Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 PM

248 posts, read 341,722 times

Advertisements

At that price point, absolutely. It carries groceries and maybe once in a while another person, has windshield wipers and heat/AC, that's all I need. If I want to drive the interstate, I'll rent a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,509,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
At that price point, absolutely. It carries groceries and maybe once in a while another person, has windshield wipers and heat/AC, that's all I need. If I want to drive the interstate, I'll rent a car.
People ride motorcycles on the interstate all the time and are fine, and these Elio's are designed for a 5 star crash rating, that is better than a lot of cars. Yeah, they are small and light, but they still have full roll cages, crush points, airbags, etc...

But I agree, it is more practical to use this for commutes and rent a car when you need extra passenger/cargo capacity.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,540,398 times
Xander_Crews - Go for it - build them and make a fortune.

Kinda like the performance stand-point, looks, and the 50 mpg. As far as being worried on the interstate - people ride motorcycles all the time on them. Why would that ENCLOSED vehicle make people nervous?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Xander_Crews - Go for it - build them and make a fortune.

Kinda like the performance stand-point, looks, and the 50 mpg. As far as being worried on the interstate - people ride motorcycles all the time on them. Why would that ENCLOSED vehicle make people nervous?
I mostly just want to build a unique one for myself, but it has crossed my mind to market it if I execute the idea well enough, ha ha. For now it is just a garage style project I hope to drive one day.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:44 PM

Do it and post it here...

Old 05-02-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Do it and post it here...
Thanks for the motivation, ha ha. I will look at replacing my welder this weekend.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Always wanted to do a project like that, but I don't have all of the skills necessary and hiring people for custom work gets too expensive really fast. (I know, because I embarked on a project like this years ago) So I wish you luck, apparently you have all of the skills required.

Getting performance and good MPG - sounds like win-win to me. More people would drive fancy looking energy efficient, inexpensive cars with a performance aspect to them.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Always wanted to do a project like that, but I don't have all of the skills necessary and hiring people for custom work gets too expensive really fast. (I know, because I embarked on a project like this years ago) So I wish you luck, apparently you have all of the skills required.

Getting performance and good MPG - sounds like win-win to me. More people would drive fancy looking energy efficient, inexpensive cars with a performance aspect to them.
My brother and I have been discussing this, and we are thinking we may build two... One that has more supercar styling with a turbo 1400cc engine, and a more toned down but still cool looking hatchback styled model that has a little more focus on commuting. (More cargo space, possibly a third seat.) This one would probably have a naturally aspirated 1000cc engine.

If I get too involved in this, it may become a commercial venture. If it did, I could possibly develop the vehicles further.

It would be nice to be able to sell the top end model for less than $15K, seeing how it would embarrass $250k supercars in every aspect except for top speed. Unless you spend a lot of time driving on runways, that doesn't matter.

Luckily, I have a bunch of experience with fiberglass, mechanics, machining, welding, etc... and so does my brother and a few of my friends. This project is relatively low cost assuming I can get wrecked bikes with the back end intact for the power plants.

Maybe I could build my own, and then build them on contract to test the market. I wonder if you have to do all the government paperwork with regulations and junk if you do them on contract, it seems you can get around it by selling the cars in kits, but consumers don't want to buy a car in an Ikea style kit, ha ha.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,881,729 times
If I were trying to balance safety, performance, cost and fun in a car, I would build a Factory 5 Type 65 Coupe with a V-6 engine. If I were really creative I would use the energy recovery system from a wreaked Hybrid. The result would be a safe two place car capable of 50 mpg and decent performance.

Most of these cars are built as high acceleration and speed sports cars capable of very high performance.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I were trying to balance safety, performance, cost and fun in a car, I would build a Factory 5 Type 65 Coupe with a V-6 engine. If I were really creative I would use the energy recovery system from a wreaked Hybrid. The result would be a safe two place car capable of 50 mpg and decent performance.

Most of these cars are built as high acceleration and speed sports cars capable of very high performance.
Yeah, but at that point, you might as well do a V6 Datsun 240z or Porsche 944. The type of performance I am talking is 0-60 in less than four seconds, 1/4 Mile in around 12 seconds.... those numbers are in the Ferrari 458, Porsche GT3, etc... range. It just wouldn't have the same top end as those cars, and would be prone to more oversteer, but I figure I could look into some sort of custom ECS system, and possibly making the vehicle lean into the turns ever so slightly.

Don't get me wrong, the car you describe would be cool, but I don't see it putting down "super car" numbers. Also, I am talking a build for under $15K, yours sounds more like a $50K+ project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living