U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 AM

642 posts, read 1,036,013 times

Advertisements

Here in NM, and in the western US in general, there seems to be growing concern regarding water shortages in the future.

One potential way to help stave off running out of water would be to use greywater for toilets. It seems kinda silly to me that we use the same grade of water suitable for drinking for depositing human waste. Considering every man, woman, and child flushes the toilet at least 5 times a day, there could be a substantial reduction of water use, rather than all of that good water going down the toilet.

Could this work? What would be the challenges in implementing this idea?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 PM

90,477 posts, read 86,574,616 times
Of course it could be used for flushing. I'm not sure, but I think some communities in Australia have dual fresh-water and grey-water systems in the homes. (?)

That's what it would take; dual plumbing systems in every home, which would be expensive. This should have been done decades ago (when was the first Earth Day, 1970?), back when the economy was strong and environmental consciousness was high. Now it could only happen in new developments, and the housing would be expensive, something only wealthier people could afford. Kind of like the Prius cars.

Here in the SW, there are Native American communities with their own sewage treatment systems that pipe grey water for various uses around the community. There's no reason gated communities and other developments, especially those whose residents could afford the extra cost, couldn't do the same, but they don't.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-22-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 628,292 times
Greywater is what I flush down my toilet. I don't want my flush to be backfed into the tank for the next flush.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:36 PM

90,477 posts, read 86,574,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
Greywater is what I flush down my toilet. I don't want my flush to be backfed into the tank for the next flush.
No, it's not. What you flush down your toilet is brown water. Grey water is what a sewage treatment plant produces.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:51 PM

5,832 posts, read 6,708,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, it's not. What you flush down your toilet is brown water. Grey water is what a sewage treatment plant produces.
This is incorrect. Grey water is what goes down the drain in a sink, bathtub, or shower. What goes down your toilet is called sewage or black water. The difference is that the latter contains human waste and the former does not. Both go to a sewage treatment plant. The discharge from a sewage treatment plant is called secondary treated effluent.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:31 PM

12,971 posts, read 25,864,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This is incorrect. Grey water is what goes down the drain in a sink, bathtub, or shower. What goes down your toilet is called sewage or black water. The difference is that the latter contains human waste and the former does not. Both go to a sewage treatment plant. The discharge from a sewage treatment plant is called secondary treated effluent.
Exactly right. ^^^^

And water from washing machines typically is also included in greywater, which can be used to flush toilets, and also to water lawns and landscaping, if you don't mind a little foam in your pansy beds.

There are a couple of challenges in using greywater... many older building codes and city codes do not allow it, although diverting drainwater from the shower to water the rose beds is unlikely to cause problems with authorities... it requires additional plumbing, and often a holding tank and a pump... there is a small, but nevertheless real concern about live bacteria in the greywater, such as salmonella in the kitchen greywater, remaining viable in the toilet tank, then aerosolized in the flush and and inhaled by the user. But I'd call that more a theoretical than a practical concern, although it does highlight the fact that kitchen sinks seem to be more of a risk to human health than toilets are.

Here on the Big Island a full septic system for wastewater disposal can be replaced by an approved composting toilet and a greywater disposal system for fully permitted dwellings. A greywater disposal system is like a much smaller septic system that primarily facilitates absorption of the drainage water into the ground.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 PM

4,715 posts, read 9,583,863 times
I wish I could just use grey water to water my grass instead of it all going into the Septic tank... I agree OpenD - only new developments/houses would be able to go this, but it should be done. And any new housing permits, it should be code and required.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 PM

7,280 posts, read 9,927,782 times
Lots of areas allow for grey water irrigation of landscaping, it isn't a real big deal, no tanks or pumps required.

When you introduce a holding tank into a grey water system you are generally creating a problem because within a very short period of time (a couple of days or less depending on temps) the grey water in a holding tank becomes black water and illegal to use for irrigation.

Storing grey water for more than a day is where a lot of people go wrong with such systems and why some communities and cities don't allow them.

A well designed grey water system doesn't use a holding tank, doesn't need a pump and insures that no grey water leaves the property on which the grey water system is operating.

Many development agencies publish the necessary information to calculate the soil absorption rates so that the grey water system's impact can be managed properly.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 7,461,825 times
Many years ago when I dreamed of "living off the land" Publications which I read like Mother Earth News featured plans for this regularly.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
If I pee and it's a light pee, is it gray water flushing down the chute or black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living