Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:02 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,506,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
According to the blog it's going to be another year and a half before they are in full production, and have dealers, etc., so patience will be required.
Yeah, I know. I have done a lot of reading on them, and I know the timetable... just wish it was shorter is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 PM

19,090 posts, read 27,667,472 times
Also, for those who pointed out that $100 deposit IS refundable:

Old 06-24-2014, 11:26 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,586,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I think I would buy one just to try it out.

It gets 84 miles to the gallon on the highway. That means you can go from Detroit to New York City on a tank of gas – or drive from Shreveport LA to Dallas and back – then back to Dallas again – and still have about 110 miles left before a refill. How is that possible?

Elio Motors: Ultra High Mileage Vehicle
Um, didn't something like this, only more expensive, already come out? Isn't this just another covered three-wheeled motorcycle masquerading as a car?

Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Um, didn't something like this, only more expensive, already come out? Isn't this just another covered three-wheeled motorcycle masquerading as a car?
Not quite, I mean we are talking climate control, radio, etc... all the creature comforts of a car, none of the reverse trikes to be released that I know of have these features, and they have all been kits you build around the rear-end of a motorcycle.

This is a car in every sense of the word, and it was built as a car from the ground up. (Not a motorcycle to trike conversion.) Our government may say differently, but just because it has 3 wheels does not mean it is a motorcycle.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Our government may say differently, but just because it has 3 wheels does not mean it is a motorcycle.
It has to be registered as a motorcycle, and you need a motorcycle license to operate one, so what the government says is significant, and the point needs to be clear.

You can call it whatever you want, but legally it's a motorcycle... just as the $50,000 Morgan Roadster is. And when you poke around in the history of the Morgan Three Wheeler, which has the body of an English sportscar, it was designed that way to take advantage of the lower costs of registration and insurance, and now, the stringent safety requirements for "real cars."

Old 06-25-2014, 06:40 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,759,954 times
55 hp, with a .9l engine I wouldn't think it would be to safe on the highway, or any where other than short city drives. If they didn't cost so much I'd feel much better in a Campagna Motors T-Rex.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It has to be registered as a motorcycle, and you need a motorcycle license to operate one, so what the government says is significant, and the point needs to be clear.

You can call it whatever you want, but legally it's a motorcycle... just as the $50,000 Morgan Roadster is. And when you poke around in the history of the Morgan Three Wheeler, which has the body of an English sportscar, it was designed that way to take advantage of the lower costs of registration and insurance, and now, the stringent safety requirements for "real cars."

I know A LOT about three-wheeled vehicles, the reason they are designated as motorcycles, etc... I am looking at building my own from the ground up.

Nothing in this post is new to me, and I stand by what I said. Yeah, the government says it is a motorcycle, but that DOES NOT indicate that it is built with motorcycle parts, that it has lower safety standards, etc... And it is not the same thing as the motorcycle based kits that have came out in the past. Based on CAR safety standards, these Elios are suppose to be around 5 stars for safety.

To play it off as just another modified motorcycle is dishonest, no matter how you register it.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
55 hp, with a .9l engine I wouldn't think it would be to safe on the highway, or any where other than short city drives. If they didn't cost so much I'd feel much better in a Campagna Motors T-Rex.
I would feel totally safe... if I wasn't surrounded by SUV's and big rigs. If I was driving long distance in one, I would probably stick to two-lane highways, I don't think it would have a problem then.

The T-Rex is cool, especially the Aero 3s, but it isn't fully enclosed from the weather, doesn't have the same safety features, doesn't have the same creature comforts...etc. That is why I plan on building my own version, the T-Rex is too stripped down for me, and the Elio isn't fast enough for me.

I wan't to build mine with a ZX1400R engine, around 180-200HP.

At that point, you are talking super-car performance, especially if you bolt-on a turbo.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post

Um, I think this has all been done before.
You would be wrong.

This is not a kit, nor a one-off prototype. Neither of those vehicles have all the advantages of an Elio, and have a couple that the Elio does not have.

Just because something is similar, does not mean it has been done before. That is what innovation is. Are either of those things planned for mass production with a sticker price under 7k?

Should we ignore this because the Peel P50 and the Peel Trident existed? They are both 3 wheel production cars, FAR closer to the Elio than what you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living