Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times

Advertisements

Research into producing safe, clean, abundant energy from nuclear fusion has been "in the future" for so many decades that I've become a little tone deaf to the oft repeated "but we're getting closer." I've come to regard research into using fusion to produce energy as something akin to Achilles pursuit of Zeno's tortoise... the machines just get bigger and bigger, and more and more expensive... but no matter how close we get, we'll never actually arrive there. Or so it has seemed at times.

In this charming Ted Talk from Vancouver, with a different perspective, Canadian scientist Michael Labarge discusses the various approaches to producing fusion, and shows how the output from these various projects has been steadily increasing in a trend that has been following Moore's Law, then points out that the two biggest and most advanced projects in the world currently were technically feasible many years earlier, but were delayed by politics. And he points out that the amount of financial subsidies devoted to fusion research is merely 1/2 of 1% of the total subsidies devoted to oil and gas and renewable energy.

Then he gets to the fun stuff... a radically different approach using a spinning molten lead bath (absorbs neutrinos!), being struck by carefully synchronized steam powered hammers, to collapse a plasma field in the middle holding a deuterium pellet target, causing fusion, which generates heat, which generates steam to spin a turbine generator, and keeps the lead liquid, and drives the steam hammers to the next strike a second later.

Only time will tell if this somewhat zany-sounding $50 million project will work or not, but the talk is fun, and I was inspired by these comments...

Quote:
"Most people think that fusion is in the future and will never happen, but as a matter of fact, fusion is getting very close. We're almost there. The big labs have shown that fusion is doable, and now there are small companies that are thinking about that, and they say, it's not that it cannot be done, but it's how to make it cost-effectively."

https://www.ted.com/talks/michel_lab...nuclear_fusion

Last edited by OpenD; 04-23-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
How synchronized hammer strikes could generate nuclear fusion
Have they tried a sickle? I'm told a hammer and sickle work well together.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,988,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
Have they tried a sickle? I'm told a hammer and sickle work well together.
That was good. I've heard that head smacks can do much the same.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 683,428 times
Mack,

I tried to give you a thumbs up, but the computer tells me I'm at my current limit for you. My reaction was mostly motivated by one too many dumb TED talks videos. The quality of TED talks is very uneven, and of late, seems to have increased in quantity and decreased in quality. Glad you enjoyed the humor.

If SNL can ever get their heads out of gutter sniping Republicans for a few minutes, a pseudo TED talks about something really stupid could be very funny as a beginning to the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living