U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Going Car-lite?
Thinking about it 2 9.09%
I'm car-free 0 0%
I've minimized my car use 6 27.27%
No way I'm giving up my car 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 636,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

By the weekend, I am sick of my car! And I hate circling the block for parking. And paying for parking.
I gots me a driveway and a garage. I drive my gigantic SUV into the driveway push a button and continue into the garage. After that, I pushes the magic button again and shazam, I'm inside a house. My garage is even heeted. I ain't that smart, but figurd oot parkin! Is you not as smert as mee?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM

12,971 posts, read 26,227,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
I gots me a driveway and a garage. I drive my gigantic SUV into the driveway push a button and continue into the garage. After that, I pushes the magic button again and shazam, I'm inside a house. My garage is even heeted. I ain't that smart, but figurd oot parkin! Is you not as smert as mee?
Obviously many car owners, particularly in urban environments, have neither driveway nor garage to keep their car in. For you it's not a problem. For others it is a major barrier to car ownership. When I lived in New York parking was the bane of my existence.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 AM

28,234 posts, read 33,984,874 times
Quote:
I have a garage in my apartment. That doesn't mean there is parking at my destination. My office doesn't have a dedicated lot, so some days I need to go to multiple lots to find a 10 hour space. The nearby commercial districts are usually pretty packed, so parking can take a while.......

And I am literally over it in sitting in the car by the weekend.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 636,349 times
Quote:
I have a garage in my apartment. That doesn't mean there is parking at my destination. My office doesn't have a dedicated lot, so some days I need to go to multiple lots to find a 10 hour space. The nearby commercial districts are usually pretty packed, so parking can take a while.......

And I am literally over it in sitting in the car by the weekend.
Lifestyle is affected by our choice of location. Once upon a time I lived in Manhattan, now I don't. Owning a car in a city is a lifestyle choice. I'd never return to Manhattan or any large city where vehicles were difficult to park, but that is a personal choice. At the same time, I wouldn't blame cars for trouble parking.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:43 PM

12,971 posts, read 26,227,298 times
Quote:
Lifestyle is affected by our choice of location. Once upon a time I lived in Manhattan, now I don't. Owning a car in a city is a lifestyle choice. I'd never return to Manhattan or any large city where vehicles were difficult to park, but that is a personal choice. At the same time, I wouldn't blame cars for trouble parking.
On the flip side, it is entirely practical to live in NYC (and several other major cities) without a car because the public transportation choices are so good. I still have friends there in New York who have never even learned to drive.

Personally, I grew up in the cornfields of the midwest, where you could... at that time... legally drive farm equipment and trucks on the back roads when you were 13. I took Driver's Ed classes when I was 15 so i could get my license for my 16th birthday, because it meant PERSONAL FREEDOM to me.

It's funny to me now to read of Millennials not getting driver's licenses because they don't want the expenses of driving and they prefer using public transit so they can use their travel time for social media updates.

So, yes, lifestyle is affected by our choice of location, and also our choice of location is affected by our lifestyle.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:34 PM

28,234 posts, read 33,984,874 times
Quote:
I don't find driving particularly fun or relaxing most of the time. Some people like to drive. I am not one of them. Unless there is no congestion, and uncontested roads.

I don't think it is good planning that we have made driving the de facto only place to go anywhere. Even stuff that is nearby.

Cars are not "bad." Bad is that driving is the only mobility choice and not having a car makes you a second class citizen in most of the US.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 AM

15,921 posts, read 18,975,492 times
I guess it all depends on where you live and the state of one's health when it comes to driving/bicycling doesn't it?

Where I live and the environment one rarely sees people on bicycles/scooters. Too spread out and too darned hot and humid.

No I'll never give up my vehicles...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:31 PM

6,614 posts, read 7,734,155 times
I drive a mile to get to work and a mile to get home, I drive about two miles each way to do the weeks grocery shopping. Other than that I do a lot of walking for errands like going to the post office, beer runs, etc.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:54 PM

4,783 posts, read 5,419,606 times
We have a house and a vacation home 25 miles away. Our house runs totally on electricity provided by clean hydro and our vacation home is off-grid and solar.

We do use wood for heating our vacation home....technically a carbon fuel.

The ONLY carbon based fuel we use it for our vehicles. We probably burn less than 50 gallons of gas a month.

We fly very rarely.

So why should I give up my vehicle for urban folks whose urban carbon foot-print is several magnitudes greater than mine?? Really, until everybody else starts cutting back their carbon-based fuels to my usage......I will just keep my vehicles. Including that one-ton diesel pickup.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 PM

14,017 posts, read 19,617,185 times
Quote:
One of the buzzwords around here lately is going "car-lite" (or car-light). In a nutshell using your car less. The motivations can be going green, saving money or becoming more active. There are cases where a car is the best mode, but many other trips that are feasible via other means. Most of us do our errands in a 2-3 mile radius.

Personally, I have been trying to make a path to going car-free, but things haven't quite worked out yet. But I have been trying to cut down on my car time, particularly since I started a new job that entails a 45-minute (driving) commute each way, and it can be 15-20 minutes longer if the traffic gods hate me.

By the weekend, I am sick of my car! And I hate circling the block for parking. And paying for parking.

Over the past couple years, I have been trying to use my car less in lots of little ways. The last couple of jobs I had were more transit friendly, and that was how I commuted. But lately, I have been trying to work on my non-work trips. I have less control over the work trips, that is all about where my job is at the moment.

But going out to dinner, shopping, getting groceries, dry cleaner, post office, going to the gym etc. All of this tends to happen in a 3 mile radius of my home, and are ideal trips to investigate options. It started with my trips to the gym. Mine is downtown, about 1.25 miles away. It also doesn't have a parking lot, so during the weekdays or Saturday, I'd have to deal with the meter and circling the block. So I started walking or taking the bus there. And then I started multitasking, and toting my reusable bag so I could stop for groceries on the way home.

I live in a pretty walkable area, but my favorite places are more like 1-3 miles away, vs the 1 mile to my local main street. Sometimes, you don't have time to do the longer trip, or walk 2 miles. I ended up getting a bike, and this opened up walk more places for me to visit. The ones with crappy transit connections to my neighborhood. Or when I go from neighborhood to neighborhood with impacted parking.

It has been great so far, I have outfitted my bike with racks and removable baskets, and have been biking to most errands over the weekend!

Anyone else reducing their use of their car by walking, transit-ing, biking, or scootering more?
You are not one of the anti-car fanatics and you are intelligent; I respect you and I believe it's possible to have a rational conversation with someone like you. What you are doing is very reasonable, and the only conceivable reason for anyone to give you flak about it would be if you are coming across as holier-than-thou, which you do not.

I, too, look for opportunities to walk. However, my motivation comes from the opposite side from yours; I am motivated by my enjoyment of walking and by my desire to get more exercise. I am not particularly motivated by a desire to reduce my car usage per se. I am 70, and I frequent an art house movie theatre about four miles away. Sometimes, but not all that often, I walk there (about one hour), watch the movie, then walk home. That gives me two hours of physical activity which I find very enjoyable because half of the route is along tree-lined, shaded streets with an almost semi-rural feel. I am fortunate to live exactly where I do.

I walk to the post office, library, grocery store, barber shop, and many restaurants (all much shorter trips than the art house movie theatre.) I consider one mile away (one-way) to be VERY EASY walking distance.

However, in the poll, I voted that I would never give up my car, because that is the true and accurate answer. Being a car-guy does not necessarily mean one is not also a walker of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living