Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,532,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I haven't heard anything about that and frankly that is ridiculous if that is what they are doing. We use 220 for more things than just the dryer; a compressor, mig welder and backfeeding a generator.
I guess they will have to put natural gas in all places then too... I don't have natural gas to the house either. Not too many people have natural gas in the surrounding areas where I live either....

My EV Car charges better at 220V instead of 110V... So people are actually ADDING 220V outlets....

My sprinkler pump, pool pump, and air compressor all use 220V as well... I can wire them for 110V, but they don't work as well at that voltage.

Just don't see 220V going away until the above is either natural gas or works better at 110V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,005,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

In some states in an effort to cut the overall population's electric use (to delay and or prevent the need to build new power plants, take loads off strained grids, etc...) by code no new homes are being built with 220V-240V outlets. The idea is to get persons to use natural gas instead.
Link? All homes are built with 240 (or 208) standard in the United States. It's how the circuit breaker panel is built. This sounds like pure bs to me. Central air, electric stoves and ovens, electric dryers, and a host of other appliances come standard as 240.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Link? All homes are built with 240 (or 208) standard in the United States. It's how the circuit breaker panel is built. This sounds like pure bs to me. Central air, electric stoves and ovens, electric dryers, and a host of other appliances come standard as 240.
Will see if one can find exact mention/wording. The ban or whatever apparently is not statewide but individual CA local areas and has to do with trying to keep a lid on demand.

What happens is areas where water heater, laundry and perhaps heater is fed by a natural gas line for new construction, no 240v. If the owner wants to have such a thing installed then they have to pay themselves.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,532,369 times
Sounds like racketeering between the city and the gas company to me.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Will see if one can find exact mention/wording. The ban or whatever apparently is not statewide but individual CA local areas and has to do with trying to keep a lid on demand.

What happens is areas where water heater, laundry and perhaps heater is fed by a natural gas line for new construction, no 240v. If the owner wants to have such a thing installed then they have to pay themselves.
The service that comes into every house is 240. What you're describing makes no sense. All I need to get 240 is a ganged circuit breaker that taps both phases at tbe circuit breaker box. One phase to neutral gets you 120.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,966,129 times
Quote:
The service that comes into every house is 240. What you're describing makes no sense. All I need to get 240 is a ganged circuit breaker that taps both phases at tbe circuit breaker box. One phase to neutral gets you 120.
I think you missed the point. There is a difference between having it available and it being part of code and/or provided when the house it built.

Yes, one can get 240 as you described but that doesn't mean it is getting done without the customer paying for that as an option or add-on later. Looks like that is the the poster was trying to say, was pretty clear.

Some counties are requiring EV car hookups though, even if you don't have one or plan to. The cost is minimal when the home is built, people do pay more for fancy faucets.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
I think you missed the point. There is a difference between having it available and it being part of code and/or provided when the house it built.

Yes, one can get 240 as you described but that doesn't mean it is getting done without the customer paying for that as an option or add-on later. Looks like that is the the poster was trying to say, was pretty clear.

Some counties are requiring EV car hookups though, even if you don't have one or plan to. The cost is minimal when the home is built, people do pay more for fancy faucets.
No. it'as you who don't understand. 240 volts is standard in virtually all grid connected houses in the United States (some house get 208). There's no "option" to pay for and nothing to add later. It's there from the very beginning. You and the previous poster suffer from ignorance about how electricity is provided to homes in the United States.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,710,718 times
I can see if a home has a natural gas range, clothes dryer, water heater and central heat that the 240v. circuits to those appliances could be omitted, but it is not practical to have central AC without a 240v. circuit. I can't imagine a new home being built anywhere in California without central AC unless it's some sort of hippiedippie experimental thing. Well, maybe someplace like Crescent City on the north coast could do without central AC. A 120v.-only installation would be more common in an apartment than a house. I have two 240v. receptacles in my garage, one for my air compressor and one for my arc welder. The compressor motor starts quicker and runs cooler on 240v. and it would be impossible to use the welder on 120v.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM

31,947 posts, read 27,074,534 times
Quote:
No. it'as you who don't understand. 240 volts is standard in virtually all grid connected houses in the United States (some house get 208). There's no "option" to pay for and nothing to add later. It's there from the very beginning. You and the previous poster suffer from ignorance about how electricity is provided to homes in the United States.
No, *YOU* don't get it, so bite your lip.

It does not matter if 240v or even 400v comes to the box, but what circuits are run out of the panel to various outlets. What some local ordinances seem to be doing in parts of CA is saying when new construction is done a 240v outlet is not installed in the laundry area to (to power a dryer presumably), rather a natural gas line instead. The idea is to promote use of natural gas instead of electricity for drying clothing. What a homeowner does afterwards is their own business. They can either run the line/install the outlets themselves or hire an electrician to do the work. Local governments must be banking on costs and other factors proving to be a discouragement and people will just switch to a gas dryer.

In case you still do not comprehend let me break it down like a fraction:

You move into a new home and find there isn't a 220v/240v outlet for your electric dryer or anywhere else in the house. But there is a gas line for the dryer connection.

Your options are:

A - plug the dryer into the existing 120v outlet
B - check the panel box to see if running a 240v line is possible and if so do it yourself or hire someone.
C - chuck the electric dryer and purchase a gas heated version
D - Answers "B" and "C"
E - None of the above

Old 04-09-2014, 06:09 PM

No such ordinance exists as far as I can find. Running a new receptacle box has got to be one of the cheapest projects one can do on a house. It's certainly cheaper than piping the appliance for gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living