Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,965,303 times

Advertisements

Samsung has developed a process to mass produce Graphene.

The availability of mass production Graphene will also impact almost every other manufacturing process as well. Stronger than steel, transparent and soon to be mass produced, a lot of what we see made today, especially in certain technologies will see huge strides in development.

Samsung’s graphene breakthrough could finally put the wonder material into real-world devices | ExtremeTech

Posted here because it will impact this area as much as any other. Investors all over who are into lithium ion or other battery technology just got big lumps in their throats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,303,713 times
This is very interesting to me, as I have watched the "hot" area of nanomaterials progress from nanotubes and nanowires to graphene over the last decade or so. I will be very interested in seeing if they develop a simple way to pattern the graphene on the single nanometer length scale. If so, there could be some very interesting 2D quantum confinement effects for optical devices as well. I could also imagine some interesting sensor applications using the FET devices with receptors of some sort covalently bonded to one side of the graphene sheet. As a graduate student I attached antibodies to carbon nanotubes, and in the presence of antigen the impedance was changed in proportion to the antigen concentration. Graphene would theoretically be even better for this application, and it would be much more suitable for patterning in an array as well.

Is there anyone here that is is an expert in graphene? I have some simple questions about the impedance of electron transfer across a graphene/metal junction, and I can't seem to find the answers in the literature.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,965,303 times
Samsung managed to create the process whereby the germanium is reusable so that large scale production isn't far off. Not years and years for sure.

Given that Samsung make displays, they are probably already there with their new production processes, Apple is buy trying to make Sapphire displays for it's mobile technology, Samsung heads to graphene. While the competition between those two is another topic, Samsung is doing anything but following.

I think we'll see this technology and material showing up in consumer products within two years. Limited at first but the demand for the material will drive development since the mass production barrier seems to have been breached.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:02 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,468,589 times
It's pure speculation at this point, so I'll offer my own... it's a completely new material, with a promising lab demonstration, but even the article you quoted points out that at this point..."This doesn’t mean that we’ll suddenly see computer chips made out of graphene instead of silicon, though — we still haven’t found a way of giving graphene a bandgap, which means it’s actually fairly useless as far as digital computing goes. "

I'd say 5 years to get to early market, 7 years before it's established.

But then, as you keep saying, planning for the future is important, so let's then sequester the technology for at least 10 years before we release it to the public so we can be absolutely sure what we're dealing with here. Everybody assumes this stuff is safe, but we don't know what it will do once it has been released to the wild. I mean, it COULD be the worst disaster ever set loose on the environment. You can't prove it wouldn't be, and there's been NO PLANNING, as you like to say.

Then, if someday by and by, IF graphene batteries do pan out, then I'm sure all the manufacturers using batteries, from watches to lawn mowers to EVs will switch technologies when it makes sense to, no hay preblema!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:00 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,303,713 times
Graphene is pencil lead. There is tons of it in the environment. This process is just a way of producing it with few enough defects that it is useful on a scale small enough that the material properties dominate rather than the defects. Before people were interested in patterning it, it was produced by peeling 3M tape off of a graphite rod. and then dissecting the layers.

The reason that it is a green technology is that it is a way to replace many of the toxic heavy metals used in electronic devices. Once scientists figure out a way to 'dope' the 2D crystal structure, or some other way to engineer a band gap, a wide range of applications open up and the sky is the limit. Until then, it is nanoscale wiring. As someone else indicated, the first application of this technology will be in displays, as graphene is highly conductive even when patterned so thin that it is effectively transparent. A second application, one that I am particularly interested in, will be for use in sensors in the form of field effect transducers. The previous iteration of FET's, MOSFET's, were based on the CMOS fabrication technology, or complementary metal oxide semiconductor, and used metals or now polycrystalline silicon along with doped silicon crystals. While optimized to a tremendous extent by companies such as Intel, graphene based devices potentially have some serious advantages in areas such as power consumption, speed, optical properties, and eventually, cost and resource use.

I probably have a bit of tunnel vision on the sensors aspect, but I am currently involved in a major multimillion dollar a year project (grant)to develop sensor systems that would benefit from this technology, so I am keeping an eye on it.

I would also not bet against Samsung getting this technology out in commercial devices within three years or so.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:08 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,531,697 times
Anyone see the israeli firm that developed a samsung phone battery tht can charge in 30 seconds and for short time after its removed it keeps charging the battery. someone hinted that they might be using graphene.

Charge your cell phone in 30 seconds - Apr. 7, 2014

Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,402,806 times
Here's an interesting hemp-to-graphene article:

BBC News - Hemp fibres 'better than graphene'

Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,531,697 times
Interesting article and goes along with my thinking that multiple technologies and sources for energy are required to make this a better world. In the article chacho_keva posted - the author had a statement that hemp can do everything graphene can do, but it does some things better and at a greatly reduced cost.

What I like about it, is that it is taking something that would normally fill up a landfill and making a super-capacitor out of it. Hopefully this works as well in the real world as it does in the lab.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,614,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Samsung has developed a process to mass produce Graphene.

The availability of mass production Graphene will also impact almost every other manufacturing process as well. Stronger than steel, transparent and soon to be mass produced, a lot of what we see made today, especially in certain technologies will see huge strides in development.

Samsung’s graphene breakthrough could finally put the wonder material into real-world devices | ExtremeTech

Posted here because it will impact this area as much as any other. Investors all over who are into lithium ion or other battery technology just got big lumps in their throats.
Graphene's electronic properties are strongly dependent on impurities and thus on how it is synthesized.

It will be important to control these before the commercial applications are wide in scope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living