with a more private area is worse. You literally need someone to watch your back.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,703,128 times
Red face Works in europe, too progressive for even SF?

Works in Europe. I noticed that Amsterdam has two different types of outdoor urinal in the city center -- they have large freestanding "nautilus" stations where your body is out of public view but not enclosed:

On weekends they roll out these huge freestanding pseudo-pyramidal "pee stations", even putting them on the public square, these have no real privacy, but are certainly convenient!

Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM

Looks like they don't have women or don't care about them in those areas of Europe. Either that are their women stand up when they pee...

Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,268,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Works in Europe. I noticed that Amsterdam has two different types of outdoor urinal in the city center -- they have large freestanding "nautilus" stations where your body is out of public view but not enclosed:

On weekends they roll out these huge freestanding pseudo-pyramidal "pee stations", even putting them on the public square, these have no real privacy, but are certainly convenient!
This is exactly what I was thinking of .... except when I was there I only saw the freestanding, fixed ones .... kind of like a spiral to get in/out

I used a couple as the occasion merited

Really didn't see many in cities I visited beyond Amsterdam though, but they definitely didn't seem to be doing any harm

In SF or any domestic city I'd rather have something like that than a dingy, more expensive to maintain public bathroom or the situation where people are just going on the streets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living