Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 07:53 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times

Advertisements

Remind me NOT to move to Cameroon on a lake formed on top of a Volcano or really near any volcano. (Sorry OpenD)

Byron1022 - So what's the answer? Not everyone has access to coal, not everyone has access to anthracite coal. How's that coal burning working out for China?

I have always been a proponent for the cheapest and cleanest way to generator power. Hard to have a wind farm out in the ocean if you are a land-locked state or country. Hard to do PV/Solar if you are in an area that is persistently cloudy/overcast, and same goes for hydro if you don't have the correct water resource. All of these have their limitations and problems. However, as much as possible the least bad should be developed and used.

I haven't been convinced that one form of power generation should be the worldwide standard. Natural Gas and coal (hopeful relegated to the cleaner coal) or fuel will be the choice of backup power generation for a long time. However, if you can generate some a different way, it makes that resource last longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Remind me NOT to move to Cameroon on a lake formed on top of a Volcano or really near any volcano. (Sorry OpenD)

Byron1022 - So what's the answer? Not everyone has access to coal, not everyone has access to anthracite coal. How's that coal burning working out for China?

I have always been a proponent for the cheapest and cleanest way to generator power. Hard to have a wind farm out in the ocean if you are a land-locked state or country. Hard to do PV/Solar if you are in an area that is persistently cloudy/overcast, and same goes for hydro if you don't have the correct water resource. All of these have their limitations and problems. However, as much as possible the least bad should be developed and used.

I haven't been convinced that one form of power generation should be the worldwide standard. Natural Gas and coal (hopeful relegated to the cleaner coal) or fuel will be the choice of backup power generation for a long time. However, if you can generate some a different way, it makes that resource last longer.
The sad part is the US will be behind others that come up with new ways of implementing these green technologies, all because the US is more concerned with profits and not leading the world in innovation. If innovation was our goal we'd all have green energy already.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:16 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Open D......Plants need CARBON DIOXIDE......you sure you don't mean carbon monoxide.............One ofte way to cut toxic emissions is by filthy rich people cutting down on their intake of rescources via five houses/ ten cars/ three jets........
THEIR CARBON FOOT PRINT EQUALS the size of some small town.
It's hard to believe that anyone today does not understand that reducing our CO2 emissions globally is one of the main goals of the ecological movement, and of government treaties and regulations all over the planet. A consensus of climate scientists agree that atmospheric CO2 is the leading factor behind the climate change we are currently experiencing, and the increased acidification of our oceans caused by a absorbed CO2 is causing profound shifts in undersea life, which may have profound impacts on the amount of food we can harvest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
D from Birmingham not true. Anthracite coal is quite clean and the plant is in one spot as opposed to stretched over miles.
Anthracite is cleaner than bituminous coal in terms of visible smoke, particles, etc., yes, but it still produces large quantities of CO2. Natural gas is cleaner than anthracite, but it still releases CO2. And all this CO2 released from burning fossil fuels is building up the CO2 level in our air, and in our oceans with many detrimental results. That's why replacing even a portion of that energy production with clean, zero-emissions, renewable energy from wind and solar power is such a big deal.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 AM

9,694 posts, read 10,032,275 times
May cut power from the coal and gas emissions plants but through the investor market will drive electricity prices through the roof as the global market under cuts our economies by the government lack of excesses taxes for their investors in the global market the jobs gains could be short lived ..... See these investors should be limited to companies who do not pollute the air with the same standards ...For example China air pollution

Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,324,817 times
Why is it that I rarely ever see the wind chargers ever spinning? I drove a semi over the road for a year and knew where all the big wind farms were, and yet I never saw them spinning. I was talking to a wind farm technician and he told me that they don't allow them to spin unless the wind is at 22 knots or higher. He went on to say that they need 30 knot winds for any real power output. He said they used to allow them to spin in lighter winds purely for public relations so that people could point at them and feel good. Below 22 knot winds they don't produce enough power to even connect them to the grid.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Why is it that I rarely ever see the wind chargers ever spinning? I drove a semi over the road for a year and knew where all the big wind farms were, and yet I never saw them spinning. I was talking to a wind farm technician and he told me that they don't allow them to spin unless the wind is at 22 knots or higher. He went on to say that they need 30 knot winds for any real power output. He said they used to allow them to spin in lighter winds purely for public relations so that people could point at them and feel good. Below 22 knot winds they don't produce enough power to even connect them to the grid.
DualWingGenerator | Festo Corporate

Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 AM

947 posts, read 1,465,858 times
Quote:
A number of those turbines don't need such high winds. There are turbines that can generate power even with eight mile per hour winds.

Also the turbines don't need to spinning like a fan to produce power. The world's 10 biggest wind turbines - Power Technology

Even with them spinning slowly these huge turbines generate power.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,736,876 times
The problems with wind power are: 1.) temporal misalignment between supply and demand and 2.) high fixed costs. These are related: when the wind is blowing and the demand is low, the owners of wind systems have to keep their units running to pay off high fixed capital costs, but in doing so are forced to sell onto the grid at well below full costs of operation (fixed + variable costs). This hurts their balance sheets.

Any energy economist knows this, but when wind power was subsidized, it didn't matter to the developers. They over-built and made quick profits on their investment when they sold the units to the utilities that were under pressure from state regulatory boards to develop renewable resource generating units. Typically, utility board members have also not been the brightest candles burning on the earth.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The problems with wind power are: 1.) temporal misalignment between supply and demand and 2.) high fixed costs. These are related: when the wind is blowing and the demand is low, the owners of wind systems have to keep their units running to pay off high fixed capital costs, but in doing so are forced to sell onto the grid at well below full costs of operation (fixed + variable costs). This hurts their balance sheets.

Any energy economist knows this, but when wind power was subsidized, it didn't matter to the developers. They over-built and made quick profits on their investment when they sold the units to the utilities that were under pressure from state regulatory boards to develop renewable resource generating units. Typically, utility board members have also not been the brightest candles burning on the earth.
You clearly have no understanding of how the grid is operated. Dispatching of grid connected generation is done without regard to fixed costs. Dispatch is done on a variable cost basis. In addition there are "must run," "must take," and "take or pay" classifications to various plants. Finally in the United States developers don't overbuild because they must negotiate a power supply contract with the host utility before they can get financing for their plant.

Please refrain from posting about subjects on which you are profoundly ignorant. It wastes bandwidth.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,002,180 times
Quote:
You are misinformed. The GE 1.5 MW turbine produces 100% power at 25 mph wind.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living