Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times

Advertisements

We don't use a clothes dryer at all. I think it ruins your clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 682,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The same may be said of machine washing with detergent, or just wearing cloths for that matter. Eventually the stuff goes, it's cloth.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM

26,661 posts, read 28,737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Exactly. Why is there a lint filter? Because the clothing is shedding, which it doesn't seem to do if it's line dried. It probably ruins clothing in other ways too.

But dryers sure come in handy when it's damp or rainy or in a winter snowstorm.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:48 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,966,413 times
For me, the solution is to put the wet clothes in the dryer for 10 minutes or so, take them out and hang on hangers. The hangers then go on an outdoor line (in warm weather) and a rack indoors in the cold weather. They dry nicely and generally don't require ironing.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A heat pump dryer recaptures that hot air, removes the moisture from it, and then pumps it back into the drum to dry more clothes."
That's where the savings will come from but if it isn't making it's own heat and the initial heat is coming from inside your heating bill will go up. You'd be robbing peter to pay paul and then some because of losses of efficiency.

It would seem to me the ideal setup would be a regular dryer with an addition of a heat pump heat pump on the vent. That said this can't be easy maintenance because now you have lint traveling through a heat pump.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The hangers then go on an outdoor line (in warm weather) and a rack indoors in the cold weather. They dry nicely and generally don't require ironing.
You can dry clothes in freezing weather as long as it's not too damp, just takes a looooooooooooong time as in take them it at night and put them back out in the morning,

Old 04-07-2014, 12:16 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Exactly. Why is there a lint filter? Because the clothing is shedding, which it doesn't seem to do if it's line dried. It probably ruins clothing in other ways too.

But dryers sure come in handy when it's damp or rainy or in a winter snowstorm.
Fortunately, I'm in Sunny South Florida so we never get cold or snow and the rain moves out within 15 minutes

Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Europe's Clothes Dryers Consume Half As Much Energy As America's - Forbes

I believe the first round of this heat pump dryer technology is finally going to be making it's way to the US soon. It would be a great way to save energy, because the second largest consumer of the average household is the dryer, right after the refrigerator.
While I can tell that the OP intent was good...he/she has OBVIOUSLY never waited 2 hours for a load of laundry to dry (and I am talking a European "load" which does not hold more than 3 pairs of jeans at a time!) or he/she would NOT be interested in one. OMG, people living offbase in lots of Europe without American washers/dryers actually go to the base laundry mat to do all their wash in one afternoon because if they tried with those European washers it would take 2 full days to do a weeks worth of laundry!

Having said that, the german style clothes drying racks are the BEST ever!!!! There is a HUGE reason for that, but google it and you will find wonderful, entire load type of racks to dry your clothes on from Europe.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,532,369 times
OK, so what is the problem with the larger washer/dryer integrated models? I was thinking of going to one of these when we moved. I could put two of them in the same space that I need for a separate washer/dryer. I figure with the amount of clothes we go wear in a day. Three of us wear at least two sets of clothes a day due to uniforms required for schoo/work. and sometime three sets if the kids are doing sports after school. Really adds up quick. This way we don't end up having to wake up at O Dark Thirty to switch the clothes from the washer to the dryer in the morning like we do now.

The older tech heat pump dryers were in a couple of condos we rented and they took FOREVER and a day to dry small loads of laundry, so I get that. Almost like it has to boil away the moisture. Unless these are very different, no thanks.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,401,031 times
The most noticeable change with an upgrade to high efficiency washer was how much before the wash cycle the drier finished. Gotta love that savings! It is too bad young families with kids doing the most laundry are the most often forced to buy low end, non he equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living